Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum pro award ticket upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Platinum pro award ticket upgrades

Have any platinum pro members had luck getting an award ticket upgraded at the gate?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
I’m EXP and it’s a crapshoot. May 75% domestic
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Upgrading award tickets it only a CK/EP benefit, right?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by asf-07
Upgrading award tickets it only a CK/EP benefit, right?
Correct. OP has 0% chance of an upgrade in this case.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: SIA Gold, AA PlatPro, AC 75k, Hilton Diamond
Does platinum pro have anyway to pay for an upgrade on award tickets? Or do they even have a chance at an upgrade at check-in? I find it hard to believe that platinum pro is "stuck" in the award ticket class that they have.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jcnkc
Does platinum pro have anyway to pay for an upgrade on award tickets? Or do they even have a chance at an upgrade at check-in? I find it hard to believe that platinum pro is "stuck" in the award ticket class that they have.
No, only EXP and CK are eligible for upgrades of any kind on award tickets.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:16 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Indeed, stuck you are.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:26 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Pay the mileage difference between economy and first (which due to dynamic pricing could be ridiculous).
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Of course, if business/first awards are currently available for your route at a "cost" you like, you can cancel and redeposit without penalty and book the upgrade directly. (Actually, I think I'd ticket the new ones before cancelling...)

EDIT: I see VFR beat me to it!
VFR and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bmw303
Have any platinum pro members had luck getting an award ticket upgraded at the gate?
That would be extremely unlikely unless in the case of an OP UP
Old Nov 6, 2021, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
(Actually, I think I'd ticket the new ones before cancelling...)
Wouldn't that be blocked as a duplicate reservation?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Wouldn't that be blocked as a duplicate reservation?
Quite probably. With paid tickets, you can remove your FF info on the new PNR and get away with it (and add it back in later.) Last I knew, that immediate rejection is based soley on FF#. I've never tried, but even though you are logged into your account and using miles for award tickets, I SUSPECT you could book the new PNR without FF# - just like buying for a friend - and then add it back in later. Word of warning: If you attempt anything like this, cancel the duplicate within minutes. I can't believe AA would consider this type of action a threat against their inventory, but I can't say for sure. It's just an attempt to make sure the award inventory is not phantom. Once successfully held or purchased, immediately cancel the original and re-add your FF info to the new. I don't think this action (to avoid the "that fare is no longer available" issue) is against AA's T&C, but if it is - don't proceed. Also, you have to have the miles in your account to cover both PNRs and there is never a "contract" until the PNR is updated with ticket numbers. Again, I am not trying to say it's okay to book a PNR that you know you will never use - but the nuance here is that you are simply trying to confirm your new routing is not phantom, and if immediate action is taken to cancel one or the other, I'd be surprised if AA would care. Now repeatedly holding a new PNR for the allowed 5 days knowing you will never use one or the other is an entirely different issue.

I would say call AA – but they cannot “upfare” web special awards – and I assume a standard award is way higher than the OP wanted to pay. If you are happy with award chart miles, an agent could certainly book the new flights for you, although I believe they would still have to cancel (and reinstate) miles for the existing, if it is a web special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.