Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

24 hour cancel window - AA saying they don't have to honor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 hour cancel window - AA saying they don't have to honor

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Originally Posted by controller1
When are free holds not offered? Every reservation I've made since the change has had the option to hold the reservation for free for 24 hours.
Free hold are not consistently offered, at least not for me.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Have you tried calling again? You certainly have nothing to lose....
I did try and call again. They are now stating that they will hold the value of the ticket minus the $200 change fee. As I'm cancelling within the 24 hour time-frame, I don't see why the change fee should be applicable. I am now waiting for a call back from a manager on Monday.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
If you book through a corporate travel agent and then call AA to upfare, resulting in a reissue, your travel agent sees the ticket that it issued as "exchanged" and no longer has control over it. Only AA can deal with it now, at least in my experience.
That is exactly what I'm facing as well. The TA is saying AA has taken control of the reservation and they cannot touch it. I understand having to turn to my TA for a refund of the original ticket. However, the upfare was a transaction between me and AA - the TA was not involved in that transaction. As the TA did not perform the upfare or process the associated charge, I don't see how they could be expected to process the refund for the same. To me, AA should process the refund for the upfare and it is fair for them to make me work with the TA for the refund of the original ticket.

At this point, however, all they do is point fingers at each other. I did try and call again earlier today and a manager is supposed to be calling me Monday. I don't have much hope, but it does make me question my loyalty to AA. AA was not harmed by this transaction and this request is certainly in the spirit of the 24 hour cancel period (the fact I gave them more money to upfare should not eliminate the flexibility provided by AA policy).
Old May 5, 2018, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...del
Old May 5, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did you speak to the travel agency that you made the booking with? only it should be able to process a refund on the ticket
Yes, they are saying AA has control over the ticket and they cannot touch it. They did a warm transfer to AA, informed them of the situation, but AA continues to point fingers at them.

My company used to use Orbitz for Business, then Egencia, and they now use CWT (with booking through Concur). I've never had this problem before. I don't know if it's because of CWT or AA not being flexible.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I've never had this problem before. I don't know if it's because of CWT or AA not being flexible.
Have you ever actually tried to do this exact thing? That is, refund a ticket that was issued by one agent and subsequently taken over by another agent, within 24 hours?

I can definitely see why CWT can’t do anything, but it’s not entirely clear to me why AA is giving you such a hard time.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, they are saying AA has control over the ticket and they cannot touch it. They did a warm transfer to AA, informed them of the situation, but AA continues to point fingers at them.

My company used to use Orbitz for Business, then Egencia, and they now use CWT (with booking through Concur). I've never had this problem before. I don't know if it's because of CWT or AA not being flexible.
Have you asked to speak to a supervisor, and explained what you have here? AA took over the ticket when they upgraded you, CWT can not cancel because AA has control over the ticket.

If AA can’t help you, you will have to file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation’s Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD), since the 24 hour cancelation is a USDOT requirement. (And when AA filed their more liberal policy with the USDOT, that became AA’s legal policy as well).

From Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

US Department of Transportation - File a Consumer Complaint

Airline Service Complaints and Comments

Complaints and comments about airline service other than safety or security issues may be registered with DOT's Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD). You can call, write or use our web form.

You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

You may send us a letter at:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590
You can send us a complaint, comment or inquiry electronically by using our web form. This form allows us to capture information more accurately and process it more efficiently. The web form allows you to attach a file.
Whether you call, write or use the web form, please be brief and concise in the description of your problem and be sure to include the following information:
  • Your name
  • Complete address
  • Daytime phone number (including area code)
  • e-mail address
  • Name of the airline or company about which you are complaining
  • Flight date
  • Flight number if known
  • Origin and destination cities of your trip.
If you send us a letter, you should also include a copy (not the original) of your airline ticket or itinerary sheet and any correspondence you have already exchanged with the company.

- See more at: https://www.transportation.gov/airco....Iar1Z6Ve.dpuf
Old May 5, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Free hold are not consistently offered, at least not for me.
Are you booking 7 days or more in advance and only on AA flights when you don't get the hold?
Old May 6, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
That is exactly what I'm facing as well. The TA is saying AA has taken control of the reservation and they cannot touch it. I understand having to turn to my TA for a refund of the original ticket. However, the upfare was a transaction between me and AA - the TA was not involved in that transaction. As the TA did not perform the upfare or process the associated charge, I don't see how they could be expected to process the refund for the same. To me, AA should process the refund for the upfare and it is fair for them to make me work with the TA for the refund of the original ticket.
My guess at AA's stance on this: An "upfare" is just a name for a fee-free ticket resisue to move up to a higher cabin. At the end of the day, a new ticket is issued by exchanging the old ticket and collecting an additional charge. The ticket your TA issued is now "exchanged" and outside the control of your TA. This original ticket was subject to the 24 hour refund policy, and you took advantage of that by applying the value of this original ticket to a new ticket with no exchange fee. In effect, AA gave you what it promised on this original ticket, and this original ticket is now closed.

Regarding the ticket issued via an exchange, I'm not exactly sure how the 24 hour refund policy applies with exchanges. One interpretation would be for AA to cancel the new ticket and refund just the add/collect, since, again, you already took advantage of the 24 hour cancellation on the original ticket. The "original form of payment" on this new ticket is a combination of the original ticket value and the add/collect, so a "refund" would be allowing you to use the original ticket value on a new ticket and refunding the add/collect to your credit card. I would ask for this and be ready to make a new reservation when the manager calls you on Monday.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; May 6, 2018 at 7:31 am
Old May 6, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
This original ticket was subject to the 24 hour refund policy, and you took advantage of that by applying the value of this original ticket to a new ticket with no exchange fee.
This might be what they say, but I wouldn't say OP's upfare "took advantage of that", because a fee-free upfare is available at any time, not just within 24 hours. Therefore it doesn't invoke or rely on the refund policy.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP may need to involve whoever manages the TA contract for his employer. Presumably the employer paid for the underlying ticket and will want its money back if its employee is not traveling and cancelled in a timely manner. Chances are that the employer has more heft than OP and will, if there is a corporate TA, have an AA sales contact to sort this out.

This brings up the fact that this is all self-inflicted. More and more employers permit employees to keep a second personal CC on file and have the TA issue any ticket the employee wants with the corporate CC being billed for whatever is allowed under travel rules and appropriate notes entered if the employer back bills to clients. Same thing, same cost and employees are not spending their work day playing junior TA.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The original ticket was exchanged. Meaning the original ticket number will show "exchanged", or used to issue the new "upfared" ticket. Once an exchange is done, from the agency standpoint, there is no going back as the airline controls the ticket. What you are asking for is for AA to void the 2nd ticket that was issued for your reservation. Then you want AA to somehow reinstate the original ticket number, and make the TA the "Owner" of that ticket again so the TA can void it. That is the reason AA and TA will tell you it can't be done. You are no longer dealing with the original ticket number.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Would the same situation occur if the OP had used an EVIP to clear into C or A inventory? IME, those are re-issues as well, but there is no additional collection. OP: did you try reaching out to AA via Twitter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.