Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More AA Golf Carts at DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
The complaints about the new carts are valid, and the woman splitting her head (if not exaggerated) is concerning. However, is this really an AA decision? I'd think that the decision to use carts vs. the current carts would be up to DFW management, not AA... so it might not be Doug related at all.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yeah you just lost all credibility with that statement. Most of us including flyers who don't know a 737 from a 757 would agree that the Super 80's are more comfortable than most of AA's current and future narrowbody fleet.
Agreed. I like the 2 seat port side in Y. Also, if you aren't too close to the engines it can be quiet......especially in FC
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by POatParker
It is absolutely true! I fly through DFW every week! CK's probably still get the golf carts! Hadicaps get the death traps!
You seem quite angry and stressed about the airport experience. Have you considered getting a service animal? Some passengers find them comforting.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was told the decision to use these instead of the golf carts, came from AA management.
I was told by the driver of one, that they were provided by AA.
Nice use of the passive voice. The fact that you "were told" something doesn't mean it was the truth.

Originally Posted by jcatman
You seem quite angry and stressed about the airport experience. Have you considered getting a service animal? Some passengers find them comforting.
Or just not flying, for that matter. Life's too short to be upset all the time.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
you should see the golf carts at BOM. it seems like half the plane on on these
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Smaller, more maneuverable, carts are better. Less potential for collision with pedestrians in the terminal. Sounds like an improvement to me. And I would imagine that there are safety standards and requirements for both operators and passengers of these vehicles, which both the "old" style and these new ones are subject to.

Even if it was AA's decision to use these vehicles - highly highly unlikely that it was Parker's decision. That's not what a CEO does...

If you have been following other threads on Flyer Talk, you would know they the S80's are being revamped with more seats for five more years of service.
Do you have any evidence to support that? Because it's not true, AFAIK.

Latest media and AA statements indicate that all MD-80s will be retired by the end of 2019.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...80-replacement

MD-80s are the best narrowbody mainline aircraft in the fleet. It's a shame from a customer comfort standpoint that they going away (altough makes complete sense from a business standpoint).
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just landed in DFW. Here are some pics

It says on the yellow that seatbelts must be worn.
_kurt likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:54 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I wish more airports did like CLT and just use pushed wheelchairs for those that need it. The cart drivers refuse to drive the speed of a normal walking pace and are a danger. The carts aren't designed to be a fast track to the gate for anyone who wants it. They're there to get those who NEED it to their gate.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I wish more airports did like CLT and just use pushed wheelchairs for those that need it. The cart drivers refuse to drive the speed of a normal walking pace and are a danger. The carts aren't designed to be a fast track to the gate for anyone who wants it. They're there to get those who NEED it to their gate.
Back in the '90s, carts were used at DFW to transport people whose gates were far away. Several times, me and my family (no one was handicapped) would hop on a cart to get to our connecting gate - nice way to navigate DFW. With the SkyLink now running, the carts are now used for handicapped people.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:07 am

And unaccompanied minors as well.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:03 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I hold an unpopular opinion on this subject, and I actually have no idea WHY it's unpopular.

I'm happy for people to ride in a cart in single file with walking passengers.

I'm happy for people to ride in a cart, side-by-side with walking passengers.

But I simply don't understand "Step Aside For The Cart, Please".

Consider the floor area immediately in front of a walking passenger. Obviously, a cart has more right to that square footage than the walking passenger has. But ... why? Is it because carts have more rights than people? Or, instead, is it because people on carts have more rights than walking people?

How would you feel if you're walking toward your gate, and I chose to run, but the corridor is crowded, so I shout "Step Aside for the Runner"?

I understand that people ride carts. I understand that they need to use the same corridor as walking people. I just don't understand why people on carts have more right to use the passageway than walking people.
Catbert10, IAHtraveler and rjw242 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage
At least at DFW the cart drivers are nice enough to say "Excuse the cart, please!" At ORD, they just honk at you.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I hate these carts -- old and new. They're fairly dangerous to walkers, and don't really save riders much time because they wait for an entire aircraft before departing. Why can't DFW use individual wheelchairs for those who need them like the vast majority of airports?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Dangerous to walkers? If so, where are all the reports of walkers being injured by carts?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Dangerous to walkers? If so, where are all the reports of walkers being injured by carts?
http://abc13.com/archive/7424747

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I'm happy for people to ride in a cart in single file with walking passengers.

I'm happy for people to ride in a cart, side-by-side with walking passengers.

But I simply don't understand "Step Aside For The Cart, Please".
{snip}
I understand that people ride carts. I understand that they need to use the same corridor as walking people. I just don't understand why people on carts have more right to use the passageway than walking people.
This. So much this!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.