Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Old May 15, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasondc
Why you chose to Capitalize all these Random words in your complaint. I Get that You were Upset, but that doesn't Mean that you Capitalize words that Don't need to be capitalized.
Maybe OP is German by origin?
danhunterpost likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No. In German only nouns are capitalized, like this:
The OP was upset because there were Delays due to mechanical Problems and an Aircraft change that made her miss the Graduation of her Nephew.
OP is also upset because the Flight was not catered.
Despite having received a full Refund from AA for her Ticket, it seems the OP still wants more from AA.
What exactly, Nobody knows.

(OP capitalizes Verbs and Adjectives, which is not a German thing).
Old May 15, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Nah, no umlauts were used or harmed in that complaint.
ijgordon and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I clicked on this thread just to see the classic OP complaint followed by mostly unsympathetic 'it's your fault" answers.

I feel for the OP, it sucks when things like this happen. But yes, we have all had similar infuriating situations with various airlines from time to time. I've had a quick overseas trip delayed an entire day once (and Delta lied and said it was weather related, but I could tell it was mechanical related from data provided on one of the flight tracker websites -- I believe that Delta kept to their lie to prevent from admitting that they owed me any concessions). It cost me a couple hundred dollars in sunk costs, and more importantly, it robbed me one out of three days I actually had for sight-seeing before being drowned in a work related workshop for the remainder of the trip. It was the last time I flew Delta (though, mostly because they are inconvenient for my travel needs). Anyways, the OP message is better to warn and remind others that you can never count on reaching a destination on time, not to warn 'aadvantage account holders'. We already know that AA isn't great when it comes to these sort of things, not that any other airline is any better really.

Originally Posted by OP
]Hey! He actually offered to Refund My Ticket! Wow, I'm ecstatic with the noble offer! How much did it put AA out to go that far? That was mighty gracious of them! That is only to be expected! But, to think that is a satisfactory resolution to my experience? Laughable!
This is where I lost most of my sympathy with the OP. It became a total DYKWIA rant here. I for one, would not expect a refund and would be thankful for the gesture.

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Certainly allergies can flare and be worse on some days than others. But OP's claim that she got a severe cold because of her allergies doesn't really add up - colds are caused by viruses whereas allergies are an immune response (putting it simply). Sure OP could've gotten a cold on top of having allergies, but having allergic rhinitis doesn't cause colds.

In any case that's besides the point, somewhat.
It is besides the point, but I had to chuckle at this. As a college professor, I have gotten LOTS of excuses about allergies flaring up and causing colds, headaches, etc, on exam days. It has been so ubiquitous that I have put it on my syllabus that Allergy symptoms are not excused absences here or in life.

And one last point, I don't get people's obsession with college graduations. This seems like one of the most minor things to miss in life. Maybe it is because they are a twice yearly part of my job, but honestly -- graduation is nothing but a photo-opt.
jasondc, MSPeconomist and apeortdz like this.

Last edited by MarkOK; May 15, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old May 15, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
An aviation "professional" would have known to leave the day BEFORE. Mechanical delays happen and nobody wants to fly on a plane which has been deemed unsafe by another aviation professional.

If the OP had been delayed by a full day, then it would be a legitimate complaint. Any aviation professional understands that flying on the day of graduation is risky and that the event might be missed. Sorry to be harsh, but this is the bottom line here.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK

This is where I lost most of my sympathy with the OP. It became a total DYKWIA rant here. I for one, would not expect a refund and would be thankful for the gesture.
The flight was delayed so long OP decided to not fly. Why would you not expect a refund?
"At this point I was going to miss graduation, so decided to call it a day."
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Does AA have a policy that a delay of more than some number of hours entitles you to cancel and get a refund? If so, what's the time limit?
Old May 15, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Probably the second most commonly used, only slightly trailing the very popular "every sentence gets its own line" format.
Duly noted: A trip of a life time spoilt in part ... also includes missed events, vowing to write to AA, recognition that FT is a tough crowd, etc.
arlflyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Does AA have a policy that a delay of more than some number of hours entitles you to cancel and get a refund? If so, what's the time limit?
This is from the UK site and is specific to advance schedule changes, but it's probably a good guideline nonetheless. If anything, day-of IRROPS probably increases your flexibility.
https://www.aa.com/content/images/uk...delines_UK.pdf
61-120 minutes - refund to voucher
121+ minutes - refund to original form of payment.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelgeek1197
Listen, I’m sure this was frustrating. But when you tell a story to a group of people, and they all give you the same response it may be time to take a step back and realize that perhaps self reflection is required. A full refund is pretty awesome and certainly nothing they were required to do.

Maybe the facts you so kindly pointed out as being “obvious circumstances” because of your experience and mental falcuty may not be to those around you. Whether you had a choice or not the moment you were set up to travel on the same day an event occurred was the moment a situation like this became possible.

This gets filed under “why flying sucks sometimes” and there simply is nothing anyone could have done about it. For someone with so much “operational experience in this industry” I’m shocked you don’t understand the difficulty that equipment swaps can present and that it’s not simply always possible or the panacea to all problems.

Cheers,
TG

How is a full refund in this case considered to be awesome? This was a trip in vain and the CoC requires a full refund. If OP didn't take any flight on the ticket, the full refund would also be required by USA DOT regulations.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by carlosdca
No. In German only nouns are capitalized, like this:
The OP was upset because there were Delays due to mechanical Problems and an Aircraft change that made her miss the Graduation of her Nephew.
OP is also upset because the Flight was not catered.
Despite having received a full Refund from AA for her Ticket, it seems the OP still wants more from AA.
What exactly, Nobody knows.

(OP capitalizes Verbs and Adjectives, which is not a German thing).
Here's my attempt to Germanize the text. Notice the adjectives and nouns strung together into single long words as well as the capitalization of Nouns.

Die Txskylady (or Frau Dr. Txskylady) had become upset because there were Delays due to Mechanicalproblems and an Aircraftchange became necessary. As a Result, she had to lose the Universitygraduation of her Nephew the Student.

Originally Posted by richarddd
I'm pretty sure it would be two hours, but sometimes the customer must explicitly use the words "trip in vain" especially if travel has already started and the passenger wants to return to the origin and get a full refund.
carlosdca likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Here's my attempt to Germanize the text. Notice the adjectives and nouns strung together into single long words as well as the capitalization of Nouns.

Die Txskylady (or Frau Dr. Txskylady) had become upset because there were Delays due to Mechanicalproblems and an Aircraftchange became necessary. As a Result, she had to lose the Universitygraduation of her Nephew the Student.
Lol, I was being facetious. I know next to nothing about the German language, other than what looks like weird capitalization and long words (kartoffelsalat is one of the few words I know...don't ask).

I'm pretty sure it would be two hours, but sometimes the customer must explicitly use the words "trip in vain" especially if travel has already started and the passenger wants to return to the origin and get a full refund.
Yes, trip in vain really only refers to after travel has begun, and there's an issue in the connecting city that causes a significant delay that will result in a pointless trip, so the pax wants to be flown back to the origin and receive a full refund. Based on my reading of the OP, she was just flying nonstop DFW-TUS, so not exactly the same. I don't know if returning to the gate really counts as having started the trip, although I suppose if the GA had closed out the flight, technically travel had begun, although I don't think they would consider it a trip-in-vain, just a severe delay.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
(kartoffelsalat is one of the few words I know...don't ask).
Completely off-topic, but when I was in elementary school I went on a trip to France, and when I came back, everybody's name was petit pois.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Even more OT, one of my favorite words in German is Frauenbustenhalter. You should be able to guess what this means. [It might be just from certain regions of Germany.] Also, an umlaut might need to be sacrificed here.
TSparky likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
With regards to this refund business, I don't know the 'rights' involved in such a case. All I know, is that when I am getting delayed for mechanical (or any other) issues, I am not getting an offer to refund my nonrefundable ticket. Ever. More like "our obligation is to get you to your destination, if you want to abandon the ticket than that's on you".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.