Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just when you thought you've seen it all... (pax behavior, fitness to fly)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just when you thought you've seen it all... (pax behavior, fitness to fly)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Angry Just when you thought you've seen it all... (pax behavior, fitness to fly)

Flying home from Eugene to Phoenix on AA2973 today, I was in 1A (upgrade). Gentleman across the aisle was obviously disturbed and medicated. Proceeds to urinate in a cup halfway through the flight while we're all eating lunch. Then, HE PROCEEDS TO HAND THE CUP TO THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT. I tried to signal to her not to touch it, but it was too late and then she looked at me...absolutely mortified. Not to mention he was hacking up both lungs THE ENTIRE FLIGHT. God help me if I get sick this weekend.

The rest of us 5 FC passengers made statements to the two managers that greeted the flight. Guy had a connecting flight, definitely not fit to fly. Gate agent in Eugene never should have let him board. Spent the rest of the flight babbling incoherently, and he was so grossly overweight he couldn't stand up without help. Absolutely disgusting, atrocious behavior...
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:03 pm

Let's have some compassion if he suffers from a medical condition (physical and/or mental). That said, it does sound like he shouldn't have been flying.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Holly hell thats crazy! Sounds like they for sure should have not let him on the flight, I can’t believe he just pissed in a cup at his seat...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryan182
Holly hell thats crazy! Sounds like they for sure should have not let him on the flight, I can’t believe he just pissed in a cup at his seat...
It was! The FA working first class and I "huddled" in the galley to discuss during the flight (i used to fly commercially, so was giving my two cents from that standpoint) and she said she had NEVER seen anything like that in her career. She was absolutely horrified! I recommend to the manager I spoke with, that both FA's receive an Above and Beyond in their file.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by av8tr22
Gate agent in Eugene never should have let him board.
Was he actually behaving oddly at the gate, to a degree that the GA could reasonably make that decision?

His weight is not relevant and it's unfortunate you chose to point that out in an otherwise entertaining post.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by rjw242
Was he actually behaving oddly at the gate, to a degree that the GA could reasonably make that decision?

His weight is not relevant and it's unfortunate you chose to point that out in an otherwise entertaining post.
Weight MIGHT be relevant if the PAX was too ______ fat to get into bathroom. Just sayin"

Perhaps In this day and age of over "Political Correctness" and Twitter, no one at AA from ground to in-flight was willing to risk their job. These days NO airline employee wanted to end up in the "news", labeled a fascist, a body shamer, anti people with mental health issues, puppy killer, etc.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Apr 7, 2018 at 5:40 am
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Let's have some compassion if he suffers from a medical condition (physical and/or mental). That said, it does sound like he shouldn't have been flying.
Let's not.

There is a time for compassion. A Junior hockey team died in Canada. A senior gendarme in France swapped himself for a hostage, and had his throat slashed for his effort. My best friend of 55+ years has inoperable brain cancer. That is the place for compassion.

AA goofed on this one, because no one wants to be THAT guy/gal who "DISCRIMINATES" against a guy who is/was fat, uncouth, sick, out of touch with reality, maybe just got out of prison, maybe mistimed his meds, blah blah, blah. One "Social Media" post and the employee is DONE!

Urinating in public? On a flying aircraft? Into a cup? Is there anyone on this forum, or the other fora, that would excuse/accept/condone/would sit next to that guy? Show of hands?

Wack jobs are wack jobs, whether armed with an AK-47, or a urine filled cup.

Great job TSA, our 1st line of defense!

Evidently, YMMV.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Apr 7, 2018 at 8:47 am
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
I disagree. OP wasn't saying that the pax was fat just to make fun of him. He said that the pax was grossly obese and incapable of supporting his own weight without assistance. Whether he can walk or not definitely ought to be a factor in the pax's fitness to fly.
hugolover and LovePrunes like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I read all the time the GA shouldn't have let the passenger board. I don't think these posters really understand the interaction last literally about 2-3 seconds to assess the person. Unless it is really obvious, you just can't evaluate most passengers. There's lots of pressure to get the flight out, they get paid crap, get a lot of $hit from passengers - let's give them a break.
bryanb likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I take it you have expertise in assessing mobility based upon visual observation? Did he use an aisle chair to board? People of this size do have mobility and the distance to the lav is not unreasonable - I do have expertise in assessing mobility. I'm smelling troll or other motivation here.
Actually I do. I sat right across the aisle from him and heard him say he could not get up. He was put on the plane in an aisle chair, and was taken off in a chair.

Being that I was there, I think my observations carry a little more credibility vs. your armchair opinion.
hugolover and AA100k like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Other options are:
1.Private jet
2.Train
3. Car
4. Void before you get on the plane and buy a connecting flight that allows you enough time to take care of business.

He undoubtedly would not be able to get it done in most airplane lavatories. Even First or Business on a long haul flight lavs would be too small.
I was foolish enough to take a transpacific cruise to Hawaii a few years ago. Most of the passengers resembled this photo and almost all of them DROVE to the port as they could not fit in an airplane seat even in F. Never again would I make that mistake. Fortunately we were in an aft suite so we avoided the buffet at all costs. That is where most of them spent their days. And no, I am not harsh, just observant and realistic.
hugolover and LovePrunes like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
We don't know why he is so large and one does not have to be judgmental about his size to hold the viewpoint that he has no business being on a plane. There is a safety issue if he is so large he cannot even get in/out of the seat. There are plenty of people who cannot fly due to medical conditions and this certainly seems to fit the bill.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:34 pm
Suspended

American Airlines is in public transportation sector. People buy ticket and ride on it. It is no different than a public coach service or train service. You get to see many different scenes of humanity that you would never see in your comfort zone. Even walk on street of metropolitan cities of New York or Chicago you get to see all sorts of behaviours. Get over it and move on. And, I really do not think it is a good idea to take a picture of other people without asking even you are not showing the face.

Whatever the reason it is for this gentleman to pee in the cup, it is not for us to speculate. You could have alerted to the crew to see if they are to take any action or not. The crew member might have a note.

If you have not alerted the crew but took the picture of the passenger without asking, I think you are in the wrong side.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Yes wetrat0 I completely agree that this person is a safety risk to both himself and the unfortunate passenger next to him which is precisely the reason I try to reserve an aisle seat when I fly.
Don't get me started on emergency evacuations on a cruise ship. OMG even a slip n slide down a stairwell would be impossible with many of those passengers.
This is NOT about discrimination or being PC. It is about NOT impacting the safety of other able bodied people. End.of.story.
I have absolutely no sympathy any longer for gluttony. One of the 7 deadly sins for sure.
hugolover and apeortdz like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thank you for the thread. Sad. Entertaining. Shocking. All in one thread. The picture tells the story.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.