Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Full fare J ticket, booked into Y bucket for 2 segments

Old Apr 16, 18, 9:26 am
Original Poster

My travel agent failed to push a change thru to booking on Saturday and so I woke up sunday morning with no confirmed seat to Argentina. After some back and forth with the TA and AA, I was booked into J, charged an enormous upfare and given the last seat in business class for the international segment. It’s life, not my money and these things will ultimately get worked out when my company does a montly review with the TA. But the big issue is this. There was no front cabin space on two domestic segments so I was downgraded and booked into the Y bucket and seated in coach. This is what my questions are about.

When I was on the phone with The TA and AA, I was told that I would get first priority for any front cabin seat on those domestic segments because I had a ticket that unequivocally allowed me to be in that cabin. When I arrived at the airport, I was told nope, I was number 2 on the sticker upgrade list. I briefly chatted about the fact that the AA agent had told me I should NOT be coded for complimentary upgrade but instead wailisted for F and that I should clear before any complimentary upgrades. The gate agents said they didnt have time to look but that “nobody would get an upgrade” so i was moot. Of course the guy who is number 1 on the list did eventually clear so it wasnt moot and at this point I am frustrated. I suspect the same thing will happen on my next flight, it ahows J1 ( again I am booked on a full fare J ticket) but I am not seeing movement to the front cabin (a 767 lie flat, so I care).

I have done this exact thing on many airlines before and been cleared from waitlist to higher cabin before any other types of upgrades. Did this just get coded incorrectly or something!? I can’t believe I paid $7k for this ticket and I’m sitting in coach next to some guy w 48” shoulders for 2 fairly long segments ;-)
Old Apr 16, 18, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
Of course the guy who is number 1 on the list did eventually clear
Maybe he had a J ticket, too.

You need a new travel agent.
Old Apr 16, 18, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Maybe he had a J ticket, too.

Nope, he was eco ticket and EXP w sticker upgrade, they told me as much. So was I supposed “coded” differently? That was the language the AA rep said on the phone, but what i guess didmt happen.

I hear you on the TA. Actual TA was AMEX Biz Travel after hours line (emergency arose in middle of the night and our corp TA sends us to AMEX). Their service level has dropped precipitously over the last few years. Most unprofessional thing any TA has done, hard to believe a big shop like AMEX could do this...
Old Apr 16, 18, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
It is not a "sticker upgrade list" just an "upgrade list"
You did not have a sticker upgrade. You had a J ticket. If this was a FULL J ticket for all segments, you should be ahead of "sticker" upgrades
It sounds like the gate agent did something incorrectly
Old Apr 16, 18, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
And AA needs new gate agents.

I believe the correct coding is "DSR" (for "desires F") for a pax with a premium cabin ticket.
But I've had agents say they don't know what that means.
OP might have better luck at an Admiral's club.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 16, 18, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I think this is worth writing a note to AA.
Old Apr 16, 18, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I’ll go to the AC in Dallas and ask them to put DSR in. I am #1 on the list and fare buckets show J1. What a disaster this trip is... I think I have a shake-a-bed on MIA-DFW to look forward to and meetings that start the moment I land, so had been hoping to nap a bit on the 763 segment from DFW-MIA.

”So you’re sayin’ there’s a chance!?!”
Edited to add:
Bummer, arrived in DFW and the agent in the AC was super helpful but unless someone misconnects I wont be up front. But they did confirm it hadnt been coded correctly, it needs to be DSR as noted above. They were apologetic and said i should ask customer service for J class EQMs (3x vs 1.5x for Y) as well as some compensation for the error by the gate agent in originating outstation who miscoded this.Also, when coded correctly, you wont even show up on the app sticker upgrade list. The DSR process is separate from that. I was shown that I was #1 on the DSR list but someone else is now #1 on the sticker list. BTW, there are like 10 of us on the DSR list, but I am #1 for whatever reason.
Edited to add: something odd happened and I did in fact get the last seat in biz as i walked up to the gate. Nice, i really needed a nap and some room to get work done on this next flight. Odd thing is this was the J1 seat that disappeared a few hours ago. Someone bought and cancelled in a three hour window?? Sounds strange. Anyway, thanks for the help folks, good to know next time i have this happen w AA, i will be more informed!
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by stephem; Apr 16, 18 at 1:10 pm
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:33 pm

Unacceptable for such an expensive ticket... They should've proactively re-ticketed you once J1 opened up.

Also, I think it could have been beneficial to set an alert on ExpertFlyer (if you have a subscription) to when J opens up on any of the Y legs. Once (or if) alerted, I believe you could've called in and had them re-ticket, up to an hour before departure, I believe?
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
In the 3 hour time period they could have canceled it or taken an earlier or later flight.
Old Apr 16, 18, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gino Troian View Post
Unacceptable for such an expensive ticket... They should've proactively re-ticketed you once J1 opened up.

Also, I think it could have been beneficial to set an alert on ExpertFlyer (if you have a subscription) to when J opens up on any of the Y legs. Once (or if) alerted, I believe you could've called in and had them re-ticket, up to an hour before departure, I believe?
Exactly.
1) OP probably would have been able to actually waitlist for the J inventory. IME those often don’t clear automatically, but it couldn’t hurt.
2) If OP was on a full J ticket, which seems to have been the case from the original post, then when that flight was showing J1, he should have been able to clear directly into first/business (though he might have needed the travel agent to do so). Shouldn’t have had to go on a DSR/standby list.
Old Apr 16, 18, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

One more data point, I called AA shortly after the ticket issued on Sunday to ask if they could move me to J, as EF then showed J1. They said nope, I had to deal w my TA, so i called AMEX afterhours back and by the time they picked up (over an hour) it was back to J0 for both flights where i was in Y. Honestly I had other crap to deal with, packing etc so I resigned myself to dealing with it at the airport. Clearly the first airport aagent didnt know what they were doing and so i missed the one seat on the first segment that I was entitled to. Kudos to the DFW Flagship agents who helped fix this. I am much wiser about many things now as well, so all good on that front!
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:52 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Odd thing is this was the J1 seat that disappeared a few hours ago. Someone bought and cancelled in a three hour window?? Sounds strange.
Many possible explanations. Could have been a new misconnect, or a no-show.
Old Apr 17, 18, 7:45 am

...They said nope, I had to deal w my TA...
One of two reasons why I stopped dealing with travel agents years ago... The other being a TA booking me to return in the incorrect month, not discovered until I showed up for an international flight one month early.
Old Apr 17, 18, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShortDog View Post
One of two reasons why I stopped dealing with travel agents years ago... The other being a TA booking me to return in the incorrect month, not discovered until I showed up for an international flight one month early.
The joys of corporate travel. We get 50% or more off full fare tickets from certain carriers, so I have no choice but to use either our inhouse agent or AMEX after hours when i need to book at the last minute like this. Of course when i book in advance i can often find better discount biz fares that have an acceptable refund fee and then just work directly with the EXP line to make changes. But last minute, my hands are tied as only those two entities can issue tickets with my corp discount. Once a segment is flown, the carrier can often make changes on the corp discount fare if the same fare bucket is available, that is just an even exchange as opposed to re-faring. But if the D bucket opens on the return and i want to claw some savings back be rebooking from J down into D, i need to go back to the corp TA or AMeX.

Back in the day, AMeX biz travel was amazing, now I can tell by accents they have outsourced to people who may speak English reasonably well but they know nothing about corp exec travel, let alone how to even issue tickets with the 24 hour window ;-)
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most big companies require employees to book all travel through the corporate TA. Not only for discounts, but for auditing, accounting, making sure too many employees aren't on the same flight, etc.

I do find that if you can get passed through to AA Meeting Services, they can often handle ticket changes with corporate discounts.

Search this Thread