Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and seatguru aircraft confusion: “321”, “32B” (and A321T)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 10, 19, 3:44 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA aa.com Confusion: 32B only means A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices

On aa.com there now are:

321 - all LAA and LUS A321-200s, whether with Sharklets or not, in any configuration except

32B - which is now solely used for the three class transcontinental Flagship A321T.

E.g. 32B on SeatGuru link

IATA designation “32B” only means the aircraft is an Airbus A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices / winglets. Unfortunately, AA confuses passengers by only using that for the A321T now.

“321” in the schedules now means any A321-200 whether legacy AA or US, with Sharklets or not. It used to mean a two class legacy US Airways A321-200 without Sharklets.

32B aircraft in the AA fleet:

Example: 321T (as used on the safety card) / A321T (as used here and some others)

A321T: (10F, 20J, 72Y including 36 MCE) three class 32B with Flagship first, used principally on JFK to/from LAX and SFO and occasional JFK-BOS, LAX-SFO flights. Now listed on aa.cim as 32B. link to thread. SeatGuru “A321 32B Transcon”

A321S: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) now listed on aa.com as 321, a two class 32B used in normal domestic and short international service link to thread. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) now listed on aa.com as 321, two class 32B, identical to A321S in seating, but ETOPS rated and used on west coast - Hawaii service. These and the Hawaii Service 757s will ultimately be replaced by A321 neo aircraft. link to thread. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

321 (16F, 171Y including 11MCE), now applies to both legacy AA and US A321-200 aircraft. Previously it was used to designate only the pre-merger legacy US Airways two class A321-200 without Sharklets (or IFE, at-seat power). Seatguru “A321 V3”[/U]”.

Use the available seat chart on aa.com as you’re looking at a flight to differentiate these A321-200 aircraft. (And of course AA will begin standardizing all A321-200 aircraft under project Oasis - the first 321 Oasis is scheduled to fly in June 2019.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all two class Airbus A321-200 and Boeing 737 aircraft will be retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 26, 15, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Hey,

I usually hang out on the BA board...I have a reservation in Domestic F (SFO-LAX-PHX-LAS-PHX-OAK), which has just had its third schedule change.

This time, AA169 has been moved to 0630 on 31/12/15. No problem. It's listed as a "32B" aircraft and when I click on the seating map, I see a 1-1 layout with five rows.

Is this a Transcon aircraft? On SFO-LAX? Would it be positioning?

Excited if this is true (but wary of course of yet more schedule changes putting me back on the bog standard 737 I paid for!).
Old Oct 26, 15, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post
Hey,

I usually hang out on the BA board...I have a reservation in Domestic F (SFO-LAX-PHX-LAS-PHX-OAK), which has just had its third schedule change.

This time, AA169 has been moved to 0630 on 31/12/15. No problem. It's listed as a "32B" aircraft and when I click on the seating map, I see a 1-1 layout with five rows.

Is this a Transcon aircraft? On SFO-LAX? Would it be positioning?

Excited if this is true (but wary of course of yet more schedule changes putting me back on the bog standard 737 I paid for!).
No, it'll be a regular A321, not the transcontinental version. Are you clicking for the seating map for your specific flight or are you viewing this on a different website or page? If you're looking at seatguru it's the 32B v2

Edit: Actually, I see what you're saying on aa.com but EF still shows it as a 738, might be a one off.
Old Oct 26, 15, 8:56 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 16 at 10:47 pm
Old Oct 26, 15, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Be aware that though AA uses "32B" somewhat indiscriminately; ICAO uses that term to define an A321 with "Sharklets" wingtip extensions (all AA 321s have Sharklets). The more common and distinctive terminology often used here is "321T" for the three class transcon, "321S" for the two class A321 and "321H" for the ETOPS-rated "S" configuration used in Hawaii service.

For SFO-LAX, it's very likely to be an 321S. The three class aircraft is used between JFK and LAX or SFO. And the misuse of nomenclature by AA is precisely what leads to this occasional confusion. But to add complexity, AA occasionally repositions a JFK-SFO by flying revenue service to LAX for LAX-JFK service, and has the occasional A321T doing a JFK-BOS-JFK turn.

(The seat chart is definitive - not the "32B" term AA uses. I imagine a 321T between LAX and SFO would be an aircraft repositioning, sold as two class - a nice bonus for an elite, albeit have short-lived given flight duration is slightly over an hour.)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 8, 18 at 10:02 pm Reason: Add parenthetical
Old Oct 26, 15, 9:25 am

To be clear, when one searches this actual specific flight (route, time, and date) on AA.com and does "view available seats", what is shown is a 3-class aircraft, with the results for "coach" displaying 12 rows of 3x3 Y seats as well as 5 rows of 2x2 J-style seats, and the results for "first" and "business" each displaying the same 5 rows of 1x1 seats.

This would lead a viewer to believe that this is a 3-class aircraft with the F hard product being sold as J and the J hard product being used in an analogous capacity to MCE (presuming that elites could select one of those 2x2 seats when buying Y).
Old Oct 26, 15, 9:31 am

Both AA169 and AA218 are coded as the 321B, but have the 321T configuration.

And if you are in economy, you can reserve J seats.

Edit- Didn't see arlflyer's post, but he is correct.
Old Oct 26, 15, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
SFO-LAX AA169, 32B with Transcon First? [321S- 321T confusion]

Thanks. It's definitely a 1-1 seat map as per the transcon but the 32B threw me. I assume there are spare aircraft over new year on the West Coast. Is there a reduced transcontinental timetable at that time of year?

Quite a bonus for a tiny F hop! We will see if it changes back...
Old Oct 27, 15, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Similarly, AA sometimes uses A321T 3-class planes for JFK-BOS-JFK legs on days of low transcon demand (often Saturdays). Enjoy!
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 27, 15, 7:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
This would lead a viewer to believe that this is a 3-class aircraft with the F hard product being sold as J and the J hard product being used in an analogous capacity to MCE (presuming that elites could select one of those 2x2 seats when buying Y).
Originally Posted by Piedmont767 View Post
Edit- Didn't see arlflyer's post, but he is correct.
Well let's be super clear here: nothing is sold as J on this flight. The first class cabin is being sold as F, the business class and economy cabins are being sold as economy. Two class flights within the 50 states never have any cabin sold as J.
Old Nov 12, 15, 8:11 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
Similarly, AA sometimes uses A321T 3-class planes for JFK-BOS-JFK legs on days of low transcon demand (often Saturdays). Enjoy!
Indeed! Just saw this on the schedule for 3 of the 4 JFK-BOS flights the days leading up to, and following, Christmas.
Old Nov 12, 15, 9:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Well let's be super clear here: nothing is sold as J on this flight. The first class cabin is being sold as F, the business class and economy cabins are being sold as economy. Two class flights within the 50 states never have any cabin sold as J.
And 3-cabin flights within the 50 states that aren't JFK-LAX/SFO and LAX-MIA would have F be sold as F, then J and Y be sold as a single cabin of Y, with J being priority seats for elites, but getting complete Y service, minus the J seat itself?
Old Nov 12, 15, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
And 3-cabin flights within the 50 states that aren't JFK-LAX/SFO and LAX-MIA would have F be sold as F, then J and Y be sold as a single cabin of Y, with J being priority seats for elites, but getting complete Y service, minus the J seat itself?
This is by and large true. In the old days there were route/aircraft combinations where both F and J were sold as F, but I think those days are gone. For some reason I've got mid-con 762s in my head for those, maybe I'm losing my mind though... In any event, I'm 99% sure that all of the current 3-class aircraft operate with F as F and J as Y when they are running non-JFK<>LAX/SFO or LAX<>MIA.
Old Nov 12, 15, 4:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
This is by and large true. In the old days there were route/aircraft combinations where both F and J were sold as F, but I think those days are gone. For some reason I've got mid-con 762s in my head for those, maybe I'm losing my mind though... In any event, I'm 99% sure that all of the current 3-class aircraft operate with F as F and J as Y when they are running non-JFK<>LAX/SFO or LAX<>MIA.
What other routes are being run that are 3-class and not premium transcons? Perhaps MIA-DFW and DFW-LAX?

Would any pmUS hubs get 3-class service, even if it was just an one-off with IRROPS?
Old Nov 12, 15, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Would any pmUS hubs get 3-class service, even if it was just an one-off with IRROPS?
No idea how they're selling it, but PHX-PHL gets an A330 starting next week, I believe. The A330 shows up occasionally throughout the holiday season.
Old Nov 13, 15, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What other routes are being run that are 3-class and not premium transcons? Perhaps MIA-DFW and DFW-LAX?

MIA/DFW for sure (last week we got switched from a 772 to a 773). From time to time JFK/MIA and DFW/ORD see a 777. Every once in awhile MIA/MCO sees a 777 for equipment switches. During the summer my MCO flight was upgauged from a 32B to a 773 (what a waste).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: