Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would like to try in-flight wifi. Have reservations next week. Please help.

Old May 12, 2018, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium

I am the AU on a SPG Business AmEx and I have a DiscoverMiles card. Both offer in-flight wifi. I've never tried it. I called SPG to ask about the card benefits and how to connect but the hold time was ramping up my pre-trip to-do list anxiety. It was a rather last minute travel plan and I've spend hours for days on the phone with call centers getting things arranged.

Can someone give me the details how to use either one of these cards for complimentary in-flight wifi?

I'm on a 788 for the outbound and a 333 on the return.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Your post doesn't give a lot of information but .... I'm assuming you're flying internationally by the type of aircraft so you won't be using domestic GoGo. I have an Amex Plat and don't think it offers anything on GoGo. I'm assuming you mean the Business Amex allows you to have a Boingo account which you will need to set up before you fly. I'm not sure, however, that it covers inflight wifi on the Boingo plan ....

Additionally, while AA's new domestic provider wifi which is being rolled out gradually allows login with a Boingo account, I don't remember whether Panasonic does.

In any event, make sure you have a Boingo account before you fly and maybe it will work. You definitely can't set it up in the air. Google Boingo/Panasonic and maybe you can get some more info,
Old May 12, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, I'm flying internationally. The SPG rep I had said I could set up a Boingo account. She transferred me to Boingo dept. to set up account but the hold time was lengthy. I'll try again later.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:32 pm

https://amex.boingo.com/ ???
Old May 12, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

You're a dear. Thank you. I just got off another 1/2 hr. call center for other business.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Pretty sure Boingo doesn't partner with Panasonic but please report back and let others know
Old May 12, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I don't believe there are credit cards in existence that grant free WiFi on international American flights. Boingo does not offer free WiFi in the air--only at numerous hotspots on the ground. I'm afraid you'll have to pay $19 per flight (or whatever it is) out of your own pocket.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gardengirl
You're a dear. Thank you. I just got off another 1/2 hr. call center for other business.
Just so you are clear, Boingo doesn't provide in-flight Wifi if that is what you were thinking. Boingo only provides Wifi on the ground (for example, in the airport)

Regards
Old May 12, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
If you are the authorized user on the SPG Amex, you are not going to be able to get the free Boingo account. The primary card holder would need to set up the account and theyd have to give you the log in info. But be careful, the primary cardholder and you wouldnt be able to use the same Boingo log in at the same time. Also unusual log in patterns can get the account restricted.

With the Discover Card, the $30 credit towards inflight wifi is applied automatically on your statement.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
I
With the Discover Card, the $30 credit towards inflight wifi is applied automatically on your statement.
Ahhh. This is what I was hoping to hear about. I knew I got $30 towards wifi but I don't know how wifi is charged. Do I use my credit card on the plane? Is it $19 per flight like mentioned above?
Old May 12, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Ahhh. This is what I was hoping to hear about. I knew I got $30 towards wifi but I don't know how wifi is charged. Do I use my credit card on the plane? Is it $19 per flight like mentioned above?
You can set it up on the aircraft. There will typically be 1 hour, 4 hour, and per flight rates, free access to aa.com (which you can use to see if your set up works), and maybe some free entertainment.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I have an Amex Plat and don't think it offers anything on GoGo.
My AX Plat gives me 10 or 12 free WiFi coupons per year I've used on AA GoGo --At some point during the buying process I get a box that shows how many coupons i have left and if I want to use one. I would say I think they go one per flight as opposed to for the day.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
My AX Plat gives me 10 or 12 free WiFi coupons per year I've used on AA GoGo --At some point during the buying process I get a box that shows how many coupons i have left and if I want to use one. I would say I think they go one per flight as opposed to for the day.
An Amex Plat in the US?

I haven't heard of that benefit but I have t-mobile so GoGo is free for me.

I think the Boingo account with the US Amex Plat might work on the Viasat planes, but didn't have the account set up when I had a viasat plane. I believe the new SPG Amex Card specifically says its Boingo benefit won't work in aircraft.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

I don't have Amex Plat. Mine are SPG and AmEx Everyday.

Well this is embarrassing. I can't find my Discover card. Looked in my card basket, wallet, other purses, pockets, car. . . Had to call Discover and have them send me new card. Guess I'll save the $30 credit for another flight.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
An Amex Plat in the US?

I haven't heard of that benefit but I have t-mobile so GoGo is free for me.

I think the Boingo account with the US Amex Plat might work on the Viasat planes, but didn't have the account set up when I had a viasat plane. I believe the new SPG Amex Card specifically says its Boingo benefit won't work in aircraft.
It's the Business Platinum card that offers 10x Gogo wifi passes per year, not the personal Platinum card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.