Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RUMOR: AA nonstop JFK-GIG / Rio flights go seasonal > Mar 2019

RUMOR: AA nonstop JFK-GIG / Rio flights go seasonal > Mar 2019

Old May 17, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It is a direct flight. Fact.

All nonstop flights are direct.
Not all direct flights are nonstop.

It is perfectly correct to call this a direct flight. And the vast majority of readers seeing that title would also correctly understand that this is a direct (nonstop) flight.
calling a nonstop flight "direct" is unnecessarily making it ambiguous if you mean the nonstop flights or ones that stop along the way. just better to be specific so people aren't confused. Being specific and more accurate/less vague also better shows you actually know what you're talking about, too.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I wonder where they will reposition these JFK/DFW-GIG birds?
move to Miami or Dallas? The only viable European flight left for AA to use 777 is LHR from JFK. Maybe seasonal CDG and MAD if we are lucky. I can see AA doing all 4 daily B777-300 to LHR in future instead of 2 B777-200 and 2 B777-300 currently. Also looks like DFW will be the de facto B777-300ER base for AA. 777-200 will be spreaded among LAX DFW MIA while B787-8 is for ORD and MIA. B787-9 destined for LAX and DFW although not exclusively.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
"Direct" in the industry can mean single-plane multi-stop and nonstop flights. "Direct" to most people outside of the industry means nonstop. Given how ingrained the meaning is outside of the industry, I think it's fair game for a poster to choose whichever definition is preferred. Yes, confusing, but readers know what's intended by the context.
DMPHL and meb55 like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:52 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moderator note: Let’s move on from the direct/non-stop discussion and stick to the topic at hand. Thanks! /Moderator
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA
So AA's JFK-GIG route will operate only seasonally starting in 2019, from December thru March, much like Delta's JFk-GIG service now. United never offered EWR-GIG service. And LATAM (AA's partner) recently dropped their JFK-GIG service entirely. So basically, there will be no nonstop flights at all from NYC to Rio for most of the year from April until December?

I know most Americans tend to go to Rio from December thru March to escape the cold weather, for Christmas, New Year, Carnaval, and Spring Break, but lots of Brazilians come to NYC from June-August. This is a big gap in service across all four carriers (AA, DL, UA, JJ). Rio is a big city with tourism both coming from, and going to, NYC; it's not some seasonal destination... this surprises me.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wiivile
So AA's JFK-GIG route will operate only seasonally starting in 2019, from December thru March, much like Delta's JFk-GIG service now. United never offered EWR-GIG service. And LATAM (AA's partner) recently dropped their JFK-GIG service entirely. So basically, there will be no nonstop flights at all from NYC to Rio for most of the year from April until December?

I know most Americans tend to go to Rio from December thru March to escape the cold weather, for Christmas, New Year, Carnaval, and Spring Break, but lots of Brazilians come to NYC from June-August. This is a big gap in service across all four carriers (AA, DL, UA, JJ). Rio is a big city with tourism both coming from, and going to, NYC; it's not some seasonal destination... this surprises me.
and lots of vacationers are price sensitive, meaning they can handle a stop in MIA or somewhere else.

the premium commanded by the NS isnt seemingly worth the aircraft use.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:09 pm

I think this has to do with Brazil's poor economy more than anything else. Brazilians can't afford to come to the U.S. anymore with the dollar commanding 3.50-4.00 reais. Ridership of Brazilian tourists coming to the US must be low, and Americans only go from December-March.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Brazil isn't doing so hot, but with oil prices the way things are, things should be getting better.

I think part of the issue relates to the fact that AA probably isnt thrilled with having a 772 sit on the ground for 13 hours. Not an effective use of aircraft resources.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please direct any further questions or discussion about “direct” or “through” vs. “nonstop” flights to the existing thread, One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd), which has definitive information in the Wikipost at the top of the page. Recent posts on that topic have been moved to that thread.

The FlyerTalk Glossary, available through the Help menu at the top of the page, also provides guidance:

DIRECT FLIGHT - This is a tricky one. The term "direct flight" can actually be applied to any routing that maintains the same flight number throughout the entire course of the routing, even if the routing contains enroute stops or requires a change of airplane. Strange but true.
Thank you,

Old May 27, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Brazil isn't doing so hot, but with oil prices the way things are, things should be getting better.

I think part of the issue relates to the fact that AA probably isnt thrilled with having a 772 sit on the ground for 13 hours. Not an effective use of aircraft resources.
Did you hear about the truckers' strike in Brazil? Things won't be changing anytime soon.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:09 pm

It's just quite astonishing how AA and LATAM *both* offered daily JFK-GIG service, and now neither will have anything from April-December. Shows how severe the situation in Brasil is...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.