Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flyingto LGA on crj, bag valet vs bag check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton

best I could do with the title.

I have a few bottles of alcohol that I want to bring home. I can check the bag for free but should I expect a huge delay in getting that bag at LGA baggage carousel? Or is it fairly quick, comparable to the bag valet check @ the gate that we will have to do anyway?

Im debating checking the bag vs just spending $15 and shipping the bottles back USPS priority mail. I think the bottles will be better protected in my luggage FWIW.

Leaning toward bag check unless it’s an ordeal not worth bothering with. Please chime in.

Oh, btw, cost of bottles is $40 all in. Not fine wine.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How do you plan to get two bottles of alcohol past security so that you can valet-check them?
JDiver, KBMIFlyer and brewdog11 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
How do you plan to get two bottles of alcohol past security so that you can valet-check them?
I dont. I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. I can either check them OR mail them.

I’m just trying to figure out how much longer the checked bag retrieval process is at LGA compared with its VERY fast gate valet system.

TIA
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix
Im debating checking the bag vs just spending $15 and shipping the bottles back USPS priority mail. I think the bottles will be better protected in my luggage FWIW.
USPS is not an option:
https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just check it....Delta has a baggage delivery time guarantee or you get 2,500 skymiles. Despite how bad LGA is the bag delivery times aren’t really any different.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just check it....Delta has a baggage delivery time guarantee or you get 2,500 skymiles. Despite how bad LGA is the bag delivery times aren’t really any different.
That's great. But, OP is flying AA!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Often1
That's great. But, OP is flying AA!
whoops my bad!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Surprised about USPS...guess I won’t do that anymore... perhaps UPS ground.

Honestly, since these are bottles of beer, now I am wondering if the pressure changes in the checked luggage is a concern.

But back on point, I’m guessing waiting for luggage at baggage check is significantly longer than the wait for valet check, right, even if coming from a small jet?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
what kind of beer? me, I would just drink it to avoid the hassle
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I checked a bag SDF-DCA-LGA last week (Kentucky bourbon, similar reason). On arrival, I quickly popped into the lounge for a snack and then went down to baggage claim. All the bags had already come in, and mine was waiting for me. Not that it always goes that fast, I'm sure, but at LGA I wouldn't expect to wait more than 15 minutes after getting to baggage claim.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
My last trip to LGA, my checked bag appeared on the belt within three mins of me getting to the baggage claim...and that was with a firearm in the bag. It shouldn't be too long of a trip and might be easier than trying to ship it and hope somebody can sign for the bag if you're not around to claim it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Surprised about USPS...guess I won’t do that anymore... perhaps UPS ground.

Honestly, since these are bottles of beer, now I am wondering if the pressure changes in the checked luggage is a concern.

But back on point, I’m guessing waiting for luggage at baggage check is significantly longer than the wait for valet check, right, even if coming from a small jet?
I do this all the time (checking beer). If there were significant pressure changes in the cabin, all of the dogs wouldn't make it. Unless they are improperly bottled/canned, you should have no problem. I brought a suitcase home full from Belgium last year...all fine. I wouldn't volunteer that it has beer in it though, and just like with UPS, there is the chance that some could go missing.

UPS is a crapshoot as they are technically not permitted to ship alcohol (same as USPS, but using USPS is a federal issue, which you want to avoid), so there are lots of stories of alcohol getting 'audited'.

For those that are uninformed about the state of craft beer, just because the beer isn't expensive, doesn't mean that it isn't rare or impossible to get outside of the brewery or the town it is made or that the trade value isn't exorbitant. Boston, as an example, has two of the best IPA producers in the world and their quality is unmatched in many parts of the country (if you thought Sam Adams or Harpoon for even a second, you are stuck in 2005). I would be surprised if many, many bags checked in BOS didn't have some Tree House or some Trillium tucked in the bag. If you go on eBay, there are single cans of TreeHouse for $50 or more. So, just like your Napa trip, it's often worth packing some local craft beer in your checked luggage.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Score8
I do this all the time (checking beer). If there were significant pressure changes in the cabin, all of the dogs wouldn't make it. Unless they are improperly bottled/canned, you should have no problem. I brought a suitcase home full from Belgium last year...all fine. I wouldn't volunteer that it has beer in it though, and just like with UPS, there is the chance that some could go missing.

UPS is a crapshoot as they are technically not permitted to ship alcohol (same as USPS, but using USPS is a federal issue, which you want to avoid), so there are lots of stories of alcohol getting 'audited'.

For those that are uninformed about the state of craft beer, just because the beer isn't expensive, doesn't mean that it isn't rare or impossible to get outside of the brewery or the town it is made or that the trade value isn't exorbitant. Boston, as an example, has two of the best IPA producers in the world and their quality is unmatched in many parts of the country (if you thought Sam Adams or Harpoon for even a second, you are stuck in 2005). I would be surprised if many, many bags checked in BOS didn't have some Tree House or some Trillium tucked in the bag. If you go on eBay, there are single cans of TreeHouse for $50 or more. So, just like your Napa trip, it's often worth packing some local craft beer in your checked luggage.
So, if you order it on Ebay, how is it shipped?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
So, if you order it on Ebay, how is it shipped?
Without guarantees, I'm guessing...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
My last trip to LGA, my checked bag appeared on the belt within three mins of me getting to the baggage claim...and that was with a firearm in the bag. It shouldn't be too long of a trip and might be easier than trying to ship it and hope somebody can sign for the bag if you're not around to claim it.
You must have never flown to DCA. 3 minutes, I'm jealous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.