Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The full new (revised) policy is shown in the first post as attachments.
Print Wikipost

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
PLT spouse is on a separate PNR. I called EXP line to have spouse inherit my status for upgrade using 500 mile upgrades. AAgent told me she had to remove my spouse's FF # from my spouse's PNR in order for my spouse to inherit my EXP status and that after the flight we would need to request mileage credit. Does this sound right?
nope I'd call again. I also wouldn't use the "inherit status" language when calling. I just ask if they can set it up so that the other pax is listed for an upgrade as my companion.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:54 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Where do Business Extraa upgrades fit in on the upgrade instrument priority list?

Are BXP1s BXP3s considered "systemwide" upgrades?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Where do Business Extraa upgrades fit in on the upgrade instrument priority list?

Are BXP1s BXP3s considered "systemwide" upgrades?

Below SWU / Miles + Copay upgrades, and above Comp / Sticker upgrades
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:46 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by asf-07
Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertablake
I've done this 4 time now (reconnect at the airport) since the new policy went into effect. Each time, the agent was clueless of how to do it and had to get help to make it happen.
So having a hell of a time with this as well.
Spoke to check-in agent and gate agent. Both equally clueless, and not particularly inclined to help. Spoke to a reservations agent (may have been OSO desk, as I called the number on a card the agent handed to me), who put me on hold for a while, and came back to tell me that I had to tell an airport (or AAdmirals' Club) agent to "re-link" upgrade request. Gate agent again looked at me like I had 2 heads. I made her ask a supervisor, and she came back and said "we used to do that but we don't do that anymore, the policy changed a few weeks or months ago".

By that point, first leg had boarded full in F and we were both far enough down the list it wouldn't have mattered anyway. But we have a connecting flight (too early to see upgrade list) and may not have enough time to sort this out at the layover.

I DM'd AA on twitter, who apologized for the inept agents at my origin and said I could speak to an agent at my connection city.

Really frustrated with AA now...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Had a situation last week LIH to LAX, saw 2 seats up front on EF and I was listed on the upgrade list at 1 and wife as a gold was down at 7. At the gate asked the agent to link her as my companion so we could upgrade together, agent said that wasn't possible, so I declined the upgrade. It was fine, had an exit row seat, and great service in the back. But next day I sent a note through customer relations just trying to clarify the policy and they gave both me and my wife 10,000 miles, so not to terrible I guess.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by asf-07
I've never used a BXP1 - was thinking of upgrading some family members on a future flight. I see there is "C" space on a domestic non-stop. Is this something that clears in advance when space is available or is it a wait until closer to departure? This is a for a flight in a couple of months.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
nope I'd call again. I also wouldn't use the "inherit status" language when calling. I just ask if they can set it up so that the other pax is listed for an upgrade as my companion.
Thanks for your input. Called in and the AAgent added the FF # back in and took a look to verify it is setup properly.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've never used a BXP1 - was thinking of upgrading some family members on a future flight. I see there is "C" space on a domestic non-stop. Is this something that clears in advance when space is available or is it a wait until closer to departure? This is a for a flight in a couple of months.
If C is available you should be able to clear a BXP1 on the spot. You have to work through Meeting Services. There's a Business Extra thread on here somewhere... check it out for more info.
OskiBear likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So having a hell of a time with this as well.
Spoke to check-in agent and gate agent. Both equally clueless, and not particularly inclined to help. Spoke to a reservations agent (may have been OSO desk, as I called the number on a card the agent handed to me), who put me on hold for a while, and came back to tell me that I had to tell an airport (or AAdmirals' Club) agent to "re-link" upgrade request. Gate agent again looked at me like I had 2 heads. I made her ask a supervisor, and she came back and said "we used to do that but we don't do that anymore, the policy changed a few weeks or months ago".

By that point, first leg had boarded full in F and we were both far enough down the list it wouldn't have mattered anyway. But we have a connecting flight (too early to see upgrade list) and may not have enough time to sort this out at the layover.

I DM'd AA on twitter, who apologized for the inept agents at my origin and said I could speak to an agent at my connection city.

Really frustrated with AA now...
UPDATE
So spoke to an agent at the customer service center who had no idea of the new policy either. I insisted he try to "relink" the upgrade requests, but all he could figure out how to do was to remove us both from the list and then re-add us. (And in the process he screwed up our EXST seat assignment which led to tears and screaming on board (kidding) as we tried to sort that out...)

That put us exactly back in the same place, with my Platinum companion listed as UPG3 and myself as Gold as UPG4.

Then I went to the gate agent who was basically disinclined to help, as we were #20 + on the upgrade list and "first has checked in full"*

There was another agent standing at the gate who overheard the exchange not (sure exactly what she was doing), who said she thought she knew what the issue was. The agent should have removed us both from the upgrade standby list, first added the Platinum back, and then added the Gold as the companion to the platinum. That should have allowed the Plat to sponsor the Gold with Plat priority, but would result in the stickers being pulled from the platinum's account (which was fine for us).

Maybe this will help someone in the future.

p.s., AA couldn't get 2 checked bags in DFW from C15 to C33 in the 1h15m connection time, and sent them on a later DFW-LGA flight instead (and has to pay for home delivery now). I think I'm done with this airline.

*Anyone else hugely offended at how GA's try to brush you off with this language? So patronizing, like I've never heard of a no-show or mis-connect.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
So what happens when Sponsor and Sponsoree are numbers 1 and 2 on the upgrade list but there's only 1 seat available for upgrade? Does #3 get cleared because #1 & 2 are linked?
Old May 6, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GNVGator
So what happens when Sponsor and Sponsoree are numbers 1 and 2 on the upgrade list but there's only 1 seat available for upgrade? Does #3 get cleared because #1 & 2 are linked?
If not already coded as being okay with a split, a good GA will ask 1 and 2 whether they're okay being split. If the GA doesn't ask or 1 and 2 decline to split, 3 will get upgraded.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by potus18
If not already coded as being okay with a split, a good GA will ask 1 and 2 whether they're okay being split. If the GA doesn't ask or 1 and 2 decline to split, 3 will get upgraded.
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking more of the scenario of using SWUs that clear in advance. So if it's C1 at T-100, will #3 jump 1 and 2 because there aren't 2 upgrade seats available?

What I'm trying to understand is if the effect of this rule is to treat "linked" PNRs the same as two travelers on the same PNR - or if the Sponsoree just inherits the Sponsor's status/place on the upgrade waitlist without the burden of needing 2 seats to become available at the same time.

It seems that the latter would be more advantageous particularly on tough upgrade routes (e.g. DFW/HKG, LAX/SYD).
Old May 6, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So I want to buy a ticket for my friend and I to MEX. I buy our tickets together on one PNR. I usually score a comp upgrade on this route every time. In order for her to get upgraded I need miles or 500 milers to do it? Is that what I'm reading? How does an EXP get 500 milers? I haven't got them since I was a platinum level.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
So I want to buy a ticket for my friend and I to MEX. I buy our tickets together on one PNR. I usually score a comp upgrade on this route every time. In order for her to get upgraded I need miles or 500 milers to do it? Is that what I'm reading? How does an EXP get 500 milers? I haven't got them since I was a platinum level.
https://www.aa.com/AAdvantage/purchaseUpgradesAccess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.