Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earliest bag-drop for a connecting flight JFK T8

Old Apr 25, 18, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld

I'm considering a family trip from Rio to London in December. If we choose to fly via JFK, we can take advantage of a 15 hour layover in NY (during which time we could see a few things in Manhattan) and then continue our journey to London. Can we collect our bags at JFK and then immediately check them to London (in the morning), then leave the airport and return in the evening for the night flight to London? Or do we have to lug our bags around Manhattan? Or is there a luggage depot at JFK T8?

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; Apr 25, 18 at 11:26 am
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil View Post
Or is there a luggage depot at JFK T8?
I doubt you can check your bags so early, but maybe someone else can share thoughts.

There is a luggage storage facility at JFK T8. On the same level as baggage claim, towards the doors (I had to ask someone, who took me over to the counter). It was a bit pricey.

If you'd rather not leave your bags at the airport, there's a healthy thread in the NYC forum you may want to check out:
The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks, just to clarify, it's a connecting flight on the same ticket (all AA metal). My understanding is that we are legally obliged to collect our bags on arrival in JFK and then re-check them for the connecting flight. In a perfect world we would have preferred to check our bags in RIO and retrieve them in LONDON but realize that is not possible.
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, just to clarify, it's a connecting flight on the same ticket (all AA metal). My understanding is that we are legally obliged to collect our bags on arrival in JFK and then re-check them for the connecting flight. In a perfect world we would have preferred to check our bags in RIO and retrieve them in LONDON but realize that is not possible.
If it is the same ticket and same day, it should work then. Just make sure when you check the bags in Rio that they are tagged to London. You will need to retrieve them at JFK to go through customs, but you should be able to check them right after.
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Fantastic! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks so much for your comment.
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
AA usually will not check through on connections greater than 12 hours, so I would make plans based on the fact that your 15 hour layover is longer than that (i.e. find an alternative in case they don't let you check your bags to London in the morning).
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I can take a shorter connection; 15 is the longest but there are some under 12 hours. Realistically, we only need 6 to 8 hours to run around and see the sights before heading to London.
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:08 pm

Thanks, I can take a shorter connection; 15 is the longest but there are some under 12 hours. Realistically, we only need 6 to 8 hours to run around and see the sights before heading to London.
If you want to see New York, I'd take the connection you want. If they don't check the bags through from Rio, you could try again at the luggage desk at JFK (immediately after customs). Then if that doesn't work, you can pay to store the bags.

Perhaps wrp96 has more recent experience, but a quick Google search brought me to this thread on TA from about a year ago, where someone arrived at 8am, left at 10pm, and AA accepted the transfer bags:
Old Jun 25, 19, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Related question. Anyone know what is the earliest time one can checkin with bags for an AA flight to LHR at 5PM? Any chance it can be done the evening before?
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Related question. Anyone know what is the earliest time one can checkin with bags for an AA flight to LHR at 5PM? Any chance it can be done the evening before?
Anyone?
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Anyone?
No, definitely not the day before.
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Even if connecting, the maximum AA will hold a bag is 12 hours.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
I read this as "evilest bag drop" and wondered whether it was a guitar or cello case seen falling from the bag storage door on a plane.
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: