Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The full new (revised) policy is shown in the first post as attachments.
Print Wikipost

Old May 6, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
So I want to buy a ticket for my friend and I to MEX. I buy our tickets together on one PNR. I usually score a comp upgrade on this route every time. In order for her to get upgraded I need miles or 500 milers to do it? Is that what I'm reading? How does an EXP get 500 milers? I haven't got them since I was a platinum level.
You purchase them with money. The exact same way you would have purchased them as a Platinum if you didn't have enough for a given upgrade.

Regards
Old May 6, 19, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
You purchase them with money. The exact same way you would have purchased them as a Platinum if you didn't have enough for a given upgrade.

Regards
Yes, thanks, see that now from Jon's post.
Old May 6, 19, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GNVGator View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking more of the scenario of using SWUs that clear in advance. So if it's C1 at T-100, will #3 jump 1 and 2 because there aren't 2 upgrade seats available?

What I'm trying to understand is if the effect of this rule is to treat "linked" PNRs the same as two travelers on the same PNR - or if the Sponsoree just inherits the Sponsor's status/place on the upgrade waitlist without the burden of needing 2 seats to become available at the same time.

It seems that the latter would be more advantageous particularly on tough upgrade routes (e.g. DFW/HKG, LAX/SYD).
If it's C1 at T-100 and #1 + #2 didn't explicitly request to be marked as ok with being split, #3 will get upgraded automatically.

I've found the latter to be much more advantageous on said tough upgrade routes. I almost always request to be split after linking PNRs so that we have the same priority on the upgrade list, but aren't disqualified with a C1 inventory release (or C2,3,4,... when not at the top of the list).
GNVGator likes this.
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
For the purposes of linking a non-status companion passenger to an EXP (myself), would applying a BXP1 to both of our reservations qualify as using the same kind of upgrade instrument?

The agent I spoke with said it wouldnít ó only SWUs would ó but did not seem very familiar with BXPs.

Ideally, I would only apply a BXP1 to my companionís reservation, and hope for a complimentary upgrade on my own reservation, but Iím happy to apply 2 BXP1s if it means that we have equal priority on the upgrade list.
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:30 am

Newly Platinum on American- so apologies ahead of time if this is a rookie question.....this whole upgrade process is beyond confusing to me.

I am travelling with my non-status wife and son tomorrow, originally all 3 of us were sitting in the exit row. This morning I requested an upgrade for two of us on one of our flights which instantly cleared. In order to process the upgrade they split my wife off into a new PNR (which I was prepared for thanks to this board). Problem now is that I can no longer see her reservation. It is not in her AADvantage account (the original PNR is) nor can I find it with the new PNR they gave me. But my question is when speaking to an agent she told me that in order to keep the exit row seat, my wife will have to pay for it because we are no longer travelling together. Is this correct? If not, how can I best go about keeping her in the exit row without the fee...not only for the one flight we are upgraded, but also on the other 3 legs of the trip? My original thought was to check her in to see what happens- but can't because I do not have access to her reservation. I would hate to have her stuck in a middle seat on a cross country flight!

Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by sely View Post
Newly Platinum on American- so apologies ahead of time if this is a rookie question.....this whole upgrade process is beyond confusing to me.

I am travelling with my non-status wife and son tomorrow, originally all 3 of us were sitting in the exit row. This morning I requested an upgrade for two of us on one of our flights which instantly cleared. In order to process the upgrade they split my wife off into a new PNR (which I was prepared for thanks to this board). Problem now is that I can no longer see her reservation. It is not in her AADvantage account (the original PNR is) nor can I find it with the new PNR they gave me. But my question is when speaking to an agent she told me that in order to keep the exit row seat, my wife will have to pay for it because we are no longer travelling together. Is this correct? If not, how can I best go about keeping her in the exit row without the fee...not only for the one flight we are upgraded, but also on the other 3 legs of the trip? My original thought was to check her in to see what happens- but can't because I do not have access to her reservation. I would hate to have her stuck in a middle seat on a cross country flight!

Thanks.
As long as there isnít an equipment swap itís very likely that sheíll keep her seat and it wouldnít be any additional charge.
AAEmpireState likes this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:00 am

You can confirm this by tracking down her PNR which I would do right away
Old Jun 30, 19, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately you do technically lose certain companion benefits when splitting a reservation, especially if the elite changes cabin class; sometimes you may need to decide which is more important.
chitink likes this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:40 am

Thanks for the replies.

In case it helps somebody else here is what happened.

The split reservation did appear in my wife's Aadvantage account after a couple of hours and I was able to check her in without issues. She kept the same exit row seat assignment. What I would have been unable to do is to change her seat to another premium seat without paying a fee. Luckily, I planned ahead for this and made my seat assignment the middle seat- that way we'd have either a window or aisle should the upgrade go through.

She also kept boarding group 4. Not sure if it is related, but she did not get pre-check this time (she tends to more often than not if we are travelling on the same PNR).

Thanks again.
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Unfortunately you do technically lose certain companion benefits when splitting a reservation, especially if the elite changes cabin class; sometimes you may need to decide which is more important.
Exactly - the significant other or the upgrade.
ijgordon and MorganB like this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Talking

Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post

Exactly - the significant other or the upgrade.

This is FlyerTalk. It's always the upgrade
ijgordon and diver858 like this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 12:06 pm

Couldn’t find this answered in the thread...

I’m EXP and my companion has no status. If I book a paid ticket and my companion is on a milesaver award, would she still inherit my upgrade priority as the upgrade type is the same?
Old Jun 30, 19, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
This is FlyerTalk. It's always the upgrade
Lucky for me, my wife views 5 hours of quiet time without being harassed by me or our son as an upgrade!!!!

(Oh wait, maybe I should be concerned)
dciolli and enpremiere like this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP
You didn't swap seats with your wife to allow her the upgrade? Also, how was she in an exit row with a minor?? {Assumption on my part...perhaps son is over 16? }
Old Jul 1, 19, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flytalker18 View Post
Couldnít find this answered in the thread...

Iím EXP and my companion has no status. If I book a paid ticket and my companion is on a milesaver award, would she still inherit my upgrade priority as the upgrade type is the same?
Well, she should get EXP priority if the reservation is linked to yours for upgrade purposes, but upgrades on award tickets are prioritized after upgrades on paid tickets, so she would likely be further down the list than you.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp
See "Upgrades on Award Tickets"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: