Community
Wiki Posts
Search

772 to 77W upgauge - who gets F seats?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 8:59 pm

Fake news. Not seeing a 77W anywhere as a sub on this route.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Why would there be an expectation that J passengers would be moved up to F seats? The J cabin on the 77W is bigger than the J cabin on the 772.
Agreed. And, why would there be any expectation that non-revs would be moved into F? Is there some contractual reason non-revs would get the opportunity to enjoy F ahead of Y revenue passengers on the upgrade list?
Old May 15, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I would suspect/expect that the computer would allocate F seats in some sort of pecking order according to upgrading procedures.
one would hope, but I highly doubt it. AA still cant post EQMs properly on paid W (Premium Economy) that is upgraded to J using a SWU.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:39 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Aircraft subs aren't that rare and don't always go to a plane with more seats in each cabin. Since there should be a reasonable number that aren't so "easy", surely there is some sort of process/policy in place.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
one would hope, but I highly doubt it. AA still cant post EQMs properly on paid W (Premium Economy) that is upgraded to J using a SWU.
The W to J upgrade is a relatively new thing, but AA has in the past operated 3 cabin planes on 2 cabin routes, like the old AA 762s, those had 10/30/128 in F/J/Y. On some flights like JFK-BDA or LAX-IAD, they’d operate 10/158 and on LAX-MIA, they’d operate 40/128. So AA has had experience selling a 3 cabin plane as a virtual 2 cabin before...
Old May 15, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcatman
Agreed. And, why would there be any expectation that non-revs would be moved into F? Is there some contractual reason non-revs would get the opportunity to enjoy F ahead of Y revenue passengers on the upgrade list?
I think the original non-rev comment was tongue-in-cheek.
If AA opens up the seating in the F cabin, it would likely treat it as J. If they're not selling F on the route, they're not going to offer F service.
But in any event, this enlarges the J cabin (moreso than even the swap to the 77W which has the largest real J cabin in the fleet), and so from that perspective there is additional opportunity for revenue Y passengers on the waitlist/standby list to be cleared into J as well as opportunity for nonrevs to clear into J. Everyone wins, really.

The question really is who gets assigned the "better" seats in J (the seats-otherwise-known-as-F-seats). The pax who originally had booked rows 1/2 on the 772? EXPs then PlatPros? Full J/D fares? Nonrevs? Nobody? Whoever asks at the gate? Lots of possibilities.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That would be a sense of entitlement. 'There's something better, so they should give it to me for free.'
FWIW I didn't see any self entitlement tone in the OP's post. He was merely questioning what happens in such a situation.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think the original non-rev comment was tongue-in-cheek.
If AA opens up the seating in the F cabin, it would likely treat it as J. If they're not selling F on the route, they're not going to offer F service.
But in any event, this enlarges the J cabin (moreso than even the swap to the 77W which has the largest real J cabin in the fleet), and so from that perspective there is additional opportunity for revenue Y passengers on the waitlist/standby list to be cleared into J as well as opportunity for nonrevs to clear into J. Everyone wins, really.

The question really is who gets assigned the "better" seats in J (the seats-otherwise-known-as-F-seats). The pax who originally had booked rows 1/2 on the 772? EXPs then PlatPros? Full J/D fares? Nonrevs? Nobody? Whoever asks at the gate? Lots of possibilities.
When LAX-DFW was a 3 class 772 (old) or a 3 class 77W sold as 2 class, the J seats were sold as MCE. So who ever was PLT up or paid MCE got the J seats.

Similar, but it may work this way here. J service, first come first serve for the F seats.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When LAX-DFW was a 3 class 772 (old) or a 3 class 77W sold as 2 class, the J seats were sold as MCE. So who ever was PLT up or paid MCE got the J seats.

Similar, but it may work this way here. J service, first come first serve for the F seats.
Right, but the difference is an unexpected equipment swap vs. a scheduled flight, and there's no equivalent to MCE in a J cabin.

Given that there will be up to 8 pax already assigned in rows 1 & 2, it's certainly possible (and maybe even likely, if I had to guess) that they'll just get to keep those seats on the new aircraft.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC

Used to get this regularly between LAX and EWR. Loved the Capt. Kirk woolly mammoth seat!
Old May 15, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by socalduck
Used to get this regularly between LAX and EWR. Loved the Capt. Kirk woolly mammoth seat!
On a 772?

I am only familiar with the 16 F suites, 2-3-2 NGBC slidy seats and 2-5-2 Y. Maybe this was pre-NGBC?
Old May 15, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
772's have been upgauged to 77W's a few times in the past 2 weeks ex-DFW, actually.

Look at AA48's history recently, and AA997 was a 77W sub in a couple of nights ago.

Thus, I wouldn't be surprised to see DFW-AMS upgauged for some reason.

AA is utilizing the 772's really highly right now, it seems. I believe DFW is sending out 18 777's per day right now alone.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
No, it was the old 762.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Pretty sure they rope off the F cabin and it usually goes out empty in these situations. F seats would be allocated if the plane change also resulted in a smaller J cabin.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tfjim
Fake news. Not seeing a 77W anywhere as a sub on this route.
It was showing for the 5/15 flight for about a day and then switched back to the normal 772. As I mentioned in my original post things change all the time up until departure so I wasn’t expecting the 77W to stick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.