FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Complimentary upgrade after international segment (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1904144-complimentary-upgrade-after-international-segment.html)

razzaba Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Complimentary upgrade after international segment

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else, as I’ve noticed it three separate times this year and it seems like, now that I think about it, similar things happened last year. Here is the situation...

I am an Executive Platinum and thus have complimentary domestic upgrades, of course. I’ve taken three round trips to Asia this year. On all three return trips, the domestic segments did not clear for an upgrade (two DFW-RDU, one LAX-CLT). For the year, these are the only three domestic segments I have had that have not upgraded. My spend is $40k+ so generally I am usually at or near the very top of the list.

On Friday, upon arriving at the Flagship Lounge at LAX (previous segment was CX HKG-LAX in PE so not a SWU issue, though the other two trips I used SWU - once successfully, once not), I asked them to check on my upgrade. The agent told me “well that’s odd, you are not on the list.” I had noticed earlier (this was approx T-2) that my name was not on the upgrade list, but when looking at the list of segments in the itinerary it clearly showed “Requested, complimentary for Mr Razzaba”

i dont recall the first flight of the year from Asia, but do recall stopping at the Admirals Club in Dallas on the last trip and not seeing my name on the list prior to asking.

Back to LAX...The agent then added me to the list, I was #1, but 16/16 had already checked in and alas no one misconnected or no-showed.

My concern is that if I am not showing up on the list st the airport, I’m not on the list at the upgrade window or any time between then and whenever I ask at the club to be added.

Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar?

davie355 Apr 15, 2018 8:33 pm

I don't have any international experience, but after rebooking (during domestic IRROPS) I've always had to request to be added to the upgrade list, or else my name won't show up.

razzaba Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks Davie... these weren’t IRROPS situations though. Just normal itineraries and the app showed the upgrade was requested, but the actual upgrade list did not include my name.

I’ve got a trip to BKK first week of May, AA for the long haul and CX from HKG to BKK, and am going to keep an eye on this one to see if I am on the list or not.

Txolo Apr 16, 2018 6:51 am

Hello,

I´m OW Emerald travelling Europe-USA on Premium Economy, last leg is PHL-MIA (shows as Y), would be any chance with that (seems full fare Economy) to ask to be on the UPG list for the PHL-MIA on a 763 aircraft? I noted that years ago AA will perform some complimentary UPG to some FF (Not AAdvantage) with Emerald status... Still that in place?

rens Apr 16, 2018 10:26 am

yes. Exact situation has happened to me twice this year. Never able to track down what happened. Extremely frustrating when you do everything right. would otherwise get the upgrade, and these indefinable issues happen.

ComplexAnalysis Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am

This has happened to me once when I cleared all but the last domestic leg on a USA->LAX->SYD-> LAX->USA trip. Figured that 1st class was just booked full, but it was an upgrade that felt weird to miss.

fotographer Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am

This has happened to my on a trip this year, Since I booked the trip on BA (in J) BA at that time could not confirm on leg (DFW-ATL) at booking.
I called AA had them had me to the upgrade list.
Get to DFW, notice I am not on the list, called AA, they told me something to do with the ticket booked on BA, and it was too late to add me. (airport control I think)
(The way I found out was of course to check the AA app on my phone)

waalien Apr 16, 2018 12:24 pm

This happens to me as well, but also happens on entirely domestic itineraries. I may or may not have had a hissy fit on Twitter last week after it happened since the first leg of that flight the GA's did not process the upgrade list at all and put non-revs and standby passengers up front instead.

FlyingEgghead Apr 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Txolo (Post 29645706)
Hello,

I´m OW Emerald travelling Europe-USA on Premium Economy, last leg is PHL-MIA (shows as Y), would be any chance with that (seems full fare Economy) to ask to be on the UPG list for the PHL-MIA on a 763 aircraft? I noted that years ago AA will perform some complimentary UPG to some FF (Not AAdvantage) with Emerald status... Still that in place?

If you have no AA status, then no complimentary upgrade even from full-fare Y, as far as I know. You can request an upgrade on PHL-MIA for 5000 AA miles with no co-pay. If there is no C available to clear, you will be on the list below all AA elites.

milesandmoremiles Apr 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by razzaba (Post 29644598)
Just curious if this has happened to anyone else, as I’ve noticed it three separate times this year and it seems like, now that I think about it, similar things happened last year. Here is the situation...

I am an Executive Platinum and thus have complimentary domestic upgrades, of course. I’ve taken three round trips to Asia this year. On all three return trips, the domestic segments did not clear for an upgrade (two DFW-RDU, one LAX-CLT). For the year, these are the only three domestic segments I have had that have not upgraded. My spend is $40k+ so generally I am usually at or near the very top of the list.

On Friday, upon arriving at the Flagship Lounge at LAX (previous segment was CX HKG-LAX in PE so not a SWU issue, though the other two trips I used SWU - once successfully, once not), I asked them to check on my upgrade. The agent told me “well that’s odd, you are not on the list.” I had noticed earlier (this was approx T-2) that my name was not on the upgrade list, but when looking at the list of segments in the itinerary it clearly showed “Requested, complimentary for Mr Razzaba”

i dont recall the first flight of the year from Asia, but do recall stopping at the Admirals Club in Dallas on the last trip and not seeing my name on the list prior to asking.

Back to LAX...The agent then added me to the list, I was #1, but 16/16 had already checked in and alas no one misconnected or no-showed.

My concern is that if I am not showing up on the list st the airport, I’m not on the list at the upgrade window or any time between then and whenever I ask at the club to be added.

What you experienced is not uncommon if your upgrade didn't clear in advance and your first flight on an itinerary is not on AA.

When your upgrade hasn't cleared and you check in with American (be it online, app or at a kiosk), the system is programmed to automatically place you on the upgrade list. When checking with with AA via an agent, they are supposed to key in the functions to have you added to the list.

However if you are checking in with an airline other than AA, that airline will check you in for the connecting flights on AA but their systems just check you in and have no way of adding you to the AA upgrade list. An AA agent at an airport would have to manually add you to the list.

I doubt you wrongly missed out on any upgrades especially since the reservations show that the upgrades were requested. But just remember those upgrade requests stop "processing" at the 3 1/2 prior to departure mark when the processing is then left to the airport off of the airport list.

777lover Apr 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Since you flew on CX, CX probably issued your BPs. Could it have been that when u checkin with CX that AA dos not move you to the upgrade list for your US connecting segment?

Originally Posted by razzaba (Post 29644598)

iadisgreat Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover (Post 29648237)
Since you flew on CX, CX probably issued your BPs. Could it have been that when u checkin with CX that AA dos not move you to the upgrade list for your US connecting segment?

I'm sure this is all it is. CX wouldn't know or care to add him to the airport list (if they even can). Going to a kiosk at your airport of entry and rechecking in would have some solved the problem.

razzaba Apr 18, 2018 5:18 am

Yes I wondered about this, but while in Hong Kong I checked in on the AA app to get my mobile boarding pass because I did not get a paper one in KUL. Not sure, but still a bit odd.

I’ll definitely continue to monitor my flights to BKK in early May to see if there are any issues.