Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F

♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F

Old Apr 26, 18, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
Fully understand that some people have info in advance. Having a hard time understanding why AA seems to prefer, or even allow, that method of reaching their customers.
Ah, well, if that's a bugaboo of yours, definitely best to steer clear of twitter the next few days then.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Ah, well, if that's a bugaboo of yours, definitely best to steer clear of twitter the next few days then.
Do tell!
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Encore une fois, AA management has seen fit to NOT consult me on (potential) AAdvantage changes.

So like everyone here, I will have to wait and see what the new "enhancements", if any, will be.

And like everyone here, I will have to live with them. Or not.

But rumours, gossip, and speculation are fun!
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post

Go on...
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
...With that said, AA will be foolish to roll out such negative change without doing a total revamp of the upgrade program IMHO. UA offers more global upgrades (with far more generous policy except for fare minimums), UA/DL offers instant upgrade coupons for domestic trips, UA/DL allows complimentary upgrades for all elites and their companion, etc etc.

AA’s only edge is the SWU with no fare requirements.
I still think that this is a sensible move. But if the change brought back 8 SWU pro anno, I'd welcome the restriction.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 26, 18, 10:25 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by weero View Post
I still think that this is a sensible move. But if the change brought back 8 SWU pro anno, I'd welcome the restriction.
I agree if they add a restriction of any sort they need to expand the overall upgrade program... Add domestic upgrade coupons? Allow upgrading domestic segments when applying SWU but do not take away the SWU if the international sector does not clear like UA? Offer EXPs the option to select what type of upgrade instruments they want like DL?

While all of this is wild unsubstainated rumor at this point, lets hypothesize the only change AA makes is no longer allowing Y to J upgrades with SWUs. They will have the worst upgrade program in my opinion even if UA and DL imposes the same restrictions.
Old Apr 26, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by weero View Post
I would happily buy PE to use an SWU if they gave us 8 again. More rev for AA from me, but I'm still saving a lot of money to fly J. I see little chance of AA going from 4-->8 again, but since this is a rumor thread, it's fun to dream.

While all of this is wild unsubstainated rumor at this point, lets hypothesize the only change AA makes is no longer allowing Y to J upgrades with SWUs. They will have the worst upgrade program in my opinion even if UA and DL imposes the same restrictions.
Agreed. And it's probably safe to say... the worst LOYALTY program for top level fliers. (Outside of OW F lounge access).
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Why the worst?
Most international airlines will give their top elites at the most 2 upgrades to the next class of service, no double cabin upgrade (some other programs give you none upgrades other than with miles or points).

AA gives you 4 SWUs...even if only to PE, still better than most airlines.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Apr 26, 18, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
.. Add domestic upgrade coupons?
But EXPs don't get domestic coupons anyway ... that would be quite a paradigm change.
Allow upgrading domestic segments when applying SWU but do not take away the SWU if the international sector does not clear like UA?
I didn't even know this was a real restriction .
They will have the worst upgrade program in my opinion even if UA and DL imposes the same restrictions.
On paper yes .. but why I really dislike UA for the last 6 years is that the upgrades do no longer clear, even on very high fares. I had upgrades from full fares not clearing that I purchased months in advance. 1K is no remote match for EXP.
Old Apr 26, 18, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Why the worst?
Most international airlines will give their top elites at the most 2 upgrades to the next class of service, no double cabin upgrade (some other programs give you none upgrades other than with miles or points).

AA gives you 4 SWUs...even if only to PE, still better than most airlines.
The context for comparison is for USA-based fliers choosing a USA-based airline.

But maybe they will all regress to the worldwide mean standard of not offering much for top-tier upgrade benefits in the coming years.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Apr 26, 18, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
A healthy attitude is to assume that you'll sit in the cabin you originally bought.
Old Apr 26, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
A healthy attitude is to assume that you'll sit in the cabin you originally bought.
Managing managed expectations! Brilliant!
Old Apr 26, 18, 6:03 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Without divulging too much info....

One of of my clients I just met with works for AA and the corporate training she went to yesterday definitely had some info that tells me that this is happening.

Put it it in writing—this IS going to happen sooner than later. It is in the works.

Sorry, peeps. I didn’t want to believe it either but I asked her specifically about this.
Old Apr 26, 18, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Plat.(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
JonNYC writes this is patently untrue

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/988975300443824128
Hope JonNYC 's high % of being correct continues on this one.

Have to say, since the US influx of agents answering EXP line it has been anything but stellar in service.
Old Apr 26, 18, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Plat.(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
LOL. Yeah, because why would anyone want to fly on this?

Would be a similar decision on AA vs BA on non-stops to LHR. Fly PE on BE & call it a day (when comparing AA PE to BA PE).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: