Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens when AA says you have more swu available than you believe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

So I had 4 swu's awarded as result of new mm status, but I have 3 reserved/confirmed - a one way and a rt. System says I have 2 left. Just used another one - agent says still shows 1 have left after new reservation. She checked that there are swu's attached to my existing reservations.
If I use another one (as it shows available) what will happen if it is a system glitch?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Dont you like AA math? Most likely one SWU has not been "checked off" and still shows available. At any rate, the likely scenario is that once the system catches up, you will go negative until you earn another batch of SWU, at which time it will be deducted from your balance. Problem is that you dont know when the system will sync in. If it occurs before during your upcoming SWU travel, then maybe the upgrade might get denied, if not denied, then you will go negative.
asf-07 likes this.

Last edited by arollins; Apr 12, 2018 at 5:49 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by arollins
Dont you like AA math? Most likely one SWU has not been "checked off" and still shows available. At any rate, the likely scenario is that once the system catches up, you will go negative until you earn another batch of SWU, at which time it will be deducted from your balance. Problem is that you dont know when the system will sync in. If it occurs before during your upcoming SWU travel, then maybe the upgrade might get denied, if not denied, then you will go negative.
Yep. I've had months pass before SWU get appropriately "checked off" before. There are stories out there of some getting missed (and thus people getting more than their 4), however it is very much the exception rather than the rule. I would say that IME it is *highly* likely that the appropriate number will be deducted eventually.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone gone negative and then not earned any more swu's? (I've given up paid flights on AA after multiple millions of miles b/c of all the take aways)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by estnet
Has anyone gone negative and then not earned any more swu's? (I've given up paid flights on AA after multiple millions of miles b/c of all the take aways)
I have no experience with that, so I can't say either way. What would happen though is this: if you have a 5th SWU applied to a reservation (because one previously applied hadn't been deducted from your balance yet) and the system catches up before you fly that 5th reservation, they'll go in and pull your upgrade.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Yes I understand that - but what I'm wondering is (b/c people have said sometimes it takes months) what happens if say 5 ug are used - then later they correct and you then go negative?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.