Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Several Hours Layover in LHR: Which Lounge? What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Several Hours Layover in LHR: Which Lounge? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
I've never had any issues arriving into T3 with a boarding pass for T5 and re-entering T3 departures. Transfer security will remind you that your next flight is at T5. You just politely tell them you know and that you are going to use the lounges here. Only downside is having to clear LHR security twice. So allow yourself enough time
To get to T5 from T3, go back the way you enterered and you should see a door for transfers that takes you back to the transit area to catch the shuttle for T5
I never thought this would work. So you don't have to interact with anyone/explain when leaving the T3 departure area heading to T5? I want to try this next time.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by captaink
I was pretty underwhelmed by the Cathay Lounge offerings in the AM. The Admirals club has the same spread, plus self-serve alcohol and a pretty good bloody mary bar. For a longer sit, the Cathay offering is probably better.
agreed - breakfast in AA (and download anything you need downloading there - WiFi is fantastic speed) and then go and hang out at Cathay for the views and champagne.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish

agreed - breakfast in AA (and download anything you need downloading there - WiFi is fantastic speed) and then go and hang out at Cathay for the views and champagne.
And the Cathay Noodle/dim sum bar!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I never thought this would work. So you don't have to interact with anyone/explain when leaving the T3 departure area heading to T5? I want to try this next time.
Correct, you do not have to interact with anyone when you leave the T3 departure area, there are 2 doors you go through to access the transit area again. Sign may be labeled "Flight Connections" if I recall.

The only interaction you will have is when they scan your BP prior to security
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I always wanted to visit the AA arrivals lounge. When I finally could (final destination London), I was like "MEH".

Are the showers still available at Elemis Spa in Terminal 5 for business class pax? While the showers at Elemis Spa are kind of plastic-y and don't feel super luxurious they are fine and do the job. I've never tried the treatments at Elemis Spa (for pay) and I bet they are overpriced but you might consider doing any of those to kill time if budget allows it?

While others seem to love clearing immigration and taking the train just for the sake of visiting the AA's arrivals lounge, personally, I wouldn't go through the trouble.

BA Gallery lounges at Terminal 5 are busy/crowded but fine for me. Not more crowded than any of AA's hub lounges.
Agree. Immigration in T3 for visitors can easily take 90+ minutes. Not sure that is worth it for a better shower and yes the showers at the AA arrivals lounge are nice (minus that the rooms are a bit small) when compared to the BA showers. Still, I would agree its not worth the trouble/effort to formally enter the UK just to shower.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:31 am

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways First and Club / Business lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate
What's the current favorite business lounge? In recent years we've been using BA and haven't explored.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
By the time you get off the airplane, go through immigration, and have a shower at the arrivals lounge, easily one of your six hours will have been taken up. If you figure on leaving two hours before your next flight, you have a clear three hours to kill. I would not want to stay in a lounge for that amount of time, no matter how amenity-packed it is. There is only so much champagne and nibbles I can tolerate around lunchtime after a very short night. My personal suggestion is to follow the Windsor advice. Have a nice meal outside somewhere, walk around the castle area, get fresh air, really stretch your legs, etc. You'll acclimatise to the time change faster and you'll feel much better afterwards.
tismfu and aztimm like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
What's the current favorite business lounge? In recent years we've been using BA and haven't explored.
LHR T3 is really solid for lounges. My thoughts are to visit:

- AA Flagship for cooked-to-order food (if you have access), some fruit/veggie smoothies and some takeaway candy (for the kids, of course)
- Cathay for noodles and dimsum (and if you have EXP status, the First side has a nice sit-down cooked-to-order restaurant)
- Qantas for the gin bar, decor, decent food spread, and then some serious peace and quiet. A couple weeks ago was there around 12:30pm, and when the Perth flight was called, the entire lounge emptied and we were the only ones left.

They are all within a very short walk of each other, so have fun checking them all out.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dave_261
You will almost certainly not have access to return to T3 since you'll be shuffled through to flight connections for the bus to T5. I have inquired in the past about staying in T3 and was denied. This is unfortunate as the best LHR oneworld lounges are in T3 (Qantas and Cathay being my preferences over AA and BA)
If you're feeling adventurous, you could do what we did. Stop in the AA Arrivals lounge for a shower and clear immigration. Then a 20-minute Uber to the town of Windsor. Probably not enough time to go into the castle, but would give you a couple hours to wander around town before an Uber back to LHR T5.
Thanks, dave_261. I've been to Windsor last year and it's very cute, to be sure. Did the full Castle tour, then, as well. I like the idea of that, but since I need to meet up with my husband (who is flying in from LAX and will get in a few hours before our Rome flight), I'm not sure if it all works out, timing-wise.

QUESTION: If I go ahead and head to AA Arrivals, taking my shower and heading into Windsor, how long should I leave for getting back thru security at T5?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by radiotvlaw
... yes, showers are available at Elemis Spa down at T5 South lounge area (between Concorde Room and Galleries lounge), functional and clean, not much more than that.
I had read a review of the showers that said it felt like taking a shower on a cruise ship.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by spycygrl
Thanks, dave_261. I've been to Windsor last year and it's very cute, to be sure. Did the full Castle tour, then, as well. I like the idea of that, but since I need to meet up with my husband (who is flying in from LAX and will get in a few hours before our Rome flight), I'm not sure if it all works out, timing-wise.

QUESTION: If I go ahead and head to AA Arrivals, taking my shower and heading into Windsor, how long should I leave for getting back thru security at T5?
Depends on your risk tolerance I guess
Our agenda was something like this:
- 1 hour to deplane, clear immigration, Arrivals lounge for shower/food (as you know, clearing immigration can vary, but as a Fast Track it was lightning quick at 6:15am)
- 45 minutes for Uber (the actual ride is only about 25, but it took about 20 mins from ordering the car to meeting the driver in the short-term parking lot as it gets congested in the pick-up area). You could take a LHR black cab but the fare will be significantly higher
- 3 hours in Windsor (as a tip, we had some rollaboard bags which we were able to leave in at the check-in desk at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel with no issues)
- 30 minutes for Uber back to T5
- 30 minutes to clear immigration and security into T5 (again, as a business class passenger security wait should be minimal)
- 60 minutes at lounge before heading to gate

Long answer to your question... but in essence, I'd leave Windsor 2.5 hours before your flight departure. Even if traffic is bad (say 45 mins) and the immigration and security lines are excessively long (say, 1 hour), you still get to your gate before boarding.
aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
Correct, you do not have to interact with anyone when you leave the T3 departure area, there are 2 doors you go through to access the transit area again. Sign may be labeled "Flight Connections" if I recall.

The only interaction you will have is when they scan your BP prior to security
Hi Fobby:
So my noob question here is, after deplaning, I go through Immigration (getting spit out into the baggage claim area) and then I take the escalators or whatever BACK to departures to re-enter T3 through Security?

Would my bag be checked through (AA-BA)? Or would I need to collect my bag and then re-check?
Thanks,
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:21 pm

Hi Fobby:
So my noob question here is, after deplaning, I go through Immigration (getting spit out into the baggage claim area) and then I take the escalators or whatever BACK to departures to re-enter T3 through Security?

Would my bag be checked through (AA-BA)? Or would I need to collect my bag and then re-check?
Thanks,
No... if you want to stay in the terminal, do not clear immigration or visit the baggage claim. Just follow the signs to Flight Connections and where the T2, T4 and T5 passengers will be pointed to a bus, you stay and follow to T3 connections which will put you into security and back into the terminal. As others have said, you may get questioned that your connection departs from t5, but (apparently you can) tell security you are visiting the lounges and will transfer terminals later.

Your bag will be checked through to your end destination if you're on one ticket... no need to claim in LHR.
FobbyFlyer and spycygrl like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I had read a review of the showers that said it felt like taking a shower on a cruise ship.
Cruise ship shower stalls are probably half the size of Elemis showers.
Again, they are fine for taking a shower.
spycygrl likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Dave and Carlos for the replies. Very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.