Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The battlefield upgrade in action (and works as designed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:56 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

I’ve read a number of threads about seats in F going empty on domestic flights where there were still elites on the list. Let me share are an experience where the process worked as designed.

I was on a clt-ewr 737-800 flight that was sold out. EF had all buckets zeroed out, the upgrade list had me as the lone passenger who didn’t make the cut so I took my seat in 8C. I boarded with my group (4) and noticed 5 empty F seats. Figured some late connecting passengers. As the plane boarded, I only saw one person take a seat up front.

At T minus 10, literally to the minute, with 4 seats still unclaimed, I got an alert on my phone of a seat change to 6B(last row in F). The line of people was still boarding so I waited. I made eye contact with the gate agent who got on board and we acknowledged I was aware of my new seat assignment. I mouthed a silent “thank you!” and took my seat when the crowd cleared.

Shortly after, I saw a uniformed pilot board and take my old seat.

So, no favoritism of crew and no skirting the rules. The GA followed the protocol and we still got out on time with all but a few F seats taken. Kudos to all!

Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Glad to hear it worked out for you, i had a similar suprise this week, I was #1 on the UG list on PHL - LAX, zero availabe FC seats all week before the flight, 5 minutes to door closing the gate agent comes on board and gave me a BP for 4F, had a much better ride.
aztimm and JDiver like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Sometimes people misconnect and no show - which opens a seat in F. But the last few years - less people are no shows. So likely misconnect.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
My wife (EXP) flew mainline from SMF yesterday and was #2 on the list with F1 at T-30. #1 got the upgrade, flight went to F0, and she boarded in coach. About 3 minutes before they closed the door the GA came onboard, approached her, asked "are you Mrs. PGF?" and gave her an F BP ^.

The system does work as intended sometimes...
JDiver and A CT Yankee like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wow in CLT of all places....nice! I have had bad experiences with gate UPGs with GAs at this airport with them not following protocol and keep reporting them so hopefully things have changed.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow in CLT of all places....nice! I have had bad experiences with gate UPGs with GAs at this airport with them not following protocol and keep reporting them so hopefully things have changed.
+1 on amazement on your UG. In CLT!

Next pigs will sprout wings.

After that:

LAX and SFO GA's will place CK & EXP ahead of "Friends and Family". Not holding my breath
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
LAX and SFO GA's will place CK & EXP ahead of "Friends and Family". Not holding my breath
The empty seat in front of me was filled by some brought from the rear by the GA last night on a very full flight from LAX to SFO. And I even got to sit up front as a standby.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by PHL
I’ve read a number of threads about seats in F going empty on domestic flights where there were still elites on the list. Let me share are an experience where the process worked as designed.

I was on a clt-ewr 737-800 flight that was sold out. EF had all buckets zeroed out, the upgrade list had me as the lone passenger who didn’t make the cut so I took my seat in 8C. I boarded with my group (4) and noticed 5 empty F seats. Figured some late connecting passengers. As the plane boarded, I only saw one person take a seat up front.

At T minus 10, literally to the minute, with 4 seats still unclaimed, I got an alert on my phone of a seat change to 6B(last row in F). The line of people was still boarding so I waited. I made eye contact with the gate agent who got on board and we acknowledged I was aware of my new seat assignment. I mouthed a silent “thank you!” and took my seat when the crowd cleared.

Shortly after, I saw a uniformed pilot board and take my old seat.

So, no favoritism of crew and no skirting the rules. The GA followed the protocol and we still got out on time with all but a few F seats taken. Kudos to all!

I am surprised that a uniformed pilot was put in economy (8C) with three F seats still open however.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Did you receive a PDB?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
Sometimes people misconnect and no show - which opens a seat in F. But the last few years - less people are no shows. So likely misconnect.
When connecting through a hub, I suspect there are a number of pax who do hidden-city ticketing to save money and end up as a no show. I know I've done it a number of times on DL through DTW. Usually, if the connection is short, I'll go to the departing gate and let them know I won't be taking the flight. One time, I told an agent in the lounge I wouldn't be making my connecting flight and she apparently misunderstood. When I checked my account while in the lounge, I found she had simply re-booked me on a later flight.

When I'm at the top of the upgrade list, I always check with the agent before boarding to see if they will pull me if there are no shows. This lets them know I'm watching in case they want to try to pull any shenanigans.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
OK but seriously, what is F on this route? A package snack and drink?? AA's F is awful on short flights these days.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
OK but seriously, what is F on this route? A package snack and drink??
F is the ability to move your feet and fully open your laptop screen. Anything beyond that is just gravy.
jhartvu, ikwia, scoonee and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:39 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcatman
Did you receive a PDB?
Yes!
arlflyer, JDiver and scoonee like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:40 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
F is the ability to move your feet and fully open your laptop screen. Anything beyond that is just gravy.
And free adult beverages, if that's a value add to those who like a wind down drink.
jhartvu and ikwia like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
OK but seriously, what is F on this route? A package snack and drink?? AA's F is awful on short flights these days.
Two words: PERSONAL SPACE
KBMIFlyer, E55, JDiver and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.