Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ear bud two prong adaptor needed on 787-8 / 788?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,

We will be flying to Dublin out of ORD on a 787-800 in Business. I under stand they pick up their head sets about a hour before landing. If we are watching a movie, will we need a adaptor to pug in our own ear buds with a regular one pin jack?

Thanks. This will be our first time on a 787.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
It "works" without an adapter. AA uses a 3 prong connection with the headsets, though one prong is for power. If you plug your ear bud without adapter into one of the prongs directly, you will get the left or right channel. If you use a two prong adapter, you can get both channels. The FA may be able to give you the 2 prong adapter (I've been proactively offered it on one flight), but it's probably not worth the effort.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The 788 for AA has a single prong slot for headphones. No adaptor is needed.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
The 788 for AA has a single prong slot for headphones. No adaptor is needed.
Can confirm. Mrs. dantheflyingman and I just flew ORD-LHR and FCO-ORD in J on the 788. There will be two plugs for headphones (down near your knee). One is the aforementioned triple plug for the AA-distributed headphones. The other is a single plug for normal headphones.

Do be sure to grab the headphone covers out of your amenity kit, though - for comfort and cleanliness!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
How about on the 772 with the super diamond seats?

Does that have a single plug where I can plug in my earbuds?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

No single plug on the 772 with super diamond seats. Just flew it last week.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:13 pm

Always a good idea to have a couple two-prong adapters in your carry-on, just in case. You can get a 3 pack off amazon for about $6. I keep some in my backpack all the time, just to be safe.
asf-07 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

It has a 3 prong plug, but when I flew on it last week, I was able to get audio out of both ears by plugging it into one of the 3 prongs (which I was surprised by).

I agree with thunderlounge - worth getting a 2 pronger just in case.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Always a good idea to have a couple two-prong adapters in your carry-on, just in case. You can get a 3 pack off amazon for about $6. I keep some in my backpack all the time, just to be safe.
Thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered to use with my QC20's (in case I need the adapter)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:26 am

Whatever you keep your bose in, throw a couple in there or you carry-on you put them in. Helps immensely. I also keep spare phone/tablet cords and chargers as well as a small bottle of excedrin migraine.
talkandfly likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
FYI, when the picked up my headphones, I was offered ear buds. I preferred to use my own Bose for the last 40 minutes (with the adapter, 789), but if you don't want to pack yours on a trip for two short periods of time taking the ones from the FA are another option.
dm6214 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
It has a 3 prong plug, but when I flew on it last week, I was able to get audio out of both ears by plugging it into one of the 3 prongs (which I was surprised by).
But was it stereo, or the same thing in both ears?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dm6214
We will be flying to Dublin out of ORD on a 787-800 in Business. I under stand they pick up their head sets about a hour before landing. If we are watching a movie, will we need a adaptor to pug in our own ear buds with a regular one pin jack?

Thanks. This will be our first time on a 787.
Go to the Bose store, or Amazon, and buy an airline audio adapter. I bought the Bose one because I was near the outlet, and at the time the Amazon ones didn't have good reviews. Either way, then you are covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.