FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Several Hours Layover in LHR: Which Lounge? What to do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1905472-several-hours-layover-lhr-lounge-what-do.html)

spycygrl Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Several Hours Layover in LHR: Which Lounge? What to do?

Next week, I'm flying JFK-LHR-FCO in J. I have a 6-hour layover in LHR (while I wait for the husband to arrive from LAX and then we travel together to FCO).
AA JFK-LHR (Flagship Business), then BA LHR-FCO (Club Europe)

So the question becomes, which lounge(s) should I spend my time in while waiting for the husband?
I know there is an American lounge in T3, but it doesn't appear to be Flagship.
There is also the BA Galleries Club Lounge in T5 (which I've never tried).

However, I've heard good things about the Qantas London Lounge in T3 (the Gin bar, specifically!). Checking the oneworld lounge site, it SEEMS like I would have access to that, as well?

Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.
Access: Business Class / First Class / Sapphire Tier / Emerald Tier

potus18 Apr 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Yes. In addition to the Qantas lounge you'll also have access to the Cathay Pacific Business Class lounge next door.

FlyerBeek Apr 22, 2018 4:18 pm

You’ll be arriving in T3 and will need to transfer to T5 (either remaining airside using a bus, or clearing Immigration and taking the Heathrow Express). Regardless, I would not assume that you’ll have any access to the T3 lounges (you’ll need to sweettalk your way back into T3 at the Flight connections center - and I’ve only seen mixed reports of success if you’re holding a T5 boarding pass). So, I would plan on only having access to the BA lounges in T5.

Since your connection is so long, I would consider going landslide in T3, having breakfast and a shower in AA’s nice Arrivals Lounge, and then taking the HEX to T5.

If by some small chance you are able to stay in T3, the new Qantas and Cathay lounges would be your best option. Allow plenty of time (90 mins before your FCO flight departs) to make it over to T5.
-FlyerBeek

spycygrl Apr 22, 2018 4:42 pm

@FlyerBeek good info, thank you!!!

I definitely like the idea of a shower! Really wanted to check out that gin bar, tho. Maybe I will have to save it for the way home.

dave_261 Apr 22, 2018 6:13 pm

I had a similar T3-T5 6+hour layover last month.

You will almost certainly not have access to return to T3 since you'll be shuffled through to flight connections for the bus to T5. I have inquired in the past about staying in T3 and was denied. This is unfortunate as the best LHR oneworld lounges are in T3 (Qantas and Cathay being my preferences over AA and BA).

In T5 you'll be limited to the BA Galleries lounges. They are certainly better than nothing, but spending 6 hours there would get tiring.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could do what we did. Stop in the AA Arrivals lounge for a shower and clear immigration. Then a 20-minute Uber to the town of Windsor. Probably not enough time to go into the castle, but would give you a couple hours to wander around town before an Uber back to LHR T5.

carlosdca Apr 22, 2018 6:36 pm

I always wanted to visit the AA arrivals lounge. When I finally could (final destination London), I was like "MEH".

Are the showers still available at Elemis Spa in Terminal 5 for business class pax? While the showers at Elemis Spa are kind of plastic-y and don't feel super luxurious they are fine and do the job. I've never tried the treatments at Elemis Spa (for pay) and I bet they are overpriced but you might consider doing any of those to kill time if budget allows it?

While others seem to love clearing immigration and taking the train just for the sake of visiting the AA's arrivals lounge, personally, I wouldn't go through the trouble.

BA Gallery lounges at Terminal 5 are busy/crowded but fine for me. Not more crowded than any of AA's hub lounges.

aztimm Apr 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261 (Post 29671913)
If you're feeling adventurous, you could do what we did. Stop in the AA Arrivals lounge for a shower and clear immigration. Then a 20-minute Uber to the town of Windsor. Probably not enough time to go into the castle, but would give you a couple hours to wander around town before an Uber back to LHR T5.

This would be my suggestion as well. Head to Windsor, walk around a bit, see a little of the town.

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 29671978)
BA Gallery lounges at Terminal 5 are busy/crowded but fine for me. Not more crowded than any of AA's hub lounges.

I've been to the T5B lounge numerous times and maybe once would I call it crowded. I've never had to wait for a shower there. The staff are always friendly and helpful. One time I asked about boarding my flight, and the gal immediately called down to the gate, then told me I could relax for another 10 minutes.

QueenOfCoach Apr 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Another option would be to clear immigration and get a room in a nearby hotel. Relax, shower, sleep in an actual hotel room, not an airport lounge. Hotels often have day rates. If you have the funds, that might be an attractive option.

ryan182 Apr 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Not sure 6 hours is long enough to really go out and see much...my last longish layover in LHR I used the Plaza Premium Lounge in T2 (landside) and got a day room for 3 hours with a massage, pricing was quite reasonable and it was nice to have your own bed, shower, room to relax in plus a 60 min massage.

carlosdca Apr 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 29671991)
I've been to the T5B lounge numerous times and maybe once would I call it crowded

Agree. T5B seems to be less crowded. OP would need to take the train to 5B (an easy ride).

The trick is how to get back to 5A, since FCO flights are most likely departing from 5A. The only way is walking back through the tunnel. There is a post somewhere in FT describing the walk back from 5B to to 5A.

JDiver Apr 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges, so it’d be unusual to be allowed to return to use them if you’re connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 5.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways First and Club / Business lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate
Landside, for arriving premium passengers and Emeralds (no guests)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)
Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Lounge (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Class Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club / Business lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club / Business lounge T5B Satellite
Landside, for arriving premium passengers and Emeralds (no guests)
British Airways Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)
For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here.

For transferring T3 <-> T5, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...onnection.html.

FobbyFlyer Apr 23, 2018 12:27 am

I've never had any issues arriving into T3 with a boarding pass for T5 and re-entering T3 departures. Transfer security will remind you that your next flight is at T5. You just politely tell them you know and that you are going to use the lounges here. Only downside is having to clear LHR security twice. So allow yourself enough time
To get to T5 from T3, go back the way you enterered and you should see a door for transfers that takes you back to the transit area to catch the shuttle for T5

Janakk Apr 23, 2018 2:55 am

of course :D

captaink Apr 23, 2018 10:40 am

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Cathay Lounge offerings in the AM. The Admirals club has the same spread, plus self-serve alcohol and a pretty good bloody mary bar. For a longer sit, the Cathay offering is probably better.

radiotvlaw Apr 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Had just about a 7 hour layover in February but we were in T5 already - took Piccadilly line downstairs to Knightsbridge (about 45 minutes) had lunch and did some shopping at Harrods, came back and had ample time for a pre-flight meal in the lounge before boarding onward service. 6 hours including getting from T3 to T5 might be cutting it too fine.

Windsor is a good option - and yes, showers are available at Elemis Spa down at T5 South lounge area (between Concorde Room and Galleries lounge), functional and clean, not much more than that.