Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award: AA - BA Routing, Connection, J Seats ORD-VIE-ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award: AA - BA Routing, Connection, J Seats ORD-VIE-ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by deaddog
In other words, if I eliminate from my analysis the separate ticket risk of not being protected on my VCE-VIE flight, does that make VCE superior to LHR as a transfer airport?
Yes, but I think I wouldn't pay $1200 to transit VCE instead of LHR. The fact that you're strongly considering this leads me to believe you don't actually value those miles as $1200.

I mean, really: you can buy a TV at a crowded, nasty mall, or the same TV at a nicer, pleasant mall but you'd pay $1200 more...

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
1. The "AA" hotel. The bed is a crappy bed and they feed you a crappy meal. You can only stay in the bed for just over 7 hours max. Cost: $1865 for 8 hours (but only 7 hours max actually in the bed)

2. The "BA" hotel. The bed is even crappier, and crappy meal is similar, and it's still the same 7 hours. Cost: $1390

3. The "Premium Economy" hotel : no bed. You get a chair instead. Same crappy meal as the expensive BA hotel. It's still the same 7 hours. cost: I'm not sure, but a heck of a lot less than the other two options.
PE fares might not be a lot less. Once you get to coach fares, there's the question of "well, do I want to feel like a jetlagged achy pretzel when I show up in Vienna". Again, this speaks to the notional value of miles.

On a $525 one way coach airfare to Vienna through London, I might be willing to give away 57,500 miles to be in business class, but in a non-earning fare class, because it's not like I can take those miles to my bank and turn them into cash, or use them to buy an S&P 500 index fund, so this might be a good use for them unless I was identifying a better use for them. It might be worth the tradeoff if I'd have a reasonably comfortable flight.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 14, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks all. I haven't connected through LHR in a few years but my recollection is that it was never pleasant - ride a bus, change terminals, clear security etc. The benefits are not clearing customs and having bags checked through. VCE looks like a much, much smaller airport with no terminal change required. I guess I should have already researched this -- BUT, will I have to clear customs in VCE, or can I just collect my luggage, clear passport control, and check into my VCE-VIE flight?

In other words, if I eliminate from my analysis the separate ticket risk of not being protected on my VCE-VIE flight, does that make VCE superior to LHR as a transfer airport?
VCE is for sure smaller than Heathrow, but it will still be more of a hassle considering you have to claim your bags and check in again with OS. Forget about the separate ticket risk, with 4 hrs you have plenty of time. Assuming your AA flight is on time or a little early as are a lot of flights to Europe, you'll probably find yourself with a solid 2.5 hrs of sitting around the VCE departure hall waiting for your flight to VIE, with no lounge access to boot.

The bus ride at LHR is 7 or 8 mins, and as you'll be in J you can use the fast track lines for security. If you book the BA option, and later find space on AA metal to LHR as I suggested above, there wouldn't even be the terminal change as both AA and BA flights to VIE use T3 at LHR. And as a J pax, you can use the very nice CX or QF lounges at T3 before your flight to VIE.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Yep, saw this and am taking it on one of our legs - either ORD-PHL-PRG or PRG-PHL-ORD. But we are either starting or ending our trip in Vienna. I looked at taking the train from Vienna to Prague to fly RT in and out of PRG but that seemed like a pretty inefficient use of time.
The train between Vienna and Prague takes about 4.5 hours. You can take it straight from the airport into town. I'd say this is a much more efficient way of doing it, rather than separate tickets at VCE, and certainly better than dealing with LHR (especially if paying the BA fees).
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
[QUOTE=JJeffrey;29639831]Those are two BAD options I hate it when folks waste miles on AAnytime awards almost as much as wasting money on the ridiculous BA fuel surcharges.

I agree, both are horrible options. If you can find saver awards to any European city on AA metal or even Iberia, choose that. Otherwise go with BA, even though it sucks. At least you are traveling with your wife, so the seating arrangement is not as bad as it is for the single traveler.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
Do you have any United miles or UR points that you can transfer to United?
Then you can buy a one way ORD-PRG with AA miles, and a separate one way ticket VIE-ORD with United miles. There is usually decent availability on Austrian with 70,000 United miles, and their service in J is very good.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm trying to decide which routing to take on an ORD-VIE leg of a trip to Prauge/Auschwitz/Vienna trip. We don't have a particular preference for order of cities (start in Prague, end in Vienna or vice versa) but are trying to find the most efficient and most comfortable options. My research is showing that J in either option isn't fantastic: the AA is a 787-8, which supposedly has problems with seats moving when others move in their seats (not great for overnight); the BA is a 777, which supposedly requires you to step over the aisle person if you're in a window.

We're using miles but additional cash is required for all legs. And, as I've noted in a separate thread, we might require a separate ticketing which entails some risk (but not huge given the multiple options for the VCE-VIE leg and not trying to connect to an expensive J ticket). For purposes of this analysis, I'm valuing my AAdvantage miles at $0.015 (I'm sort of making up that valuation so feel free to chime in on that). The AA option is more expensive but we'd be ok paying the difference if the AA flight experience is markedly superior to the BA.
Their is a big difference in using AA ff miles for a saver award compared to anytime award. If you can find a saver AA award to any close by city just take it, before someone else does. Central Eu is small. Trains can get you almost anywhere.
Great Circle Mapper

The other thread by OP Connection - VIE-VCE-ORD?

You seem to be making this harder/more risk/more expensive/less value than it needs to be.
I would just get to central Eu and use trains to the destinations of Prauge/Auschwitz/Vienna.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 14, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA Business Class with fully horizontal lie flat seats with 100% aisle access will beat the slats off any BA Club World weight bench ottoman composite flat seat where most passengers are required to climb over their recumbent seat mate or be climbed over (there’s no supposition about this - check seat charts or even SeatGuru, and I’ve flown on dozens of BA CW flights) , and where food trays are passed over lowered privacy screens like prison trays being passed to prisoners.

That having been said, you will be required to recover and recheck k your baggage at VCE on the two ticket option, and you’ll have no protection to VIE if you miss your OS flight.

As much as I prefer even the Zodiac Concept D Business Suite over the Club World mongrel seats, in your case I’d choose BA for the ease of the LHR connection. Link to LHR connections tool.
Totally agree with JDiver on this one.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
My options, 2 people, checked luggage:

1. AA: ORD-VCE on a AA 787-8, depart 19:20, arrive 11:00, VCE-VIE on separately ticketed OS RJ-195, depart 15:00, arrive 16:05. Cost per person: $1864.60 (110,000 miles +$5.60 AA fees + $209 OS ticket).

2. BA: ORD-LHR on a BA 777, depart 20:55, arrive 10:40, LHR-VIE on A320, depart 15:30, arrive 18:45. Cost per person: $1389.55 (57,500 miles + $527.05 in AA/BA fees).

Anybody care to venture an opinion on this?

Thanks
3. AA ORD-VCE, then book VCE-VIE for the next day. Overnight in Venice, enjoy the city, then fly onwards to VIE.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Hopefully your AAdvantage miles can be put to better use than this. Take the BA option, in my opinion. The difference in quality is not so much as to warrant that amount of difference. LHR is not so bad anymore to transit. Not ideal, but certainly not as much hassle as it is made out to be.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by sobe_dude
Do you have any United miles or UR points that you can transfer to United?
Then you can buy a one way ORD-PRG with AA miles, and a separate one way ticket VIE-ORD with United miles. There is usually decent availability on Austrian with 70,000 United miles, and their service in J is very good.
Oh that it is! The coffees are the finest!

(pardon the digression)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

deaddog, my opinion differs from others, but I say with absolute clarity of mind, neither option you've presented is bad. As you are comparing redemption costs, the decision boils down to how you want to distribute the miles you have available to spent against the additional cash component. If you don't have oneworld Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald status, also factor in the cost of preassigned seats on BA.

Some peripheral thoughts
Consider the pre-flght experience at ORD. You'll have access to AA's Flagship lounge at ORD T3 which is a rather pleasant place to hang out before boarding - great views, okay F&B. BA's lounge at T5 is smaller and gets terribly busy. Both offer pre-flight dining

BA's onboard catering has seen a significant improvement this year. In terms of quality and taste, BA will offer a much better experience in this aspect of the journey. BA's service on the 20:55 departure will be geared towards maximising sleep time, so if you wish to dine on-board the full service is available but will be served after the cabin lights are dimmed.

The seats comparisons are hugely subjective. BA's 777 cabin is pretty large and is positioned next to the wings. As others have mentioned, window seats do not have direct access to the aisle but I find the seat very comfortable and while narrow on paper at 20", to me AA's 20.8" wide Concept D seat "feels" narrower, probably due to its "bathtub" enclosure and absence of armrests. The Concept D cabin provides direct aisle access to/from all seats though which is handy if you enjoy frequent strolls to the galley/washrooms.

AA will offer you a larger Hollywood film library and a higher definition screen

Note, BA's LHR-VIE service operates out of T3 which involves a coach transfer from T5. There is a great selection of oneworld lounges available at T3 - plenty of variety there
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the OP had two separate threads for the same (award) journey, they have been merged, and the thread has been retitled to embrace the intended scope of the thread.

We do not recommend starting more than one thread for one journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.