Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mistake in passport expiry date at time of booking

Old May 5, 18, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze

Tried searching for this but couldn’t find an exact match for my question. Please forgive me if I’ve missed something obvious.

I purchased a ticket for my wife (MAN - PHL - CLE) through my corporate TA. Just tried to check her in via the AA app, but it wouldn’t allow her to check in and it informed her that she needed to go to the airport for check in. I’ve realised now that I gave the corporate TA the wrong expiry date for her passport, so this makes sense.

Feeling foolish and annoyed with myself.

Is this something they’ll correct quickly and painlessly at the airport tomorrow or should we phone AA in advance to notify them of the error? We are staying at the airport tonight so could seek out a ground agent if necessary.

Many thanks for any help.

PS - Her ESTA is registered correctly (checked just now) so it’s just the airline that I’m concerned about.
Old May 5, 18, 8:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh View Post
Tried searching for this but couldn’t find an exact match for my question. Please forgive me if I’ve missed something obvious.

I purchased a ticket for my wife (MAN - PHL - CLE) through my corporate TA. Just tried to check her in via the AA app, but it wouldn’t allow her to check in and it informed her that she needed to go to the airport for check in. I’ve realised now that I gave the corporate TA the wrong expiry date for her passport, so this makes sense.

Feeling foolish and annoyed with myself.

Is this something they’ll correct quickly and painlessly at the airport tomorrow or should we phone AA in advance to notify them of the error? We are staying at the airport tonight so could seek out a ground agent if necessary.

Many thanks for any help.

PS - Her ESTA is registered correctly (checked just now) so it’s just the airline that I’m concerned about.
Have you tried amending the information online at aa.com?

Have you called?

It can probably be rectified easily at the airport, but IMO every step I can complete ahead is a boon.
frank_poulankh likes this.
Old May 5, 18, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
It should be something that is an easy fix at the airport. All they should have to do is update her secure flight information via her passport option which should be pretty quick and easy.

However, to negate any risk I would recommend getting her to the airport a good hour earlier than you were planning just to be completely safe. I'd rather spend an hour longer than necessary sitting plane-side than watching the plane takeoff over my head.

Or like the above said, call AA res and see if they can edit it over the phone.
JDiver and frank_poulankh like this.
Old May 5, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
It is quite usual to be unable to check in online for an international flight as they want to check the passport and as long as her name and the passport number are correct it will probably not be a problem. You are unlikely to find anyone with access to the AA system at MAN once the last AA flight has left so online or calling would be the best way to fix it in advance.
Old May 5, 18, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to you all. We’ll give AA a call once we reach the airport hotel we’re staying in tonight.

Aiming to arrive at least 3 hours prior to departure tomorrow morning.

Lesson learned re: checking API carefully.
Old May 5, 18, 8:58 am
Original Poster

UPDATE - SUCCESS

Tried going back into the booking online and noticed that the passport expiry was now correct in the aa.com record.

The AA systems must have updated when given the amended date during the first, failed app check in.

Re-tried the app checkin and all worked fine the second time. She has mobile BPs for both sectors downloaded to her phone.
Thanks again for the advice. Wouldn’t have checked again and retried without it.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 5, 18, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always best to resolve issues prior to the airport. Three hours prior to departure is far too long in advance for something that takes 30 seconds to fix and far too short for something that takes hours or cannot be fixed at the airport.

Just because it "usually" is one thing does not mean that it is.
Old May 5, 18, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Always best to resolve issues prior to the airport. Three hours prior to departure is far too long in advance for something that takes 30 seconds to fix and far too short for something that takes hours or cannot be fixed at the airport.

Just because it "usually" is one thing does not mean that it is.
Although if you are staying overnight at the airport you can go in as soon as they open and then return to your hotel. Anyway, it is still better that it was dealt with beforehand.