772 to 77W upgauge - who gets F seats?

Old May 14, 18, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive, IHG Gold
772 to 77W upgauge - who gets F seats?

Tomorrowís (5/15) flight 220 is currently showing as a 77W instead of the normal 772. I know things can definitely change between now and then to change it back to a 772, but in the event itís operated by a 77W, who gets the F seats? How do they re-work the J pax since the seat numbers donít match up?

Do those pax in rows 1 and 2 luckily get upgraded to F cabin or do they push everyone back two rows and then put others in the F cabin?

I assume the F cabin would still be J service, right?
Old May 14, 18, 11:38 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
who gets the F seats?
non-revs
Old May 14, 18, 12:30 pm

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Originally Posted by asf-07 View Post
non-revs
Lol
Old May 14, 18, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Lol
On a serious note it is exactly non-revs that comes to my mind as well. I know a couple non-rev's SO who monitor the availability like we do...
Old May 14, 18, 12:39 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Why would there be an expectation that J passengers would be moved up to F seats? The J cabin on the 77W is bigger than the J cabin on the 772.
adunker and Fanjet like this.
Old May 14, 18, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
Why would there be an expectation that J passengers would be moved up to F seats? The J cabin on the 77W is bigger than the J cabin on the 772.
That would be a sense of entitlement. 'There's something better, so they should give it to me for free.'
adunker likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
No expectation. Iím just wondering systematically how the computer would process this upgauge. Rows 1 and 2 on the 772 are J but are F on the 77W. If the computer isnít programmed to automatically shift everyone back two rows then those who are assigned to rows 1 and 2 would then be sitting in F seats not J. Iím not sure how smart AAís systems are, or if in these situations it all manually intervened to move everyone around into the right places.
Old May 14, 18, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
That would be a sense of entitlement. 'There's something better, so they should give it to me for free.'
or maybe AA should give the F seats to high-value passengers who haven't flown in F may book F in the future?
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gino Troian View Post
or maybe AA should give the F seats to high-value passengers who haven't flown in F may book F in the future?
Or open up some award space! But we all know non-revs are better for AA's bottom line.
Spiff and Zacnlinc like this.
Old May 14, 18, 6:54 pm

Programs: EXPLT
Back in 2008-2009 time frame (I was EXP at that time)..there was no AA app..smartphone use and timely updates were not in-crowd yet, and the only way u cud see seat maps and get boarding passes were thru home computers or hotel lobbies that had that computers set up solely for boarding passes.

Anyway i I was on MIA-DFW..orig scheduled on a B752, upgrade confirmed up to biz. Apparantly there was a last minute tail swap to a then 3 class B772. While at the gate ready to board I was talking to another pax and I recall he said that when he went online to aa.com fm home b4 he left to print his boarding pass and double check his seat..he thought it was a mistake that the seat map totally changed and every seat in first class and biz class for this flight was clickable ( he too was EXP). He went and clicked a first class seat as it was a seat option avbl to him..and it held true when he got to the airport. He thought it was a mistake but the staff relayed the tailswap deal and that was that. By the time I got to the airport and learned of the tailswap..all first class seats were gone .. and the only way I learned of this was my seat number changed!!

This all was a while back and learning of the new 3 class acft meant also a little luck in getting online fm PC in a timely manner..and while this experience may not directly relate to how the situation in the OP will be handled..I wanted to pass a somewhat similar experience.
Old May 14, 18, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
I would suspect/expect that the computer would allocate F seats in some sort of pecking order according to upgrading procedures.

This reminds me of a situation when we were traveling from SFO-SJU via PHL a year ago and there was an AC change in PHL from A332 to 767. We book F and when it came to the PHL-SJU leg we were separated between F and Y when the new seat assignments began to unfold at PHL. Needless to say that with minimal speaking with gate agent, it was noted of the error and someone was downgraded.

I suspect now that AA has new programs to help with rolling people over to classes if there's an upgrade/downgrade of AC accordingly... All they need to do is look at fare classes accordingly..
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
That would be a sense of...good business sense. ďWell we have the seats, so lets see which of our [paying] customers are most deserving.Ē

FWIW, my parents were on EZE-MIA a couple years ago, upgraded them into J with miles/copay. I think it was < 24 hours before departure when I upgraded them (most likely < 48) and was showing 2-class 772 flat beds, but ultimately ended up swapped to the old 3-class 772 with sloped seats. From what I could tell from them (they arenít so observant about the details like most FTers..) the front cabin was left empty. I think CX does the same on 3-class aircraft operated on 2-class routes, except perhaps to the extent they need the extra premium seats. (But of course CX doesnít have the non-rev culture/benefits). From a cabin service perspective, it may also be operationally easier to keep F fully empty, although thatís probably more the case on the old 772 vs. the 77W where itís just a flimsy bulkhead/curtain separating F from J.
Old May 14, 18, 8:16 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, MeliŠ Gold, Radisson Gold. National Exec Elite, Hertz PC.
Well, I'd expect the regular upgrade method will apply: J full fare tickets, then AAdvantage first tier on J and so on.
Old May 14, 18, 8:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I suspect AA has a few virtual versions of the 77W seatmap available to use in a non-F market. One could be a high J version configured 60J/244Y, and another is a low J 8J/296Y (short domestic flights).

When swapping to a 77W one off, then may be easier to just swap it in as one of those and then allocate seats accordingly.
Old May 14, 18, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Regardless of who got the F seats, in these situations I would assume the service would be normal J service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: