Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG & PEK LAX tech stop - no Russia overflight Apr 2018 - OVER)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Soon after the 13 April 2018 allied France - United Kingdom - USA missile strike against Syria chemical facilities, AA ceased routing flights between DFW and HKK / PEK over Russian airspace, requiring a technical stop at LAX and adding ~4 hours to flight times.

This is now over and flights are again flying between DFW and HKG or PEK nonstop as of Tuesday, 17 April 2018, according to the Reuters story quoted in part below, posted by lobo411.

U.S. trade group Airlines for America said on Tuesday that it had been told by the U.S. State Department that a deal had been reached with Russia to allow U.S. airlines to fly in Russian airspace.

“We have received confirmation from the State Department that overflight approvals have been extended through the schedule season, and carriers are continuing to conduct normal operations through Russian airspace,” Airlines for America said in a statement. Link
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG & PEK LAX tech stop - no Russia overflight Apr 2018 - OVER)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The article headline has been changed to express that this is a past-tense event:

American Airlines Redirected Flights After Syria Strike

... yet, the text in the story does not make that change. My question is: Are the reroutings indeed in the past-tense and the FT portal is not keeping up with the story?

Sure. As a writer, I know that article headlines are often expressed in present tense:

Mayor Dedicates New Activities Center

Pair Robs Bank in Dramatic Heist
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I got a PEK-DFW flight this Sunday. We'll see if it happens again.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:23 pm

Should be fine:

4/17/18
U.S. trade group Airlines for America said on Tuesday that it had been told by the U.S. State Department that a deal had been reached with Russia to allow U.S. airlines to fly in Russian airspace.

“We have received confirmation from the State Department that overflight approvals have been extended through the schedule season, and carriers are continuing to conduct normal operations through Russian airspace,” Airlines for America said in a statement.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1HO3E8
JDiver and SJOGuy like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks, lobo411. I'm flying to China next week. Good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.