Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boarded flight but disembarked before takeoff due to delays: mileage credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I booked a 2-segment trip, and the trip occurred a few days ago. I boarded the first flight, but it was delayed for 2 1/2 hours due to weather. The FAs let people get off if they wanted to see about alternative routings, so I got off, was rebooked on a flight from another airport, drove quickly to the airport, took the new flight, and arrived home. I received miles for the new flight, but not the first flight that I originally boarded but then left. So instead of getting credit for 2 segments, I got credit only for 1.

If I ask for the miles for the first flight, will I get them?

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. Why on earth would AA credit you for a flight you did not fly when you chose to be rebooked on another flight?

The only situation where AA would credit you is had AA rebooked you onto another carrier. In that case, it might have granted Original Routing Credit (ORC) for the flight you voluntarily changed. But, the sticking point, even in this scenario, is that you voluntarily changed your ticket.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I booked a 2-segment trip, and the trip occurred a few days ago. I boarded the first flight, but it was delayed for 2 1/2 hours due to weather. The FAs let people get off if they wanted to see about alternative routings, so I got off, was rebooked on a flight from another airport, drove quickly to the airport, took the new flight, and arrived home. I received miles for the new flight, but not the first flight that I originally boarded but then left. So instead of getting credit for 2 segments, I got credit only for 1.

If I ask for the miles for the first flight, will I get them?

Thanks.
I've been offered "Original Routing Credit" in cases like this in the past (when I've requested it), however it has been a few years.
ibrandsguest and jacobguo like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you both. Since I boarded the first flight and sat on it for about 90 minutes, and since I paid for a 2-segment trip for about 600 miles, but got a 1-segment trip for about 525 miles and drove the rest of the way, hopefully I'll get something. I'll ask.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: none
Thank you both. Since I boarded the first flight and sat on it for about 90 minutes, and since I paid for a 2-segment trip for about 600 miles, but got a 1-segment trip for about 525 miles and drove the rest of the way, hopefully I'll get something. I'll ask.
You should almost get credit for the segment you almost took. You're entitled to that much and It's only fair.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might be able to ask for ORC, but they you wouldn't get any credit for the itinerary you actually flew.
ibrandsguest and JDiver like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might be able to ask for ORC, but they you wouldn't get any credit for the itinerary you actually flew.
this.

and the key is checking your earnings. Rebooking can occur in full fare Y or J sometimes, so even if the new route is shorter, the EQM and EQD component can post higher than it actually was (more EQM, but have seen EQD also post weird).
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So, in summary, you're chasing 75 miles? Generously, worth about $1.25?
Old May 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by CPRich
So, in summary, you're chasing 75 miles? Generously, worth about $1.25?
I think he is more interested in the extra segment. Could be the difference between attaining a higher status or not.
Spiff and ibrandsguest like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by genotonda
I think he is more interested in the extra segment. Could be the difference between attaining a higher status or not.
Yes, you're correct. Plus 500 more EQMs.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:00 pm

never mind
Old May 16, 2018, 10:59 pm

I think the fact that you boarded and sat on it for 90mins is irrelevant here.

Basically your booked flight was disrupted so you were rebooked onto an alternative routing. Seems like a fair case for ORC here.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can request Original Routing Credit and accrue what you would have accrued originally in terms of miles. You won’t get credit for both the flown and discarded itineraries, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.