Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The full new (revised) policy is shown in the first post as attachments.
Print Wikipost

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 11:24 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I have existing reservations with (lifetime Gold) companion on the same rez with me. Upgrades are already requested. Does anyone know if we have to re-request the upgrade in order to get in on the new dealie?
Old May 5, 2018, 1:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I have existing reservations with (lifetime Gold) companion on the same rez with me. Upgrades are already requested. Does anyone know if we have to re-request the upgrade in order to get in on the new dealie?
IMO, too early to know for sure. I’d look the policy over (link above and “first” post, plus post contains policy) and then call to assure it’s all good.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
So ... I'll confess I'm confused as someone who has traveled many times with companions. We've always been upgraded together (well upgrades don't always clear) and the 500 m/stickers have been pulled from my account. Seems like every time we've been at the airport on the upgrade list, we're together on the list. I know recently I was at the airport and was number 5 ... and was told there were two CK's and their wives/girlfriends on the list ahead of me.

So what is the change?
Old May 5, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I am pretty sure you will have to if you want to have the same priority at the airport. The companion benefit is being implemented with new SSR codes that are slightly different from what would have been added to your existing reservation prior to today.

Old May 5, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
I'm guessing there is still no way to upgrade yourself splitting the PNR if their is two companions on it. (can't split since companions have no status and need me for the free bag)

I know I can do it on the return flight once everyone has checked in bags, I can ask at the airport to add me to the upgrade list and if I get a upgrade it auto splits me however too much risk to try it on the outgoing flight.

Last edited by Daniel Solis; May 5, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 7:11 am

As an Executive Platinum member, does this change the need to use 500 mile upgrades for my companion? This always seemed like an odd requirement as I no longer earn the 500 mile upgrades and instead need to pay to upgrade a companion.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skoiboy
As an Executive Platinum member, does this change the need to use 500 mile upgrades for my companion? This always seemed like an odd requirement as I no longer earn the 500 mile upgrades and instead need to pay to upgrade a companion.
Nothing in this announcement indicates that requirement has changed.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And why are loyal AAdvantange members since the early 1980s supposed to get their program updates from a random person on Twitter instead of directly from AA?
Why damn either AA or JonNYC because AA, on the one hand briefs its employees on what they need to know before posting the change publicly and JonNYC, on the other hand, has access to the guts of the change through what appears to be an internal-only communication?

It would make absolutely no sense to implement the change and the training at the same moment. Then people would post here, quite rightly complaining that they called in and the employee knew nothing.

While this change may matter in the rareified atmosphere of FT, there are minor tweaks to AA's operations all the time. Most have no immediate customer-facing impact, yet not notifying employees means they do not get implemented.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Nothing in this announcement indicates that requirement has changed.
Do most EXP buy 500 mile upgrades for their companions, or is there a better way?
Old May 6, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Do most EXP buy 500 mile upgrades for their companions, or is there a better way?
I'm not sure what "most" do (some EXPs likely have 500-mile upgrades left over from when they held lower status), but if you don't have any upgrades in your account, the only options are to buy them, or use SWUs or miles+copay for companions.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Rather than discuss other members, please remain focused on the policy and thread topic.

Thank you,

Old May 6, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for being dense, but I am still unclear as to what the change is. Isn't this the current policy anyways?

Can someone please explain what changed or a before vs after? Thanks in advance.
C17PSGR and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This probably will not apply to most people, but the Twitter team confirmed back to me, after checking with AAdvantage, that companion status will not work if one person is going from Y-J and the other going from J-F; same flight, same upgrade instrument. I kind of expected the answer that they gave, but hope springs eternal
Old May 6, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've been an EXP for several years. I buy 500 mile upgrades throughout the year as needed. Can't speak for others, of course..

Originally Posted by Antarius
Sorry for being dense, but I am still unclear as to what the change is. Isn't this the current policy anyways?

Can someone please explain what changed or a before vs after? Thanks in advance.
+1. For as long as I can remember, if I buy tickets together the reservations are connected and we upgrade before the trip together. If I buy separately, I call the EXP line and ask them to connect the PNR. If we haven't cleared before the airport, our names are usually next to each other on the list. I remember one time they weren't and I stopped at the AC desk and they fixed it. And while I'm usually at the top of the airport upgrade list the spend in the low 20's, I've seen at least a couple of situation when someone traveling with a child was ahead of me on the list -- presumably because they had connected PNR's
Old May 6, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
This is only applicable to ONE companion?
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.