Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The full new (revised) policy is shown in the first post as attachments.
Print Wikipost

Old May 9, 18, 4:54 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I wonder if it's possible to contact AAdvantage Customer Service and get them to adjust PAST upgrades to make them pulled from my spouses's account? AFAIK whenever we travel together, the upgrades always come out of my account. But she has many dozens of upgrades from back when she was also EXP. Can AAdvantage adjust this after the fact? It would surely be nice if they could.
Old May 9, 18, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They CAN, but I'm not sure they WILL. Your best bet would be right after the flight if the upgrades ended up being pulled from the "wrong" account vis-a-vis what you indicated to the gate agent. Not for upgrades that were weeks or months ago.
Of course this is notwithstanding any change that now may require the upgrades to come from the sponsor's account. (In the past, my sense--but again, it was a black box--was that the "default" was for the upgrade to come from the sponsor's account, even if the sponsee was elite, but you could request to change this at the airport. But then that would somtetimes split the 2 pax on the upgrade waitlist, and put them each in their own status priorities, so it was kind of pointless. It didn't always seem to happen this way, which is what made the whole thing frustrating.
Old May 9, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: SWA- A pref
Family travel & upgrade

Iím EXP. My family of 5 is traveling with me after a cruise this summer. If I detach my kids PNR from DH and I, then I request upgrade for our PNR. If we clear before we get to airport, can I then re-attach the kids PNR so we get the baggage benefit?
Old May 9, 18, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by robertablake View Post
Prior to this change, I've had the 500-mile upgrades come from my wife's account (companion /Platinum) and another time come from my account (sponsor/EXP). To this day, I don't understand what cause the 500-mile upgrades to get pulled two different ways for the same situation. Maybe it was when the upgrades occurred, prior or at the airport - I don't recollect.

The last time (~2 month ago), I inquired why were they taken from my wife's account one time, and from my account another time. The EXP agent didn't know, but told me you have to talk to the agent at the airport to determine which account they come from. I asked again after this change and got the same answer.

My wife & I are flying together again this Tuesday (and return the following Friday) and we are listed for the upgrade. We'll see if I can make the designation at the airport on Tuesday (and the following Friday). I'm an EXP with about 61k rolling EQD, so we should be near the top of the list behind any CKs.
Try this: when on-line check-in becomes available, check your wife in first. Then check yourself in separately some time later. (assuming you are both pre-upgraded). I did this once and it seemed like the upgrades came out of my wife's account; on the return I just checked us both in at the same time and they came out of my account. I am not sure that this is reproducible.

If you check in at a counter, or get it at the gate, I have been able to request that my wife's upgrades get used, but the results are inconsistent, though I'm pretty sure that it happened at least once.
Old May 11, 18, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jlgab345 View Post
I’m EXP. My family of 5 is traveling with me after a cruise this summer. If I detach my kids PNR from DH and I, then I request upgrade for our PNR. If we clear before we get to airport, can I then re-attach the kids PNR so we get the baggage benefit?
No. When you separate the PNR, your kids will be given a new PNR. The baggage benefit is only for the additional passengers on your PNR and you cannot “reattach” your kids’ PNR where they would have the same PNR as you.
Old May 11, 18, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sam2k2002 View Post

With regards to 500-mile upgrades, the update page explicitly states they must come from the sponsorís account. Where are you getting this info from?
My experience a few times, when the companion was upgrade with me more then 24 hours in advance, the points came from their account. Within 24 hours, my EXP account. Of course this doesn't happen these days, I don't get F unless I buy it as an EXP out of DCA.
Old May 13, 18, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I am new to upgrading with companion on AA, its easy with United, it just clears...

As EXP, I assume I need to buy e500s - or should I buy the e500s from the wife's account, if we both want an upgrage?
Old May 14, 18, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
I am new to upgrading with companion on AA, its easy with United, it just clears...

As EXP, I assume I need to buy e500s - or should I buy the e500s from the wife's account, if we both want an upgrage?
If your wife has no status, definitely buy them in your own account. Even if she does have status (but not enough upgrades), I'd probably recommend buying them in your own account, but that's less clear.
Old May 14, 18, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Just received an AA communication:

Upgrade together
Introducing a new benefit for your trip

We see you requested to use a systemwide or mileage award upgrade for your upcoming trip.

You now have the ability to designate 1 companion to receive the same priority as you on the upgrade waitlist. To be eligible, your companion must be traveling with you on the same flight and be using the same type of upgrade — either a systemwide or mileage award upgrade.

To designate a companion traveling with you on an upcoming trip, call 800-843-6200.
econometrics likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 8:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
I would love to know that also as my wife has several dozen 500-mile upgrades in her account. However, she always travels with me and the upgrades always come out of my account because I'm the one with the higher elite level. It would be nice to have the upgrades come from her account or have a way to transfer her upgrades to my account.
Well, I didn't do anything differently this trip but the 500-mile upgrades on the return segment came from my wife's account (Platinum) instead of my account (Platinum Pro).

As a data point, the complimentary 500-mile upgrades for the DFW-BTR flight cleared at 72 hours and the SNA-DFW complimentary (for me) and 3 required (for my wife) 500-mile upgrades cleared at 56 hours.
Old May 16, 18, 5:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Right now, I have a PNR with me (EXP) and two non-status pax in paid W transatlantic waitlisted for SWUs. Flight is in late June. I requested them months ago. If I donít call, what is our priority before airport control? Lowest common denominator (no status)? EXP? Whatís my best plan of attack? Thanks.
Old May 16, 18, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
If there's a first class seat available at the airport within 2-4 hours of departure, but no "upgrades" seats, can the agent at the ticket counter assign that seat to me using my 500 mile upgrade certs without having to go through the airport standby process?
Old May 16, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by nologic View Post
If there's a first class seat available at the airport within 2-4 hours of departure, but no "upgrades" seats, can the agent at the ticket counter assign that seat to me using my 500 mile upgrade certs without having to go through the airport standby process?
No. It will go to gate control. They will handle it per the priority of the upgrade list.
Old May 16, 18, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Right now, I have a PNR with me (EXP) and two non-status pax in paid W transatlantic waitlisted for SWUs. Flight is in late June. I requested them months ago. If I donít call, what is our priority before airport control? Lowest common denominator (no status)? EXP? Whatís my best plan of attack? Thanks.
Your best plan is to set an alert with Expert Flyer for C space opening. If you get an alert, call AA and clear all of your SWU's.

If no C space opens before it goes to airport control, then you should designate a companion on your itinerary to share your status and at least get 2/3 upgraded - hopefully.
Old May 16, 18, 8:40 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Doesn't make sense to force the 500 upgrades to be deducted by sponsor....
My guess is that AA gets to deplete the number of (temporarily stagnant) upper status member (Plat Pro and EXP) upgrades and then be forced to purchase 500 mile upgrades.
Just another underhand way to get a few extra $'s from their most frequent flyers.
Sad.... Please rethink this policy or at least allow us to earn 500 upgrades for use later... I know, I know... this will cost AA a bit of extra revenue......

Search this Thread
Search Engine: