Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flyingto LGA on crj, bag valet vs bag check?

Flyingto LGA on crj, bag valet vs bag check?

Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by fotographer
what kind of beer? me, I would just drink it to avoid the hassle
Just some of the local stuff that you cant get in NY
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
My last trip to LGA, my checked bag appeared on the belt within three mins of me getting to the baggage claim...and that was with a firearm in the bag. It shouldn't be too long of a trip and might be easier than trying to ship it and hope somebody can sign for the bag if you're not around to claim it.
Well I got 2 answers of under 15 mins so now I may just check it. Its easy enough.
Originally Posted by Score8
I do this all the time (checking beer). If there were significant pressure changes in the cabin, all of the dogs wouldn't make it. Unless they are improperly bottled/canned, you should have no problem. I brought a suitcase home full from Belgium last year...all fine. I wouldn't volunteer that it has beer in it though, and just like with UPS, there is the chance that some could go missing.

UPS is a crapshoot as they are technically not permitted to ship alcohol (same as USPS, but using USPS is a federal issue, which you want to avoid), so there are lots of stories of alcohol getting 'audited'.

For those that are uninformed about the state of craft beer, just because the beer isn't expensive, doesn't mean that it isn't rare or impossible to get outside of the brewery or the town it is made or that the trade value isn't exorbitant. Boston, as an example, has two of the best IPA producers in the world and their quality is unmatched in many parts of the country (if you thought Sam Adams or Harpoon for even a second, you are stuck in 2005). I would be surprised if many, many bags checked in BOS didn't have some Tree House or some Trillium tucked in the bag. If you go on eBay, there are single cans of TreeHouse for $50 or more. So, just like your Napa trip, it's often worth packing some local craft beer in your checked luggage.
Hadnt heard about UPS audits. And, yes, Ive sent a friend of mine a few cans of Heady Topper by mail(didnt realize I committed a felony?). Ive checked wine, but never beer bottles. And yes, my fellow beer snob, you are spot on about Treehouse, Trillium and others. A while back, I was a beer snob in training and happened to be near the Alchemist, back in12 or 13. I didnt realize I was near the Mecca of beer and texted beer guru friend who raved about how sought after it is. Came home with 3 cases and he was floored and appreciative. This year, he was and Trillium, Treehouse and a few others up there and took care of me. They dont distribute beer like Bud

So shipping or check luggage is how we bring it home.

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You must have never flown to DCA. 3 minutes, I'm jealous.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Oh and BTW, this is why I hate checking bags. The wait at the other end is so dicey! Last 2 times we checked bags at AA, granted it ‘twas JFK, it was a 45 min wait.

SO for $15 shipping may give some sanity...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You must have never flown to DCA. 3 minutes, I'm jealous.
Flown there plenty of times. My three minutes is after the 10-12 minute walk/wait for the jet bridge.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Well all checked in and will report my findings.

fwiw the CRJ 200 is a tiny step up from the ERJ140LR....

in other news, todays flight somber anniversary in my aviation history. Flew Concorde today over a decade ago. ....same size cabin but what a ride!

Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Checked beer in bag on CMH-LGA
​​​​​​
-CRJ arrived 30 min early. Beer was boarded quick per baggage app tracker.

-Landed LGA expressway visual approach on runway 31 after flying over a 737 inbound to EWR.

-Taxi to gate D9F, the same as our departure. While I personally enjoy being on the tarmac (wx pending), it can be a hassle for others. Had a gentlemen with mobility/handicap issues with a walker. AA employees and copilot helped him onto shuttle bus. Then back to D9F, he had to make it up the stairs as there was no elevator. That held up the whole line of people going up the stairs as he went slowly. While this helped delay the time I would have to wait to get to baggage claim, it only added 3 minutes. But I can see if others had connecting flights, how it would be a hassle.

So between the shuttle to D9F and walk to baggage claim, it was 15 mins and baggage was waiting for me. Pleasantly surpassed at how quick it was.

Thanks again for brew advice
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by the phoenix
​​​​​​

-Landed LGA expressway visual approach on runway 31 after flying over a 737 inbound to EWR.

-Taxi to gate D9F, the same as our departure. While I personally enjoy being on the tarmac (wx pending), it can be a hassle for others. Had a gentlemen with mobility/handicap issues with a walker. AA employees and copilot helped him onto shuttle bus. Then back to D9F, he had to make it up the stairs as there was no elevator. That held up the whole line of people going up the stairs as he went slowly. While this helped delay the time I would have to wait to get to baggage claim, it only added 3 minutes. But I can see if others had connecting flights, how it would be a hassle.

So between the shuttle to D9F and walk to baggage claim, it was 15 mins and baggage was waiting for me. Pleasantly surpassed at how quick it was.

Was this a case of arrival revival? Its what I call the sudden recovery of youth by pre-boarded disabled or elderly passengers that suddenly turn spry when faced with getting off the plane. Annoys the crap out of me, since the spryness does not translate to the walk up the jetbridge.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Was this a case of arrival revival? Its what I call the sudden recovery of youth by pre-boarded disabled or elderly passengers that suddenly turn spry when faced with getting off the plane. Annoys the crap out of me, since the spryness does not translate to the walk up the jetbridge.

Did you read the post? Young guy needed help all the way from the plane and up the stairs. It appears he had a case of Cerebral Palsy if I were to made a clinical observation.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Um sure it is, Alcohol is only prohibited for international shipping, for domestic its allowed. Same with UPS they very much are allowed to ship alcohol (where do people come up with this nonsense?!), I have both shipped and received numerous packages from UPS with booze. UPS even has special boxes that many of the wine companies use that say the package contains alcohol and receiver must be 21+
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryan182
Um sure it is, Alcohol is only prohibited for international shipping, for domestic its allowed. Same with UPS they very much are allowed to ship alcohol (where do people come up with this nonsense?!), I have both shipped and received numerous packages from UPS with booze. UPS even has special boxes that many of the wine companies use that say the package contains alcohol and receiver must be 21+
The USPS website is precisely where this 'nonsense' comes from (see two posts above). Both International and Domestic. With UPS, there are specific rules about shipping alcohol and just because you have successfully done it (many, including me, have also), doesn't mean that they expressly allow it. There are specific licenses you need to have with UPS in order to ship, and many of those do not permit direct to consumer.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix
​​​​​​

As a CMH based flyer, I'm curious..what brew did you take home?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

The USPS website is precisely where this 'nonsense' comes from (see two posts above). Both International and Domestic. With UPS, there are specific rules about shipping alcohol and just because you have successfully done it (many, including me, have also), doesn't mean that they expressly allow it. There are specific licenses you need to have with UPS in order to ship, and many of those do not permit direct to consumer.
He;s correct. When I initially posted, I re-read the USPS post and was surprised to read that shipping VIA USPS is indeed not allowed. You have to read the whole page, its not just international. That said, I was surprised since I have mailed cans before with no problem. This time, I was toying with shipping bottles but I usually hate checking luggage, hence the post. But worked out fine checking the bag which was A) FREE and B) offered better protection.

Originally Posted by taseas
As a CMH based flyer, I'm curious..what brew did you take home?
Columbus Bohdi and FatHead HeadHunter were the Ohio based brews we wanted to try. Also Creeper was released while we were there but I didnt scramble for it.

Also scored a few bottles of 3 Floyds Zombie Dust, which was a bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.