Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Comparing AA flight arrangements to what UA (Lufthansa) has to offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium

My DD and SIL have been given orders to return to the States from their station in Europe. Before she returns, we talked about an impromptu trip for us to meet up for a visit to Wales, where my grandfather came from. Because they didn't get the details for their transfer until yesterday we couldn't book anything. Last night I began moving points around to line up hotel and my flight over. I haven't had much time for thorough research.

I have an option on AA and UA. With the late booking there was no availability into Cardiff or Bristol so I decided to go to VCE and spend the night at the airport hotel. DD will join me there and we will use Easy Jet to Bristol.

The AA option is DTW-ORD-VCE. The good parts are less points, longer flight time (therefore more sleep), 787-800. The negative is a 4 hr. layover in ORD. I will have lounge access and can entertain myself with reading and sewing.

The UA option is DTW-FRA-VCE. 747-400. It's on Lufthansa. No long layovers. I love the Lufthansa Business service when the planes actually fly. I've gotten caught in their strikes a couple times and rebooked and lost days on the itinerary. Negatives: It's a shorter flight so the last time I had trouble getting to sleep between DTW-FRA (actually didn't sleep). I'm not keen for all the transfer drama in FRA. It cost more miles.

It seems the AA option is the better one.

On the return AA option: VCE-PHL-CLT-DTW. A330-300 out of VCE. 3-1/2 hr. layover in PHL. A321 PHL-CLT (no ff seats left in business so downgraded to Economy). A319 to DTW.

UA option for the return:

VCE-FRA-ORD-DTW. A320 (Business), 747-800 (Business), A319 (Economy). Good - no long layover. Negative - more miles.

I don't know how to compare the planes/service between AA and Lufthansa. Can I please ask for help?
Old May 9, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I can't speak to Lufthansa (last time I was on one of their planes was an A340 in 1999).

Business on the AA 788 (787-800) is quite nice, although many seats suffer from the "motion over the ocean" issue (the seats are paired, so if your neighbor is an active sleeper or lounger, your seat moves). Nonetheless, the hard product is very good, and I can notice a difference in my level of rest with the higher humidity and lower altitude cabin pressure. On a Business class ticket, you should get Flagship Lounge access in the Chicago, which is, in my (and my wife's) opinion, the nicest lounge at ORD.

The way back is more of a tossup. I'd much rather clear customs in PHL than ORD, though. ORD customs are awful, and in a separate terminal from all domestic flights.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you that was very helpful. There weren't many seat possibilities left on the 787. I got a single seat on the left side of the plane. It is the last row of Business. The news about clearing customs in PHL is very helpful. The fact that it's VCE-PHL and then customs instead of VCE-FRA-ORD customs. I should be much less tired at customs in PHL.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Thank you that was very helpful. There weren't many seat possibilities left on the 787. I got a single seat on the left side of the plane. It is the last row of Business. The news about clearing customs in PHL is very helpful. The fact that it's VCE-PHL and then customs instead of VCE-FRA-ORD customs. I should be much less tired at customs in PHL.
6A and 7A are both solo seats, I believe (i.e. not connected to another seat), so will not suffer the motion issue. And 7A is forward facing, which is nice if you have any sort of motion sickness issues (my wife does - occasionally - and the rear-facing seats triggered it for her).

I also like the mini-cabin (rows 6 and 7 are separate from the rest of business on the 788). I find it quieter, in general than the main business cabin.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Mine is 7A.

Just talked to DD. She is feeling stress. They got their list for out processing. Not sure she has time to leave on a 6 day trip. I have until the 15th to cancel the hotel. I thought I had longer on the AA hold but it cancels tonight at midnight.

Edited to say I booked the AA ticket. It gives me 24 more hours with no cancellation fee.

Last edited by gardengirl; May 9, 2018 at 8:19 pm Reason: to add a postscript
Old May 9, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Mine is 7A.

Just talked to DD. She is feeling stress. They got their list for out processing. Not sure she has time to leave on a 6 day trip. I have until the 15th to cancel the hotel. I thought I had longer on the AA hold but it cancels tonight at midnight.

Edited to say I booked the AA ticket. It gives me 24 more hours with no cancellation fee.
Yes, but purchasing just before midnight would give you until just before midnight the next day to cancel
Old May 10, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Can you return from MAN or LHR if you are visiting Wales?
Old May 10, 2018, 8:25 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, please let us know how much you enjoy returning to the USA via PHL.

I have hated the PHL entry and connection most times that I have done it.

I find the ORD entry to be a snap! (But ORD is my final destination)
Old May 10, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by roberto99

ORD is also my final destination, and every time I'm there I feel for anyone who has to transfer to a domestic connection. I'm armed with Global Entry and wouldn't want to do it.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by roberto99

Yes, but as noted by someone else, connecting I > D at ORD is a pain. Rather do it at LAX or JFK
dantheflyingman likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, but purchasing just before midnight would give you until just before midnight the next day to cancel
It's a go!

DD emailed to say she was sorry but it just wouldn't work. I cancelled my reservation. Then we talked by phone and she repeated that she was sorry and disappointed. No problem, we'll have lots of trips once they're back in the States. Then I get another call and she asks if I can get my reservation back. I tell her if I can't it wasn't meant to be. I call AA and Penny from NC is my new best friend. I had to purchase DTW-ORD segment but now I don't have such a long layover. Same 788 to VCE with same 7A seat. The return is better. VCE-PHL-DTW. No CLT.

Hotels and rental car all taken care of.

I'll try to remember details of reentry in PHL. I have Global Entry.

Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate the help.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Can you return from MAN or LHR if you are visiting Wales?
They weren't available so I didn't have to choose when it came to fuel charges. My fees were under $60 although I did have to buy the segment from DTW-ORD for $244.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:17 pm

What’s a DD?
Old May 10, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
What’s a DD?
internet slang for Daughter. Stands for Dear Daughter.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:39 am
Suspended

London Heathrow is app. 3 hours away from Wales by coach. There is direct coach service from Heathrow to Cardiff and other Welsh cities. Cost is about $42-48. Alternatively, you can take Heathrow Express to Paddington and change to the fast train to Bristol/Cardiff.

Alternatively, fly to Dublin, Ryanair runs Dublin-Cardiff/Bristol quick flight for $25-40.

Lots of options. You may find easyjet being more expensive than you thought from Venice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.