Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The full new (revised) policy is shown in the first post as attachments.
Print Wikipost

Old May 6, 18, 3:46 pm
  #31  
hts
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: ATX
Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Posts: 275
Why don't EXP's earn 500-mile upgrade certs again? I understand we don't need them for ourselves, but we do for companion upgrades, don't we? Also, I for one don't expect to earn EXP every year, and if i drop down below PP, I'm certainly going to need them then, so it sure would be nice to have a bank full of them, even though I'm probably unlikely to get upgraded as less than PP.
hts is offline  
Old May 6, 18, 4:08 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,271
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Why don't EXP's earn 500-mile upgrade certs again? I understand we don't need them for ourselves, but we do for companion upgrades, don't we?
Not if you don't fly with a companion. If you choose to do so, you have to use 500-mile upgrades -- which seems fair and keeps more upgrades available for the rest of us.
JDiver likes this.
rjw242 is offline  
Old May 6, 18, 5:52 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,280
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Sorry for being dense, but I am still unclear as to what the change is. Isn't this the current policy anyways?

Can someone please explain what changed or a before vs after? Thanks in advance.
IME, the companion upgrade system historically was a black box. Sometimes your companion would stay with you on the airport list, sometimes you’d be separated. Sometimes upgrades would come out of your account sometimes out of the companions accounts (if both were elites, but different levels). There never seemed to be any consistency, not that I could ever figure out.

Maybe this is just an attempt to formalize the policies and procedures.
But not sure I saw in the page link posted whether a higher level status member can sponsor a lower level status member and how exactly that works.
ijgordon is offline  
Old May 6, 18, 6:25 pm
  #34  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,280
Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
At all times, I (and I'm sure, many others) appreciate those who discover the info and distribute it for the benefit of others. I cannot imagine that it's even possible to do a better job at this than JonNYC has done over the decades, and continues to do . Much appreciated.

Still, why doesn't AA post a "What's New" page on their website? Apparently AA wants (or at least, does not mind if) their customers to know the latest developments. Surely there are better ways to distribute info about product updates? Not a complaint . Just a question. Why does a world-class corporation distribute their important product news through Twitter leaks?
Why does the Wall Street Journal often seem to get advance leaks of, say, big mergers & acquisitions?

Look, you can ignore all the rumors and speculation and wait for a formal announcement — which will ALWAYS happen whenever something is official, you can believe all the rumors and speculation that you read here, or you can believe some of the rumors posted here (or on Twit or whatever) depending on the poster. Your choice.

ijgordon is offline  
Old May 6, 18, 9:04 pm
  #35  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,807
Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
This is only applicable to ONE companion?
Just as the previous policy did.
econometrics likes this.
JDiver is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 9:37 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

IME, the companion upgrade system historically was a black box. Sometimes your companion would stay with you on the airport list, sometimes you’d be separated. Sometimes upgrades would come out of your account sometimes out of the companions accounts (if both were elites, but different levels). There never seemed to be any consistency, not that I could ever figure out.

Maybe this is just an attempt to formalize the policies and procedures.
But not sure I saw in the page link posted whether a higher level status member can sponsor a lower level status member and how exactly that works.
thank you. I previously attributed the randomness to their archaic IT behemoth. Good to see it finally codified formally. Hopefully that takes away the ... factor that seems to plague us on occasion.
Antarius is online now  
Old May 7, 18, 10:09 am
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,372
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
thank you. I previously attributed the randomness to their archaic IT behemoth. Good to see it finally codified formally. Hopefully that takes away the ... factor that seems to plague us on occasion.
The new written upgrade policy clearly indicates the passenger only has to be on the same flight, not the same PNR. I think they should put this into written documentation for seating. so we don't have a disagreement about policy when trying to get companions MCE or preferred seating. I have never been rejected for this, but it still would be good to have a public facing document like the latest one for upgrades
mvoight is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 6:54 pm
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,280
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
thank you. I previously attributed the randomness to their archaic IT behemoth. Good to see it finally codified formally. Hopefully that takes away the ... factor that seems to plague us on occasion.
Oh I imagine that the terrible IT was part of the reason! Maybe having gotten through the US-AA integration pretty unscathed, they became emboldened to start fixing some of the underlying legacy problems...
ijgordon is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 7:52 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,110
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Not if you don't fly with a companion. If you choose to do so, you have to use 500-mile upgrades -- which seems fair and keeps more upgrades available for the rest of us.
But the cost of the 500--mile upgrades is about the same as the cost difference to F, so if you are going to buy them you might as well buy your companion an F ticket and hope for the best for yourself. One of the reasons F is full, is that cheap coach + upgrade certs is the cost of an F ticket. So best for a Plat or Gold to just buy F.

What I am confused about is the announcement says "the 500-mile upgrades can come from any account"? Does that mean that if an EXP and Gold are traveling together the 500-mile upgrades can come from the Gold member both in advance or after airport control?
cova is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 8:08 pm
  #40  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BTR
Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Posts: 6,157
Originally Posted by cova View Post

What I am confused about is the announcement says "the 500-mile upgrades can come from any account"? Does that mean that if an EXP and Gold are traveling together the 500-mile upgrades can come from the Gold member both in advance or after airport control?
I would love to know that also as my wife has several dozen 500-mile upgrades in her account. However, she always travels with me and the upgrades always come out of my account because I'm the one with the higher elite level. It would be nice to have the upgrades come from her account or have a way to transfer her upgrades to my account.
controller1 is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 8:58 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CLT
Programs: AA CK, Million Miler (1.999m)
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
I would love to know that also as my wife has several dozen 500-mile upgrades in her account. However, she always travels with me and the upgrades always come out of my account because I'm the one with the higher elite level. It would be nice to have the upgrades come from her account or have a way to transfer her upgrades to my account.
I spoke with an EXP rep today who told me you have to have the airport attendant, once they gain control, change who's account the 500 mile stickers come from. I was not clear if it was the ticket counter or gate agent or both. The change can also be done by the agents in the Admiral Club.
robertablake is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 10:38 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by cova View Post
What I am confused about is the announcement says "the 500-mile upgrades can come from any account"?
Where did you see that? On the AA page the only mention of "the upgrade can be deducted from any account" is under "Systemwide and mileage award upgrades", not "500-mile upgrades".
FlyingEgghead is offline  
Old May 8, 18, 7:48 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,110
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
Where did you see that? On the AA page the only mention of "the upgrade can be deducted from any account" is under "Systemwide and mileage award upgrades", not "500-mile upgrades".
That is what I meant. Says the same thing - deducted from any account.

Not sure how that happens. Up to now, if upgrade occurs more than 24 hours before - comes from Gold account (if Gold Companion).
Within 24 hours - it comes from the EXP account.

Within 24 hours - looks like you need to have airport agent change it to the gold account.
cova is offline  
Old May 8, 18, 10:25 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by cova View Post
That is what I meant. Says the same thing - deducted from any account.

Not sure how that happens. Up to now, if upgrade occurs more than 24 hours before - comes from Gold account (if Gold Companion).
Within 24 hours - it comes from the EXP account.

Within 24 hours - looks like you need to have airport agent change it to the gold account.
With regards to 500-mile upgrades, the update page explicitly states they must come from the sponsor’s account. Where are you getting this info from?
sam2k2002 is offline  
Old May 9, 18, 4:25 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CLT
Programs: AA CK, Million Miler (1.999m)
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by sam2k2002 View Post


With regards to 500-mile upgrades, the update page explicitly states they must come from the sponsor’s account. Where are you getting this info from?
Prior to this change, I've had the 500-mile upgrades come from my wife's account (companion /Platinum) and another time come from my account (sponsor/EXP). To this day, I don't understand what cause the 500-mile upgrades to get pulled two different ways for the same situation. Maybe it was when the upgrades occurred, prior or at the airport - I don't recollect.

The last time (~2 month ago), I inquired why were they taken from my wife's account one time, and from my account another time. The EXP agent didn't know, but told me you have to talk to the agent at the airport to determine which account they come from. I asked again after this change and got the same answer.

My wife & I are flying together again this Tuesday (and return the following Friday) and we are listed for the upgrade. We'll see if I can make the designation at the airport on Tuesday (and the following Friday). I'm an EXP with about 61k rolling EQD, so we should be near the top of the list behind any CKs.
robertablake is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: