Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG & PEK LAX tech stop - no Russia overflight Apr 2018 - OVER)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Soon after the 13 April 2018 allied France - United Kingdom - USA missile strike against Syria chemical facilities, AA ceased routing flights between DFW and HKK / PEK over Russian airspace, requiring a technical stop at LAX and adding ~4 hours to flight times.

This is now over and flights are again flying between DFW and HKG or PEK nonstop as of Tuesday, 17 April 2018, according to the Reuters story quoted in part below, posted by lobo411.

U.S. trade group Airlines for America said on Tuesday that it had been told by the U.S. State Department that a deal had been reached with Russia to allow U.S. airlines to fly in Russian airspace.

“We have received confirmation from the State Department that overflight approvals have been extended through the schedule season, and carriers are continuing to conduct normal operations through Russian airspace,” Airlines for America said in a statement. Link
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG & PEK LAX tech stop - no Russia overflight Apr 2018 - OVER)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Just got off the phone with AA. She flat out told me it's in regards to the Syria situation.
Of course. Russia is basically snit-showing over the missiles attack yesterday, and that’s the cause of no Russia overflight - whether Russia is prohibiting US airline overflights or US airlines are taking precautions. We won’t discuss here what belongs in OMNI/PR; the questions are the AA response (see above) and how long this disruption will last.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course. Russia is basically snit-showing over the missiles attack yesterday, and that’s the cause of no Russia overflight - whether Russia is prohibiting US airline overflights or US airlines are taking precautions. We won’t discuss here what belongs in OMNI/PR; the questions are the AA response (see above) and how long this disruption will last.

I've spoken to three agents and have gotten three different responses. It's obvious a fluid situation. Looks like AA 263 tomorrow will be DFW>SEA>PEK for now. Today was probably a mess for those on the flight.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:19 pm

I am flying DFW-HKG so will have to make the technical stop in LAX. Will they allow us to get off the plane at LAX to stretch legs, get food, etc.?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Talking

Originally Posted by jb2382
I am flying DFW-HKG so will have to make the technical stop in LAX. Will they allow us to get off the plane at LAX?
I want the segment and the miles
JDiver and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What I don't get is why AA is avoiding Russian airspace while UA is not. In fact, UA895 is overflying Siberia en route to HKG as I type this. Presumably AA and UA are privy to the same set of facts, so it's curious that there's a drastically different response here. Especially given the additional time and money AA incurs with a tech stop.

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I want the segment and the miles
Ha! Good luck.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by swingaling
What I don't get is why AA is avoiding Russian airspace while UA is not. In fact, UA895 is overflying Siberia en route to HKG as I type this. Presumably AA and UA are privy to the same set of facts, so it's curious that there's a drastically different response here. Especially given the additional time and money AA incurs with a tech stop.
- Perhaps, UA did not consider a possibility of Russia closing its airspace while the plane is already in flight? Last time when flying from DFW and entering Siberia we still had about 7+ hrs to go to HKG through Mongolia and China.
A more trivial explanation would be a cargo pickup on the way to HKG or PEK - perhaps, AA is also trying to make some additional money.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
In an internal memorandum sent to pilots on Saturday that was seen by CNBC, the airline warned that some flights into Asia could be rerouted, as relations between Moscow and Washington appear to worsen because of the U.S.-led military intervention in Syria.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/14/russ...a-flights.html

Last edited by controller1; Apr 14, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: EXPLT
Russian overflight permits are flight-specific but are usually granted for 6 months (for seasonal scheduled flights). As Russia has already condemned the US for Syria attacks, it is very possible that Russia has decided to pull the overfly permission for some US flights. AA’s PEK and HKG flight’s may hv been some that have been temporarily rescinded and it may hv been pure coincidence that this was reported here. DL and UA have more city pairs that could potentially fly over Russia. They too may hv had some flights pulled fm Russia yet no one had reported them (yet).

I really doubt AA would decide to avoid Russia in lieu of recent events. There is nothing unsafe about flying over Russia..esp the regions AA uses. It is just so unfortunate that these political issues spill over to other areas like disrupting commercial flights. Sadly there is little the airlines can do in these cases except to flight plan to avoid said airspace. The excess cost in fuel , time, and disruption to the flight schedule that impacts the bottom line may certainly take its toll.

Rest assured AA is doing all it can to resolve this. But these decisions are so high up the chain in Russia that fixing it is not easy ..assuming the root cause is as I mentioned earlier
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:49 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'm sure it's a "proportional response to Trump's heinous act," in Putin's view. "The strike was intended to deter Trump from using Tomahawks again".
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Not too shocking an agent would make something up. Its pure coincidence.
Huh? It’s virtually certain that this is related to the Syria situation, IMO. What’s not certain is what about the Syria situation. We don’t know if Russia actually forbade AA from overflying Russia, if AA is nervous that Russia will forbid AA from overflying Russia once a plane is in flight, or if they’re being very cautious about a missile strike (international or not).

Originally Posted by swingaling
What I don't get is why AA is avoiding Russian airspace while UA is not. In fact, UA895 is overflying Siberia en route to HKG as I type this. Presumably AA and UA are privy to the same set of facts, so it's curious that there's a drastically different response here.
Some airlines avoided Crimea during the Russian patriotic civilian invasion; others didn’t. They all had the same information. It worked out better for some than others.

The odds of a missile strike remain very, very low. But probably much higher than typical.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:09 am

Please let’s be clear..there is no threat ..zero threat..to safety for any flight..US registered or not..to the areas of Russia we are talking about. The FAA/US gov’t prescribes areas of the world that are unsafe for US carriers and prohibits overfly ..areas of Ukraine and Crimea and the Sanai peninsula for example. The airline’s flight dispatchers and threat security and operations all are aware of these issues ..which obviously change fm day to day..hence the dynamic nature of a daily worldwide flight operation and the qualified individuals who decipher this data.

Also ..when flight dispatchers file any flight plan thru Russia..they receive textual confirmation that the flight plan is acceptable hours b4 the flight actually departs. While not totally out of the question, it is very very rare that Russia would deny overflight for a flight that is already enroute. There is no way an airline will fuel plan a flight to avoid say Russia. While nothing is ever out of the question when it comes to say Russia or Iran..out of professional courtesy they will allow flights enroute to overfly. They will usually grant advance notice that overfly is not permitted ..now advance notice may mean a day or several hours..but bottom line is the notification will be done PRIOR to the flight departing ..so alternate plans can be arranged by the airline.

Also ..while not completely unrelated ..is the airline’s relation with the country. United for example has been overflying Russia longer than say American
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by b74l
Please let’s be clear..there is no threat ..zero threat..to safety for any flight..
I love people who have absolute certainty about everything.

http://78.media.tumblr.com/3a37a3302...w9y0o1_500.jpg

https://engtechmag.files.wordpress.c...rash-cause.jpg
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Korean 007..year 1983..totally different circumstance and era my friend ..please review the history and consequences that led to that tragedy..and make sure u also see the interview fm the pilot who shot it down as well as improper INS initialuzation in Anchorage and lack of KAL flight crew seeing the Russian fighter jets trying to establish visual contact using acft lights

MH17..air carriers had advance information to avoid that entire area. Nothing against MH but all US CARRIERS were well aware and avoided that area of Ukraine ..totally horrible and tragedy brought on by renegade ground units with no experience..but again the warning in that area was well advertised via NOTAM as well as US GOVT (BTW many foreign airlines also follow US guidance on where to avoid..so take good comfort in that)....

we are talking here about US carriers with fully qualified flight dispatch department to tackle these issues as far in advance as possible. The stuff that goes on behind the scenes will blow your mind. Tell me any similar events take place at UA or AA or DL..

Forget about DFW- HKG..those routes have zero hazard. Let’s talk about UA’s EWR- India and the issues of those countries they overfly and the amount of oversite those routes need and the amount of vigilance UA dispatchers put into those flights
JDiver and chavala like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Looks like the issue is over. AA263, while on the LAX to PEK segment, was rerouted to go through Russian airspace when it was half way across the Pacific.

None of today’s flights are showing a tech stop.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by bigsaabowski; Apr 15, 2018 at 6:00 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by b74l

Korean 007..year 1983..totally different circumstance and era my friend ..please review the history and consequences that led to that tragedy..
I'm very well acquainted with both situations. I was just having my coffee this morning and decided to do a devils-advocate post. (-;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.