Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F

♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F

Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
Hope JonNYC 's high % of being correct continues on this one.

Have to say, since the US influx of agents answering EXP line it has been anything but stellar in service.
See my Post #59
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Happy to report AA still allows upgrades from Y-J on PE fitted a/c as I fly across the Atlantic in 3A on my way to Madrid as we speak
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Happy to report AA still allows upgrades from Y-J on PE fitted a/c as I fly across the Atlantic in 3A on my way to Madrid as we speak
For the time being.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by SFO777
For the time being.
yep. I see this change coming. Cheap Parker and company are probably devising ways to make AA’s FFP at the bottom of the barrel. Remember, he’ll never lose money again. ​​​​​​​
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
AA could keep the double cabin upgrade but change the upgrade priority so that cabin trumps status
Upgrade Waitlist example:
1 EXP ticketed on PE (SWU)
2 GLD ticketed on PE (miles+copay)
3 Non status ticketed on PE (miles+copay)
4 EXP ticketed on Y (SWU)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by weero
But EXPs don't get domestic coupons anyway ... that would be quite a paradigm change.
I think what golfingboy was speculating was a new type of upgrade instrument that clears into C space on domestic flights only.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

yep. I see this change coming. Cheap Parker and company are probably devising ways to make AA’s FFP at the bottom of the barrel. Remember, he’ll never lose money again.
I have to admit this board does give me laughs. Let’s face it. Most of us 20+ plus year flyers are not happy lately. Even my lowly coach self remembers the “the good old days”. For the first time in 20-30 years they are making money. So of course the wringing of profits out of every dollar is SOP for all CEO's.

I laughed at a guy last week who said about upgrades “the important people who fly a lot get those”. I said no, important people aren’t flying every week.

I have 10k spend on domestic coach this year out of DFW and my upgrade percentage is bad.

We have tasted the sweet and now we are tasting the bitter.

Last edited by shaddie; Apr 26, 2018 at 9:43 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
A healthy attitude is to assume that you'll sit in the cabin you originally bought.
......but if they adopted that attitude, what would all the Twitter-heads Tweet about?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jcatman
......but if they adopted that attitude, what would all the Twitter-heads Tweet about?
They're just twats anyway.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by econometrics
I would happily buy PE to use an SWU if they gave us 8 again. More rev for AA from me, but I'm still saving a lot of money to fly J. I see little chance of AA going from 4-->8 again, but since this is a rumor thread, it's fun to dream.
With F going away, AA could seriously contemplate this ... at least 6 SWUs ....
Agreed. And it's probably safe to say... the worst LOYALTY program for top level fliers. (Outside of OW F lounge access).
With a handful of exceptions, the OW F lounges are nothing to write home about.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
A healthy attitude is to assume that you'll sit in the cabin you originally bought.
Agreed, but that is an attitude that quickly leads away from AA for many of us.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
Agreed, but that is an attitude that quickly leads away from AA for many of us.
Does AA really care for these passengers who bought O fares and sit in Business class which actually cost AA an opportunities to sell a discount international business class ticket either by revenue or miles?

Or does AA really care for some of the minority passengers 'gift' their SWU to some random passengers online who bought a cheap economy class ticket to sit in business class while AA lost the opportunity to sell an upgrade?

And where would you go after leaving AA?

I think the reality is airlines could not care less about upgraders although they cannot say it loud. They would like to get rid of loyalty programme all together if they get a chance.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
I just finished an RTW (with an OSL-LHR-LAX-LHR-OSL backtrack,) essentially in PE on CX and BA primarily. The CX seat cushions were definitely comfortable, though try not to get stuck in the middle seats in the middle section, as with the seats in front of you reclined, you won't be able to get out without disturbing your seatmates and a little limbo or lap dance required. I did CX HKG-JFK in a bulkhead aisle 30D (slept very well even though too many pax from the port side use this as a crossover to the restroom instead of just going back to coach section restroom on the port side as instructed by the FA's,) but on my CX LHR-HKG, they cancelled my flight, with a good seat, and put me on the later flight in 31E. Sucked, though the seat cushion was great. My BA PE flights were on A380's, LHR-LAX-LHR, bulkhead 61B to LAX and middle section aisle 66F, with an empty middle seat, on the return. Both were fine, though the seat cushion is firmer than CX's.

As a UA 1K, also, you get used to having to pay up fare to get to use your SWU's (GPU's in UA's case.) Since AA usually copies UA and DL, I won't be surprised when something like this happens. Just that many FEWER AA flights I'll be taking. For now, I only book and ticket flights where the SWU UPG is immediate. Of course, I'm retired here in BKK, sooooo...
For the CX PEY flights, that is correct. I tried LHR-HKG, and HKG-YYZ last few times, I was able to sleep as much as 80% of the flight time. It may even be better than J in the sense that you know middle seats are not easy to talk to the FA all the time, so it is like get your own meal, brush my teeth, then go to sleep. Usually just leave the talking to the end of the flight. Nothing is better than the CX PEY in terms of hard product and onboard service to OneWorld elite members.

Depending on the fares, UA W can be cheaper than the lowest AA economy fare for some Northeastern cities. I wouldn't mind going to YYZ for the flights knowing the market is ultra competitive. In addition, UA Customer Service/care has been pretty friendly lately, so dealing with them is much more pleasant. If this happens to UA as well, I will be pretty ready to move on as Lifetime Gold is all that matters for Star Alliance flights. If you are based in a city where UA doesn't fly, then anything above Gold doesn't mean anything. Might as well become a free agent or try other FFPs' LT status.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Apr 27, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by chongcao
Does AA really care for these passengers who bought O fares and sit in Business class which actually cost AA an opportunities to sell a discount international business class ticket either by revenue or miles?

Or does AA really care for some of the minority passengers 'gift' their SWU to some random passengers online who bought a cheap economy class ticket to sit in business class while AA lost the opportunity to sell an upgrade?

I think the reality is airlines could not care less about upgraders although they cannot say it loud. They would like to get rid of loyalty programme all together if they get a chance.
Easy answer, Jet Blue Mint if I'm paying for J. While they don't fly to Europe (where I prefer to use my SWUs), they fly LAX-FLL, LAX-BOS, LAX-JFK where they blow away AA with hard product, and that's 90% of my paid travel.

So you are saying does American care for Exps who actually use their SWU? I would say yes, but you think otherwise. You can't care for me 363 days of the year and not care for me on the two days I use my SWU. (or they can, but I just remember the not caring days).

American got it's edge not through the planes but by having the best FF program in the market. Now that it's not, it will lag Delta even more. Your argument also applies to mileage awards. Why have a program at all if all?

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 27, 2018 at 11:44 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chongcao
Originally Posted by beachfan
Easy answer, Jet Blue Mint if I'm paying for J. While they don't fly to Europe (where I prefer to use my SWUs), they fly LAX-FLL, LAX-BOS, LAX-JFK where they blow away AA with hard product, and that's 90% of my paid travel.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.