Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“Choose a different flight or fare“ message on AA site

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Choose a different flight or fare“ message on AA site

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by zarkov505
American has known about this problem for YEARS, not just months.
Since I wrote my comment in July 2018, um, yes, it's years.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:24 pm

Is there any fix to this issue? I'm getting the alert on a Transpacific flight.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveler202
Is there any fix to this issue? I'm getting the alert on a Transpacific flight.
Partner award flight? If so the space is probably not actually there.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Partner award flight? If so the space is probably not actually there.
yep it is. It show up day after day, and is still there.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveler202
yep it is. It show up day after day, and is still there.
Just because it shows up on the website doesn't mean that the space is there... aka "phantom availability".

Check the AS site (or some other OW parter) to see if it's really there. Or call and ask an agent (using the AS website is faster)
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just because it shows up on the website doesn't mean that the space is there... aka "phantom availability".

Check the AS site (or some other OW parter) to see if it's really there. Or call and ask an agent (using the AS website is faster)
This doesn't work for revenue tickets, unfortunately.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This doesn't work for revenue tickets, unfortunately.
Right, that's why I asked if it was a partner award ticket first.

This is a common problem with partner award inventory. I've seen it a lot with Malaysian and a bit with JL. I generally search for OW partner awards using the AS calendar search, note flight numbers, and then try to put it together on the AA website. If that doesn't work, an EXP desk agent can usually do it.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I'm having this problem on AA trying to book a QR award. AA won't let me book my desired Flight 1 connecting to Flight 2, despite it showing as available on AA website. Get "We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.".

If I try to book Flight 1 -> Flight 3, or Flight 4 - Flight 2, both of those work i.e. all the individual flights are bookable but AA's website is not allowing booking of certain combinations for no obvious reason (despite the AA site showing the combinations as available).

I guess I need to phone to book.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I'm having this problem on AA trying to book a QR award. AA won't let me book my desired Flight 1 connecting to Flight 2, despite it showing as available on AA website. Get "We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.".

If I try to book Flight 1 -> Flight 3, or Flight 4 - Flight 2, both of those work i.e. all the individual flights are bookable but AA's website is not allowing booking of certain combinations for no obvious reason (despite the AA site showing the combinations as available).

I guess I need to phone to book.
You need to search for origin to destination to be sure that it is available. A valid reason for it not to work is married segment availability - just because the 1st flight is available standalone and flight 2 is available standalone, it does not meam that flights 1 and 2 are available for a through booking. Phoning and trying to book will confirm it since if it is a married segment issue, the agant will be unable to book it either
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You need to search for origin to destination to be sure that it is available. A valid reason for it not to work is married segment availability - just because the 1st flight is available standalone and flight 2 is available standalone, it does not meam that flights 1 and 2 are available for a through booking. Phoning and trying to book will confirm it since if it is a married segment issue, the agant will be unable to book it either
I'm not convinced this is married segments. I'm searching only the same origin and destination. To be clear the specific example is:

I search AUH-BKK and I get 2 options for AUH-DOH-KUL-BKK : One is departing at 1:50am and the other at 11:55am, both from AUH. The DOH-KUL-BKK segments are the exact same for both options. AA shows both as available but errors on the 1:50am departure and lets me book the 11:55am departure. If this was married segments, why would one be bookable and not the other? Except maybe the longer connection times?

I also see an option for AUH-DOH-BKK - departing AUH on the same 1:50am flight that errors out above, on the same date. AA allows me to book this - so its not a case of the 1.50am award space being phantom availability. (I don't want to fly DOH-BKK direct because it's not qsuites).

Last edited by Enigma368; Apr 27, 2023 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 27, 2023, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I see this all the time when trying to book transpac flights using miles. I have flexibility on when I can travel, so I religiously check once or twice a day for the different routings and dates until something can be ticketed. Just landed a BOS-SFO-HND flight in J for 60K miles on B6 and JL when the "regular" availability is for 450K, which is an insult.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm not convinced this is married segments. I'm searching only the same origin and destination. To be clear the specific example is:

I search AUH-BKK and I get 2 options for AUH-DOH-KUL-BKK : One is departing at 1:50am and the other at 11:55am, both from AUH. The DOH-KUL-BKK segments are the exact same for both options. AA shows both as available but errors on the 1:50am departure and lets me book the 11:55am departure. If this was married segments, why would one be bookable and not the other? Except maybe the longer connection times?

I also see an option for AUH-DOH-BKK - departing AUH on the same 1:50am flight that errors out above, on the same date. AA allows me to book this - so its not a case of the 1.50am award space being phantom availability. (I don't want to fly DOH-BKK direct because it's not qsuites).
The 1:50 AM AUH-DOH flight inventory probably doesn't exist anymore.

I had the same issue booking CMB-DOH-IAH for 2 people. Tons of options, but they all relied on a single DOH-IAH seat in inventory. Once I snagged one ticket, everything else continued to show up as available, but errored out.

Last edited by Antarius; Apr 28, 2023 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This one I am not surprised is not being offered by AA. There are routing rules and no QR fare allows that routing for AUH-BKK - I would suggest phoning and trying to book - I suspect that if availability is there that AA will price as 2 awards, though you may be ok

Also in regards to potential married segments, there is a big diffference - the issue could be the AUH-DOH-KUL flights rather than the DOH-KUL-BKK flights ; the AUH-DOH flight is different
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This one I am not surprised is not being offered by AA. There are routing rules and no QR fare allows that routing for AUH-BKK - I would suggest phoning and trying to book - I suspect that if availability is there that AA will price as 2 awards, though you may be ok Also in regards to potential married segments, there is a big diffference - the issue could be the AUH-DOH-KUL flights rather than the DOH-KUL-BKK flights ; the AUH-DOH flight is different
Well just to be clear - I have now booked online AUH-BKK on Qatar with AA miles. The problem is that there were two options returned in the search and only one was bookable. Both same routings(via DOH and KUL - last leg with MH), just different times. Anyway I gave up trying to book my preferred departure time and booked the one that was working. It is now ticketed.

TLDR; idk what's going on but it would be nice to only see search results that were bookable rather than search results where you have to click through a few screens to see if it can actually be booked.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
TLDR; idk what's going on but it would be nice to only see search results that were bookable rather than search results where you have to click through a few screens to see if it can actually be booked.
Would be nice, but AA's IT systems are rubbish.

Phantom inventory lingering after it's gone has been an issue for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.