Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

US passage flight system has broken (I experienced 75% AA delayed flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US passage flight system has broken (I experienced 75% AA delayed flights)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Honestly not really, not for a full year for such a massive airline. I mean you have to assume AA flies well over 2 million flights a year easily, Didn't look hard, but it seems AA has/had about 6,700 flts a day when you add in regionals, so that is only 0.00081% of flts diverted. The odds of being diverted on the whole is a little less than 1 in every 1,250 flights.

In any way, I bet this years number if even higher than that with the Nor-Easter streak etc.
Your math is off...it's .22% of flights, as shown in the graphic provided up-thread. To me, this is surprising, but that's just me personally.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The US government (DOT) publishes delay statistics. Your reporting of a 75% delay rate for AA is false. If that is false, what else is false?

It seems as though you do not like traveling to the US. You should not.
That last part got me thinking of "The Good Doctor"
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Your math is off...it's .22% of flights, as shown in the graphic provided up-thread. To me, this is surprising, but that's just me personally.
They seem to have added in the number of regional flights to the demoniator; but you'd have to add in diversions for regionals too (nominator) otherwise it's not a fair ratio. 0.22% of mainline seems surprising too. It makes a bit more sense if you invert the ratio and think about how many flights you'd have to take on average to get a diversion. 1 in ~450 flights diverted.

I've had one diversion (thunderstorm in the summer closed the airport so we landed elsewhere as we needed fuel) in the last five years, and the 1 in 450 flights ratio would assume a diversion once every five years on average for me based on flying rate. So ratio seems to check out (for me, anecdotally).
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:05 pm

People keep posting that AA's record is not actually 75% delayed if you consider over their entire network. That's true.

What's also true is that they're consistently the worst of the majors in terms of on-time performance, so it's not like they do a stellar job in this respect.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:45 pm

I agree that on-time performance of AA is, by my experience, terrible, especially ex-ORD. But a sample size of 4 is still too small.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm increasing my sample size to three as I'm back in the air.

Three flights so far in the last two days ... all three have left the gate on time (well actually early for two of them because all pax had boarded). The first two landed early and even got a gate. The one I'm ion now is scheduled to land early. So I'm thinking from this weeks sample that 100 percent of American's flights leave on time and land early. Plus all three have PDB's served. And, I've spent less than 5 minutes total in TSA.

So, I'm thinking the US system is working pretty well.

Of course if one is looking for systems to note, based on last week, the OP should try going through immigration at MEX! AA gets in on time and security is good but ...
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Anyone else surprised by the amount of diverted flights? Almost 2,000? Diversions can happen for weather, mechanical or medical issues...but, still, I thought that was a much higher number than I expected.
The northern Gulf of Mexico is prone to fog in winter months, and a number of airports there are so helpfully quite near large fog-generating bodies of water. Book a ticket to Pensacola in December and you'll get to Pensacola eventually, though it can involve flying into Dothan, Alabama or Biloxi, Mississippi and getting on a bus from there. (I'm pretty sure the outstation managers in these parts have multiple charter bus operators programmed into their work phones)

If anyone is headed toward that part of the world that time of year, go for about a 10am-4:30pm arrival and departure window
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
They must have the flight stats w/o regional flights added in. But, then I guess we would assume they also didn't include regionals in the diversions number too so it would be interesting to see the final breakdown then with them included.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
They must have the flight stats w/o regional flights added in. But, then I guess we would assume they also didn't include regionals in the diversions number too so it would be interesting to see the final breakdown then with them included.
Iirc the table I show above is AA alone, without “Eagle”. But check out all the data and stats you want here.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
Wowww, a sample of four flights!!!!
Where did you take Statistics? At the Banana Republic University?
I agree however that airport train transportation is not as common and efficient in US as it is in Europe for example. Most americans prefer to drive than take the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.