Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hidden city ticket users busted! (detected at gate - no action taken)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold

On my layover in ORD I was sitting at my gate as they closed out the MSY flight. With 20 min till departure they made calls for the final three pax. One woke up and made the walk of shame. The other two never arrived.

As the minutes ticked down to t-15 one agent looked up the two passengers and noticed they had come in from Albany hours earlier. The other agent pointed out they had an address in Chicago. Finally one agent pieced it all together and said they probably found a cheaper flight through ORD than direct to ORD and wouldn't show up. They noticed they had no bags. Busted!

The agents didn't seem mad. In fact they seemed more impressed that someone was smart enough to game the system like this. They closed the door on time and the flight departed.

​​
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:11 pm

i'm sure thousands of people do this every day not a big deal and i'm sure gate agents are used to this
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
They will be put in AA's interrogation room which consists of continual Aviator Red credit card announcements until offender breaks down and says "yes". Yes I'll sign up for your credit card & pay the fare on my new Aviator credit card!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rivlinm
On my layover in ORD I was sitting at my gate as they closed out the MSY flight. With 20 min till departure they made calls for the final three pax. One woke up and made the walk of shame. The other two never arrived.

As the minutes ticked down to t-15 one agent looked up the two passengers and noticed they had come in from Albany hours earlier. The other agent pointed out they had an address in Chicago. Finally one agent pieced it all together and said they probably found a cheaper flight through ORD than direct to ORD and wouldn't show up. They noticed they had no bags. Busted!

The agents didn't seem mad. In fact they seemed more impressed that someone was smart enough to game the system like this. They closed the door on time and the flight departed.

​​
Why are AA agents revealing such information to other passengers?
Grog and samm like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why are AA agents revealing such information to other passengers?
I assume op was eavesdropping.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mediator

I assume op was eavesdropping.
Still no excuse for AA
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've done this, but I'm always kind enough to call the AA EXP line and tell them that my plans changed, and to please cancel my remaining leg(s).
chitink likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by infinite97
I've done this, but I'm always kind enough to call the AA EXP line and tell them that my plans changed, and to please cancel my remaining leg(s).
And AA don’t reprice the ticket? I seem to remember (maybe wrongly) reading that other airlines did that — BA perhaps — and so people don’t tell them if they’re missing a final leg.
cruisr likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
They will be put in AA's interrogation room which consists of continual Aviator Red credit card announcements until offender breaks down and says "yes". Yes I'll sign up for your credit card & pay the fare on my new Aviator credit card!
but wait.. sign up now and get two cards just pay processing and handling
kubrick likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:01 pm

The address in my AA account is not where I actually live.
bruceba likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
"Busted" to me suggests that the passengers were actually called out or faced some sort of consequences. Instead, the agents recognized they wouldn't show up and closed the flight on time. Thread title is a bit sensational compared to the reality.

​​​​
ralphs, samm, pppfrank and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by salut0

And AA don’t reprice the ticket? I seem to remember (maybe wrongly) reading that other airlines did that — BA perhaps — and so people don’t tell them if they’re missing a final leg.
huh? I call the EXP line after I take the segment I want.

What would they be repricing?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by rjw242
"Busted" to me suggests that the passengers were actually called out or faced some sort of consequences.
​​​​
Over at UA there's a couple of posters that have been sent significant bills for gaming the system. Only a matter of time until AA goes after the lost revenue, too.

Here's an example where a UA flyer was sent a bill for $4,776.10 for "point beyond ticketing" on 12 different occasions:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912152-post224.html
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by salut0

BA has repriced hidden city tickets issued by TAs in the past, not those bought directly from the airline. Search for 'Propeller Travel'
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Definitely a misleading click-baity thread title. No one was busted here. At most, the GAs may have been able to make a note on their account if they included their FF#.
Grog, DenverBrian and LovePrunes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.