Time for row renumbering?

Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
the commoners start in row 7 or 8 (on a 738). To avoid confusion, AA should start those seat numbers with a 1000, like how my cable identifies the HD channels.

Pit of Misery starts @Row 7
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Pit of Misery starts @Row 7
in the case of the CR2 .. row 1 even
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
First world problem
Originally Posted by arlflyer
For fun, I looked at the seat maps of some of the Indian and African LCCs, and their seat maps all start with row 1...so you're actually right...
Evidently some Chinese airlines don't start at row 1, so it's a second-world problem as well
arlflyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
I believe the 737 and the MD80 seat numbering scheme came out of a long-ago attempt at standardization. From the then ‘standard’ domestic 757 AA configuration of 24 F, to align the seat numbers for economy so that all started at row 7, they began with row 3 for the ‘low first’ 16 seat cabins of the Super 80s and 737s. Oh how times have changed...

...someone around even earlier might be able to recall what the 727 configurations were...that was before my time.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Evidently some Chinese airlines don't start at row 1, so it's a second-world problem as well
At least they don't stick anybody in row 4 - that probably would not be considered "preferred seating".
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Pilots sit in row 1. FA sit in row 2. Commoners start in row 3. Not sure what the problem is.
So THAT'S why 1A and B are always blocked! Who knew?
zhangg likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:19 pm

This proposal sounds like the equivalent of asking hotels to standardize their room numbers. What difference does it make? They could call it row 75 in first class, I don't care. Just go where the matching number from your boarding pass is on the plane...why does anyone care what the digits are for their seat number? I don't understand.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
This proposal sounds like the equivalent of asking hotels to standardize their room numbers. What difference does it make? They could call it row 75 in first class, I don't care. Just go where the matching number from your boarding pass is on the plane...why does anyone care what the digits are for their seat number? I don't understand.
Funny that your example in fact proves the counterpoint: hotel room numbers actually are standardized, in that the first one or two digits specify the floor number. Wouldn't you find it annoying if room #605 was on the third floor in Marriotts but on the eighteenth in Hyatts?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Funny that your example in fact proves the counterpoint: hotel room numbers actually are standardized, in that the first one or two digits specify the floor number. Wouldn't you find it annoying if room #605 was on the third floor in Marriotts but on the eighteenth in Hyatts?
That confused me at the Hilton O'Hare recently. Room #2011 is on level 2, not 20.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
mainly because there is no benefit to it starting on row 3. So it is benefit free confusion.

so why not eliminate that?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
It makes a difference when you are booking or re-booking on the fly over the phone and the agent is asking if you which seat assignment you prefer. Without having a seatmap in front of you, you could erroneously select a bulkhead seat without wanting to (I personally hate them) or vice-versa. If all FC bulkhead seats were row number 1, you would now. Alternatively, if the Economy rows began at the same row number, you could do the same there. Obviously there are differences back in coach that may affect seat selection, but to at least align the bulkhead rows would be nice.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.