Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and seatguru aircraft confusion: “321”, “32B” (and A321T)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA aa.com Confusion: 32B only means A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices

On aa.com there now are:

321 - all LAA and LUS A321-200s, whether with Sharklets or not, in any configuration except

32B - which is now solely used for the three class transcontinental Flagship A321T.

E.g. 32B on SeatGuru link

IATA designation “32B” only means the aircraft is an Airbus A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices / winglets. Unfortunately, AA confuses passengers by only using that for the A321T now.

“321” in the schedules now means any A321-200 whether legacy AA or US, with Sharklets or not. It used to mean a two class legacy US Airways A321-200 without Sharklets.

32B aircraft in the AA fleet:

Example: 321T (as used on the safety card) / A321T (as used here and some others)

A321T: (10F, 20J, 72Y including 36 MCE) three class 32B with Flagship first, used principally on JFK to/from LAX and SFO and occasional JFK-BOS, LAX-SFO flights. Now listed on aa.cim as 32B. link to thread. SeatGuru “A321 32B Transcon”

A321S: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) now listed on aa.com as 321, a two class 32B used in normal domestic and short international service link to thread. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) now listed on aa.com as 321, two class 32B, identical to A321S in seating, but ETOPS rated and used on west coast - Hawaii service. These and the Hawaii Service 757s will ultimately be replaced by A321 neo aircraft. link to thread. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

321 (16F, 171Y including 11MCE), now applies to both legacy AA and US A321-200 aircraft. Previously it was used to designate only the pre-merger legacy US Airways two class A321-200 without Sharklets (or IFE, at-seat power). Seatguru “A321 V3”[/U]”.

Use the available seat chart on aa.com as you’re looking at a flight to differentiate these A321-200 aircraft. (And of course AA will begin standardizing all A321-200 aircraft under project Oasis - the first 321 Oasis is scheduled to fly in June 2019.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all two class Airbus A321-200 and Boeing 737 aircraft will be retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

AA and seatguru aircraft confusion: “321”, “32B” (and A321T)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos

Having taken both a lot, I feel that Mint got an initial boost because it was a newer, novel product and because it was initially significantly cheaper than AA, Delta, etc. In my opinion, aside from the service (which is better on Mint), the experience of AA and Mint is pretty similar on the transcon routes. In addition, over the past three years I’ve noticed that all of the airlines basically price match on these routes when looking far enough out. What also has changed is that AA has launched some pretty good lounges at JFK and LAX.
I like mint a lot, but on A321T route, AA really does offer pretty good value now. I am always able to find good pricing on those and the access to flagship lounge + bridge make them a really good deal. I end up flying A321T pretty much everytime now. Unfortunately, they don't offer it anywhere else!

Originally Posted by onequickquestion
Thank you so much for the speedy response!

It is a very special trip hence why I want to push the boat out to FC/Business, even though it's only domestic...I was looking at JetBlue, but am a little put off by their in-flight entertainment being so limited in terms of there only being six movies to choose from (if I understood their IFE packages correctly?).

Apologies if I am going off topic here, but for internal domestic flights, which airline IYO offers the best First/Business class? From what I have read, JetBlue seems to be the best - would you concur?
I think you are going to like their IFE a lot. A lot of satellite TV channels, free fast internet + some movies. I end up watching amazon prime on there on long trips. Totally better than the fix catalog that other carriers use.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
Wrong seat map for A321 LAX-LIH?

Booking AA #265 20 DEC LAX-LIH. "Aircraft type" says "32B".
The seat map pops up on AA.com showing a 321-V2 config (I take the "V2" from Seatguru).
Vastly different configs.
1. How to resolve?
2. I would like to email documents to AA - anyone suggest a good email address?

Thanks all-

Pcoll52
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
The seat map aa.com is showing is correct. Seatguru does not code the 32B correctly.
For AA, 32B is one derivative of the A321-200. Seatguru's reasoning behind their use of 32B to describe the A321T is unclear but it is wrong.
You're on what seatguru calls the A321-200 V2. (Which is what AA calls A321H but that's really just added confusion here)

Email what documents? Probably the only channel is the customer relations contact form.

Last edited by DWFI; Aug 8, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
LAX-LIH is a domestic configured a321 with 16 recliner seats. Nothing to be resolved - what aa.com shows is correct. Seatguru is wrong.

The 32B on seatguru is for LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK (and occasionally makes an appearance at BOS). it does not fly to Hawaii ever.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:17 pm

See:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
Thanks to all, and to the MOD for moving this to correct thread.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:39 pm

LAX-BOS Flight 2800

Confused as to the seating for this flight for next July. AA shows first is recliner chairs and seat guru shows a 32B with lie flat first and business. Award seats are available but I would of course prefer a lie flat. Any ideas??
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:16 pm

Take JetBlue or delta
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flightmedic
Confused as to the seating for this flight for next July. AA shows first is recliner chairs and seat guru shows a 32B with lie flat first and business. Award seats are available but I would of course prefer a lie flat. Any ideas??
“32B” merely means 32B” aircraft:

A321H (Hawaii dedicated ETOPS) and A321S. These are two class with reclining seats in domestic F. Their seat chart is similar.

A321T three class service with Flagship First and Business.

The latter serve JFK-LAX and -SFO., and can occasionally be found JFK-BOS-JFK or SFO-LAX.

Trust AA; your LAX-BOS will be in a recliner-equipped A321S Type 32B, not the A321T, unlesssimething happens and AA decides to add A321Ts and expand Flagship service. (Don’t hold your breath.)

We will soon merge this into the existing thread. Moderator
A other tip: don’t trust SeatGuru. Ever since they bought it, TripAdvisor has neither invested the resources to keep it current nor known what they really want to do with it.
aztimm and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:43 pm

Thanks. Would of course prefer lie flat but only anytime awards from LAX-JFK are available.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Has AA recently changed the 32B designation? Booking LAX-BOS next month and noticed there are now distinctions on AA.com in aircraft type between 32Bs (3-cabin) and 321 (LAA layout, formerly also 32B). Wonder if this is related to the NEO being added to the fleet.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by daron4000
Has AA recently changed the 32B designation? Booking LAX-BOS next month and noticed there are now distinctions on AA.com in aircraft type between 32Bs (3-cabin) and 321 (LAA layout, formerly also 32B). Wonder if this is related to the NEO being added to the fleet.
Yes. As stated in this thread, both LAA and LUS 2-class A321s now show up as 321, while 32B is reserved solely for the 3-class transcon.

This is actually related to the “Oasis” retrofit. Once all planes are reconfigured there won’t be a difference between an LAA or an LUS A321. However, given that the process hasn’t even started yet, they really jumped the gun on changing the designations on AA.com.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
For now we can tell the difference by seat maps and which one does and does not list power.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by arc727

Yes. As stated in this thread, both LAA and LUS 2-class A321s now show up as 321, while 32B is reserved solely for the 3-class transcon.

This is actually related to the “Oasis” retrofit. Once all planes are reconfigured there won’t be a difference between an LAA or an LUS A321. However, given that the process hasn’t even started yet, they really jumped the gun on changing the designations on AA.com.
They’d have been more customer friendly to renumber the rows on the 738 so they’d match the new numbering system used on the 738 Oasis before the tomfoolery began. And fixed their abominable equipment change seat loss bug.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.