Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hidden city ticket users busted! (detected at gate - no action taken)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden city ticket users busted! (detected at gate - no action taken)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by infinite97
huh? I call the EXP line after I take the segment I want.

What would they be repricing?
They would reprice the ticket to reflect what you actually FLEW.

If the historical fare for AAA-BBB-CCC is $700 and AAA-BBB is $1500, they would charge you $800.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
They would reprice the ticket to reflect what you actually FLEW.

If the historical fare for AAA-BBB-CCC is $700 and AAA-BBB is $1500, they would charge you $800.
This definitely isn't the normal practice. I think I've read around here about some guy once who got caught doing egregious hidden-city ticketing.

But calling up at BBB to say "hey, can you cancel my CCC" = nbd.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
This definitely isn't the normal practice. I think I've read around here about some guy once who got caught doing egregious hidden-city ticketing.

But calling up at BBB to say "hey, can you cancel my CCC" = nbd.
I posted the theoretical, not the practical. I agree it is hardly ever done, though a provision is in almost all airlines' CoC. Perhaps I should have used the word 'could' instead.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by rivlinm
On my layover in ORD I was sitting at my gate as they closed out the MSY flight. With 20 min till departure they made calls for the final three pax. One woke up and made the walk of shame. The other two never arrived.

​​
I fail to see how this passenger did any sort of walk of shame. People fall asleep at gate areas all the time. No shame involved at all.

May happen to you one day!
Grog likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:39 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by davie355
The address in my AA account is not where I actually live.
Ditto. It's a bit disturbing that a gate agent would look up my home address (knowing that I'm away from home on a trip). It's even more disturbing that this info would be broadcast to people in an airport. Which is exactly precisely why my mailing address is _never_ anywhere near where I actually live (for over 25 years now).
Grog likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1) In #1 , it was noted they had "no bags", flying without checked bags is not that odd.
(2) I'm flying from A to B to C [my final destination]; A to B was cancelled, so they route me A to D to C--but the routing I flew is cheaper than my original routing does AA give me a refund for the difference in price? If AA wants to reprice for hidden city violations they should credit in my scenario.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
(2) I'm flying from A to B to C [my final destination]; A to B was cancelled, so they route me A to D to C--but the routing I flew is cheaper than my original routing does AA give me a refund for the difference in price? If AA wants to reprice for hidden city violations they should credit in my scenario.
No, you should not get any fare difference. That's exactly the point. You bought transportation from A to C. How AA gets you there is really not up to you. It could be via B or D or Q. But that is not what we are talking about, which is dropping a leg for the purposes of avoiding the higher fare.

Your example is also mildly illogical since, if going via D was indeed cheaper at historical prices, you would probably have chosen that in the first instance.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Ditto. It's a bit disturbing that a gate agent would look up my home address (knowing that I'm away from home on a trip). It's even more disturbing that this info would be broadcast to people in an airport. Which is exactly precisely why my mailing address is _never_ anywhere near where I actually live (for over 25 years now).
An airline employee announcing a city of two plus million as the address of another passenger is the reason your address isn't where you live? And has been that way for 25 years? Very specific reasoning.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
No, you should not get any fare difference. That's exactly the point. You bought transportation from A to C. How AA gets you there is really not up to you. It could be via B or D or Q. But that is not what we are talking about, which is dropping a leg for the purposes of avoiding the higher fare.

Your example is also mildly illogical since, if going via D was indeed cheaper at historical prices, you would probably have chosen that in the first instance.
I put the "smiley" at the end. [But on the day I was flying the fare could have been cheaper].
As others have noted, it is unlikely that AA will send the pax a bill...for NOT flying.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
An airline employee announcing a city of two plus million as the address of another passenger is the reason your address isn't where you live? And has been that way for 25 years? Very specific reasoning.
Agent had to look at the whole address in order to deduce that they live "in Chicago". It should be on a "need to know" basis. Why does a gate agent need to know anyone's home address?

Having a P.O. Box (or UPS Store, etc.) address is a standard precaution for folks who travel a lot. The temptation for folks to drop by and visit while you're out of town is simply too large. Having an opaque address is cheap insurance against such events.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
I put the "smiley" at the end.
I missed that
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Not if they really wanted a hidden city ticket through B
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Agent had to look at the whole address in order to deduce that they live "in Chicago". It should be on a "need to know" basis. Why does a gate agent need to know anyone's home address?

Having a P.O. Box (or UPS Store, etc.) address is a standard precaution for folks who travel a lot. The temptation for folks to drop by and visit while you're out of town is simply too large. Having an opaque address is cheap insurance against such events.
I suppose, though I'm thinking the risk is vanishingly small. Do you think there's a Crook's Hotline that people call to report in that you're in London when your address is Chicago? Do you imagine some relay of information to a person close enough to your actual house that they could get there, break in, and steal your porcelain dalmatian? Odd.
jhartvu likes this.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I say ^^ to the gate agent in this instance for being proactive in trying to figure if they should wait a bit longer for connecting pax or close the flight up.

I missed a QR flight last year (long story), the gate agent in Doha actually called my emergency contact number in the reservation back in the US (4am local time there) trying to hunt me down. That was a first!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:30 am

What's the next logical event in the series?

"Agent looked up my bank account, figured out that I didn't have the money for taxi fare to get to the airport, then closed the boarding door."

"Agent checked my blood type and online dating profile, figured out that I met some hottie in the airport, then closed the boarding door."

"Agent checked my facebook page, realized that I had just broken up with my S.O., and closed the boarding door to spare me the agony of going home to a ruined relationship."

"Agent needed to get the flight out, so agent used my credit card on file and booked me on the next available flight.".

Sometimes I wish people would just do their job, period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.