Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One way vs RT pricing: when did AA increase 1 way to Mexico?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

if i try to buy a one way ticket or an open jaw to mexico, i get exorbitant pricing compared to a round-trip with a saturday night stay. i dont remember this always being the case for Mexico? i know this has always been common for more traditional international destinations but is it a new thing with mexico? any workarounds?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Many international destinations in fact do not incur onerous one way pricing (not unusually more than a round trip); some do. Mexico has, iirc, generally been treated like the rest of North America, Caribbean and Central America. If this has changed, it has been recent - and possibly other international destinations are affected as well?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What are you trying to do, specifically. Airport pairs, please.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ethang801
if i try to buy a one way ticket or an open jaw to mexico, i get exorbitant pricing compared to a round-trip with a saturday night stay. i dont remember this always being the case for Mexico? i know this has always been common for more traditional international destinations but is it a new thing with mexico? any workarounds?
Lack of competition? Did you check the fares on other carriers between the same city pairs?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this be a response to the SunCountry fiasco? Let's gouge the stranded travelers.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could this be a response to the SunCountry fiasco? Let's gouge the stranded travelers.
None of the stranded passengers were in MEX though
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
None of the stranded passengers were in MEX though
? I don't think anyone said anything about MEX.

I've noticed even domestically that sometimes there are r/t fares that can be cheaper than two o/ws, even on routes with LCC competition (though sometimes the LCC may only have 1 flight a day). Not to say that the o/w fares have skyrocketed, but they're obviously trying to encourage you to buy the r/t.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:07 am

I don't see that on typical city pairs e.g. JFK-CUN. Same as usual. So it might be specific to you city pair or date.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
It's typical if there's no LCC competition. On mexican routes southwest flies, you find one way fares are much more reasonable.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
? I don't think anyone said anything about MEX.
You are right. I read mexico as Mexico City.

My bad.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doubt it. Weather canceled the last Sun Country's last flights of the season to some places.
I assume, Sun Country has other plans for the equipment and personnel after season has ended to certain destinations.
Given that, I understand why they did not go back to pick up people who were left there after the Sun Country schedule for those locations had ended for the season.
NO, I did not say I would have liked it, just that I understand it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I hope the OP @ethang801 returns to share the routing with us.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 17, 2018 at 11:55 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
Doubt it. Weather canceled the last Sun Country's last flights of the season to some places.
I assume, Sun Country has other plans for the equipment and personnel after season has ended to certain destinations.
Given that, I understand why they did not go back to pick up people who were left there after the Sun Country schedule for those locations had ended for the season.
NO, I did not say I would have liked it, just that I understand it.
You're understanding but you don't seem to understand that my post is about the purported sharp increase in AA one way fares from Mexico to the USA. Regardless of SunCountry's reasons for its behavior, there are a bunch of people in Mexico needing to get home and generally willing (or forced) to pay almost any price for available seats on flights. Basically, I gave a specific reason why the demand for such flights suddenly increased as a potential explanation for the observed price increase.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're understanding but you don't seem to understand that my post is about the purported sharp increase in AA one way fares from Mexico to the USA. Regardless of SunCountry's reasons for its behavior, there are a bunch of people in Mexico needing to get home and generally willing (or forced) to pay almost any price for available seats on flights. Basically, I gave a specific reason why the demand for such flights suddenly increased as a potential explanation for the observed price increase.
That might change fares for a few days, but not far in advance.
Of course, since the OP did not give the details, I don't know what time period or routes he is searching, but I assume he wasn't talking about traveling within a few days, due to being stranded last weekend.
(Sun Country has since agreed to assist with the charges for these people to finish heir trips)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
When I booked my flights in January, 1 ways priced out same as roundtrip.

When I booked my flight in mid march, my flights were much more expensive oneway versus roundtrip, I was surprised. So, it happened sometime between 2nd week of January and Mid-march. I priced out of MEX and CUN to be sure, from JFK. I would've thought prices would go down more given the large # of volaris/interjet nonstop flights at 250 RT. But no, $400+ routing through CLT still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.