Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“Choose a different flight or fare“ message on AA site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Choose a different flight or fare“ message on AA site

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbrower
This has been happening to me today on a "normal" AA metal booking for LAX-JFK, LGA-ORD, then ORD-LAX. All the same flights show as available since 4pm today, but I can't book it online. And web services is over 30 minute wait.
are you connecting at ORD or do you have a stopover?

If connecting, the issue could be that maried sector availability is impacting the journey since the search would not have checked through availability - alternatively it could have been pricing as 2 sectors but then when confirming, it determined that the fare should have been based as LGA-LAX

If you search for LGA-LAX , can you get the flight pairing ? if so, that will, I suspect , work with no issue

If it is just a general error with that routing on the AA site, perhaps may be able to book on another site ( book with matrix may find a place to do it ) or over the phone

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 4, 2018 at 12:07 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
are you connecting at ORD or do you have a stopover?

If connecting, the issue could be that maried sector availability is impacting the journey since the search would not have checked through availability - alternatively it could have been pricing as 2 sectors but then when confirming, it determined that the fare should have been based as LGA-LAX

If you search for LGA-LAX , can you get the flight pairing ? if so, that will, I suspect , work with no issue

If it is just a general error with that routing on the AA site, perhaps may be able to book on another site ( book with matrix may find a place to do it ) or over the phone
Flights on 3 separate days, so it was some sort of glitch with the system. When I called to book they were able to do it at a slightly higher fare (about $36 more), but because it was so late at night they couldn't apply my business number. I went back today and did the same flights, got the same fare (lower than phone), and the booking worked just fine.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I was trying to change a flight a couple of weeks ago and I kept getting that message. I called and they also had issues and it turned out it had something to do with the fare bucket changing.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I got this message today when AA had already booked me into alternate flights; it then claimed the flights they had selected themselves were "no longer available."

I switched over to the phone app and things worked normally.

I'd suggest trying the phone app and/or a different browser to see if it clears that way.

Definitely an IT glitch. For AA to know about this glitch for apparently months or more, and not fix it, is pathetic.
IAHtraveler and zarkov505 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I get that error message particularly when booking off google flights. A great non basic economy fare goes up in smoke.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:28 pm

Selected fare is no longer available

Seems like they have no regard for their customers.
I tried whole day but whatever flights I try to book
It says at the end of check out that selected fare is
no longer available. Unless I book the double price
ticket, honestly a rip off. I better book from any other
airline more expensive but honest.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I had an interesting experience last night I thought might be useful to others on here. I found an itinerary I was interested in that appeared to be available at a good price on AA.com. I got through to the final booking screen several times but kept getting the “Choose a different flight or fare” error on the website.

I ringed up the Executive Platinum line and told them about it; they told me that I needed to talk to web services and transferred me over. I told the web services person my dates/flights and how I searched for them on AA.com. She looked into it and told me that sometimes there is a discrepancy in our systems and we can’t offer you that fare, your new fare will be (about $200 more than what I saw online) and that they could not honor the online price.

I told her that I use Sabre (really expert flyer) and validated that O inventory was available for all segments, I also read off the fare basis code and told her that I read through the fare rules and validated that the flights met the conditions of the rules. She asked me if I was a travel agent, to which I responded, no, I’m just an educated consumer. She said that there wasn’t anything she could do, I suggested that she call the tariff desk to have a Phase IV ticket issued. She put me on a surprisingly brief hold and came back to tell me that her supervisor approved an exception.

She took my payment info and told me that the AACoRN system does allow overrides for inventory availability—Phase IV isn’t required accomplish this. Apparently one of my segments didn’t really have O inventory in Acorn, my ticket did get issued at the lower price with the segment that had an availability issue appearing on the PNR twice, once in Y and once in O. I went onto prefunds.aa.com to view a detailed receipt, but the Y segment doesn’t show there. The O segments do show using the O fare basis. Also, I wasn’t able to assign seats myself online, but the EXP desk was able to do it for me after the ticket got issued.

I just thought I’d post this here as a PSA of sorts, if you get this issue online, Web Services can override if they want, but you might need to be super persistent.
fotographer and rill2503456 like this.

Last edited by donotblink; Dec 28, 2019 at 2:03 pm Reason: corrected the spelling of AACoRN
Old May 30, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by donotblink
I had an interesting experience last night I thought might be useful to others on here. I found an itinerary I was interested in that appeared to be available at a good price on AA.com. I got through to the final booking screen several times but kept getting the “Choose a different flight or fare” error on the website.

I ringed up the Executive Platinum line and told them about it; they told me that I needed to talk to web services and transferred me over. I told the web services person my dates/flights and how I searched for them on AA.com. She looked into it and told me that sometimes there is a discrepancy in our systems and we can’t offer you that fare, your new fare will be (about $200 more than what I saw online) and that they could not honor the online price.

I told her that I use Sabre (really expert flyer) and validated that O inventory was available for all segments, I also read off the fare basis code and told her that I read through the fare rules and validated that the flights met the conditions of the rules. She asked me if I was a travel agent, to which I responded, no, I’m just an educated consumer. She said that there wasn’t anything she could do, I suggested that she call the tariff desk to have a Phase IV ticket issued. She put me on a surprisingly brief hold and came back to tell me that her supervisor approved an exception.

She took my payment info and told me that the Acorn system does allow overrides for inventory availability—Phase IV isn’t required accomplish this. Apparently one of my segments didn’t really have O inventory in Acorn, my ticket did get issued at the lower price with the segment that had an availability issue appearing on the PNR twice, once in Y and once in O. I went onto prefunds.aa.com to view a detailed receipt, but the Y segment doesn’t show there. The O segments do show using the O fare basis. Also, I wasn’t able to assign seats myself online, but the EXP desk was able to do it for me after the ticket got issued.

I just thought I’d post this here as a PSA of sorts, if you get this issue online, Web Services can override if they want, but you might need to be super persistent.
I really appreciate when people take the time to document this type of suggestion. Thank you.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I have experienced this directly on AA's website as well, not just Google Flights links. I am under the impression that "married segment" logic may be the problem, but I don't really understand this so can't comment. I've experienced this multiple times over the past 8 months over several days in each case; the outbound/inbound search in AA.com will present certain flights as options but will not allow booking in certain combinations. Since they keep coming up over days, I don't think it's an issue of someone grabbing the last available seat, or a temporary mismatch in available inventory. Rather I believe some kind of validation process at the end is using different criteria than the initial availability search, causing the problem.

For me, the only flights that it affected involved certain combinations of widebody domestic, e.g. A330 SFO-PHL-XXX with XXX-CLT-SFO on the return, so I was wondering if that was part of it. (I couldn't get the widebody both ways).
Old May 30, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fanger
I have experienced this directly on AA's website as well, not just Google Flights links. I am under the impression that "married segment" logic may be the problem, but I don't really understand this so can't comment. I've experienced this multiple times over the past 8 months over several days in each case; the outbound/inbound search in AA.com will present certain flights as options but will not allow booking in certain combinations. Since they keep coming up over days, I don't think it's an issue of someone grabbing the last available seat, or a temporary mismatch in available inventory. Rather I believe some kind of validation process at the end is using different criteria than the initial availability search, causing the problem.

For me, the only flights that it affected involved certain combinations of widebody domestic, e.g. A330 SFO-PHL-XXX with XXX-CLT-SFO on the return, so I was wondering if that was part of it. (I couldn't get the widebody both ways).
It happens to me always with connections. I'm going to assume exceptions to give the old fare from AA are rare. A few times I've gotten around it by booking 2 one ways.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It happens to me always with connections. I'm going to assume exceptions to give the old fare from AA are rare. A few times I've gotten around it by booking 2 one ways.
In my case both the successful and unsuccessful bookings had connections often through the same airports; the only pattern i could discern is that I could not combine legs that included both transcon widebodies.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Wanted to post another update, I just got another two tickets issued this week via phone when aa.com wouldn't let me buy a fare it was displaying.

I spent 52 minutes on the phone the first time talking to an agent and her supervisor in web services, they seemed to suggest that they could do the override, but after I was on hold for a bit, they came back with multiple excuses for why they couldn't--that the multi-city tool isn't supposed to be used for connecting flights, that inventory is phantom, that they don't have a tool that will let them do this, etc. I hung up and called again and found an agent that was willing to do the override for me--pro tip, even though the agent was very competent and willing to help me out, this was also a long call--31 minutes. This agent told me AACoRN wouldn't let her do it herself, so she built a PNR using Y inventory and put me on hold to have the Tariff desk fix it. The ticket got issued within minutes of hanging up. I don't think the agent got my e-mail address correct as I never got an e-mailed receipt, but I can see on AA.com that the ticket was issued and use the receipt printing tool from there. As an added bonus, there was C inventory available on my flight and I was able to call into the EP desk to get a mileage upgrade cleared.

Also, this week, I was able to get someone in the Executive Platinum desk to do it for me directly, however, she had to put me on hold and reach out to "her help desk" (I assume that means Tariff) to get the PNR set up. In this instance, I was on the phone with her for about an hour, I needed to hang up to go to a meeting. I told her I couldn't wait any longer on hold, so she gave me the PNR and said I could call in later with my form of payment to get the ticket issued, which I did about 3 hours later.

By the way, I'm now making nine weekend trips to Vail next ski season, so if anyone wants to hit the slopes with a fellow flyertalker, let me know!

Last edited by donotblink; Dec 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm Reason: corrected the spelling of AACoRN
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I kept getting this for any of the web specials I try to book. I plan all other travel around them...then when I go to book the last piece of the puzzle on aa.com, it errors out. So frustrating and after 1.5 years should have been fixed by now. It is not a "fare bucket exhausted" issue because the fare has been appearing erroneously it seems for a week.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I kept getting this for any of the web specials I try to book. I plan all other travel around them...then when I go to book the last piece of the puzzle on aa.com, it errors out. So frustrating and after 1.5 years should have been fixed by now. It is not a "fare bucket exhausted" issue because the fare has been appearing erroneously it seems for a week.
Try a different web browser?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Definitely an IT glitch. For AA to know about this glitch for apparently months or more, and not fix it, is pathetic.
American has known about this problem for YEARS, not just months.

When a problem has persisted for YEARS, one has to assume that someone made a conscious decision not to fix it. Presumably, that decision was made because the "problem" generates additional revenue for AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.