Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA vs Latam

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by miadukes
Ok so I am set to fly tomorrow I went with the AA flight to make sure it would count for challenge but in any case I went with the flight that had the 767. I just got off the phone with AA and decided to do a miles upgrade for the return since I am pretty sure they are lie flats and its an overnight flight. Anyone can confirm this? I am not super miles rich but as I have to go straight to work when I return I figured I'd splurge. it costs 15k miles and $150. I am gold now (opted for status with challenge). That is pretty mcuh the only way to upgrade right short of the SWU which I do not have? Is the upgrade to business on this route worth it?
There were not seats available so they put me on the list, I am not super hopeful at all but still wanted to know if that was a good option or not.
Yes, all of AA's 767s now have lie flat seats in business. They're the Thompson Vantage offset seats. If you can get a bulkhead go for it because the footwell is bigger. Also the seats at the window alternate in terms of being closer to the aisle (with the side table at the window) or closer to the window (with the side table to the aisle). The latter is more private.

Yes, there are four ways to upgrade to business internationally: (1) SWU if you are an EXP (or are gifted one); (2) miles plus copay upgrade (copay can be waived for certain full fare tickets or if you're concierge key); (3) LFBU - buy up at checkin or at airport based on load factors - can be rarer because AA only offers this when any other upgrade request has been accomodated; (4) operational upgrade - really rare; only happens when they oversell the lower cabin and need to "cabin roll" - move elites typically in order of status to the higher cabin. If you tell us the flight number and the date I can check the loads on EF and give you an idea of how likely it might be. Others can comment on the route's upgrade availability. The good news about choosing the 767 is it has far more business seats, the 75L with lie flats only has 16.

Whether the upgrade is worth it really depends on your preferences; your ability to sleep in the main cabin; etc. LIM to MIA is fairly short at 5.5 hours so I can see some saying its not worth it, others saying it would be. At 1.5c a point and the copay you're looking at $375 or so with the copay in value which I don't think is unreasonable given the fare premiums business usually gets but not a steal either.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by lds89
Yes, all of AA's 767s now have lie flat seats in business. They're the Thompson Vantage offset seats. If you can get a bulkhead go for it because the footwell is bigger. Also the seats at the window alternate in terms of being closer to the aisle (with the side table at the window) or closer to the window (with the side table to the aisle). The latter is more private.

Yes, there are four ways to upgrade to business internationally: (1) SWU if you are an EXP (or are gifted one); (2) miles plus copay upgrade (copay can be waived for certain full fare tickets or if you're concierge key); (3) LFBU - buy up at checkin or at airport based on load factors - can be rarer because AA only offers this when any other upgrade request has been accomodated; (4) operational upgrade - really rare; only happens when they oversell the lower cabin and need to "cabin roll" - move elites typically in order of status to the higher cabin. If you tell us the flight number and the date I can check the loads on EF and give you an idea of how likely it might be. Others can comment on the route's upgrade availability. The good news about choosing the 767 is it has far more business seats, the 75L with lie flats only has 16.

Whether the upgrade is worth it really depends on your preferences; your ability to sleep in the main cabin; etc. LIM to MIA is fairly short at 5.5 hours so I can see some saying its not worth it, others saying it would be. At 1.5c a point and the copay you're looking at $375 or so with the copay in value which I don't think is unreasonable given the fare premiums business usually gets but not a steal either.
Thanks I would normally not splurge and technically I have never sat in first class (hey I pay for my own travel and just don't have THAT kind of money LOL) but as i get older or more spoiled I would love to actually lay down and sleep before having to go straight to work. and I know I have done worse on much longer flights but I figured why not, so yes, I sort of feel bad splurging for that but at the same time, I want to see if the extra splurge is worth it and what not. Anyway the flight I requested is my flight back
LIM-MIA on May 14th leaving LIM at 10:10pm, flight AA918.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:22 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I think LATAM food is quite par and not impressed with their business class service either. AA service is a roll of the dice but more likely to beat LATAM so that would be my vote.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks I would normally not splurge and technically I have never sat in first class (hey I pay for my own travel and just don't have THAT kind of money LOL) but as i get older or more spoiled I would love to actually lay down and sleep before having to go straight to work. and I know I have done worse on much longer flights but I figured why not, so yes, I sort of feel bad splurging for that but at the same time, I want to see if the extra splurge is worth it and what not. Anyway the flight I requested is my flight back
LIM-MIA on May 14th leaving LIM at 10:10pm, flight AA918.
Your return flight on 5/14 is J4, meaning that AA is selling a maximum of four J seats. I would not count on the upgrade coming through, but you may find yourself pleasantly surprised. Good luck!
Old May 9, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
Your return flight on 5/14 is J4, meaning that AA is selling a maximum of four J seats. I would not count on the upgrade coming through, but you may find yourself pleasantly surprised. Good luck!
You guys are the best! I will have to evaluate if I may be needing to get an EF subscription myself one day ( I just don't think I fly enough for it to matter).
So silly question:
So J4 means that there are 4 seats left for sale or that AA is only selling 4 seats out of the whole cabin? Where do the rest go then? I'm really just trying to understand the EF site. So would that mean that *IF* those seats are not sold that THEN they would be offered as upgrades?
It's ok about the upgrade coming through, I don't have my hopes up and part of me is wondering is I want to waste the points but at this point too late I already put it in and will just wait and see. I plan on trying to see if I can get an MCE seat at T-24 so that I least I have more leg room on the way back but I keep reading that the exit rows are super cold so for the moment I have my seats selected where I think I will be happy staying put.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
So J4 means that there are 4 seats left for sale or that AA is only selling 4 seats out of the whole cabin?
J4 means that there are 4 seats left for sale in the Business cabin; all others have been sold. From an upgrade perspective, that means that four people have to purchase a Business Class ticket in order for those seats to be unavailable for upgrades.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zpaul
J4 means that there are 4 seats left for sale in the Business cabin; all others have been sold. From an upgrade perspective, that means that four people have to purchase a Business Class ticket in order for those seats to be unavailable for upgrades.
Gotcha! So then if they don't sell then they will open up. Is that something that can be monitored on the regular seat map on AA?
(thinking I may have to start an EF subscription from now on and learn it!)
Old May 9, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha! So then if they don't sell then they will open up. Is that something that can be monitored on the regular seat map on AA?
(thinking I may have to start an EF subscription from now on and learn it!)
You can't really see anything on a seat map that will help you know if they've opened up. Though if the seat map shows full in business class then it's a good guess it's sold out and there won't be any advance upgrades, but there is always the chance for a last-minute cancellation or no-show.
An ExpertFlyer subscription would help you monitor when those unsold seats are released as upgrades, but it's not perfect, because AA may upgrade passengers ahead of you on the waitlist into those seats before EF is able to see the upgrade availability.
Often AA will clear most of the upgrades at T-24h, but they usually leave one or a few seats for sale until the end (depending on the route's history of last-minute purchases/misconnects/etc.)
Assuming you don't clear ahead of time, make sure to speak to an agent at the airport and ensure you're on the upgrade standby list.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Please have in mind that LATAM is being greatly impacted by 787 Rolls Royce Trent engine issue. There are many flights that are being canceled, and recently LATAM wet leased 3 airplanes from Wamos (2 A330s and 1 747-400) to try to help cover the gaps. LATAM issued an initial email to their frequent flyers saying the issues are expected to be resolved by Aug 3 (they later sent a different version with no commitment date).
Old May 9, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You can't really see anything on a seat map that will help you know if they've opened up. Though if the seat map shows full in business class then it's a good guess it's sold out and there won't be any advance upgrades, but there is always the chance for a last-minute cancellation or no-show.
An ExpertFlyer subscription would help you monitor when those unsold seats are released as upgrades, but it's not perfect, because AA may upgrade passengers ahead of you on the waitlist into those seats before EF is able to see the upgrade availability.
Often AA will clear most of the upgrades at T-24h, but they usually leave one or a few seats for sale until the end (depending on the route's history of last-minute purchases/misconnects/etc.)
Assuming you don't clear ahead of time, make sure to speak to an agent at the airport and ensure you're on the upgrade standby list.
Thanks. I didn't realize that I would possible have to ask at the airport but I will do that if it doesn't clear by then.

Originally Posted by nelsinho
Please have in mind that LATAM is being greatly impacted by 787 Rolls Royce Trent engine issue. There are many flights that are being canceled, and recently LATAM wet leased 3 airplanes from Wamos (2 A330s and 1 747-400) to try to help cover the gaps. LATAM issued an initial email to their frequent flyers saying the issues are expected to be resolved by Aug 3 (they later sent a different version with no commitment date).
Thanks for the info but I ended up on AA. So far it looks to be good to go.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Well I figured I'd come back and report that my upgrade got confirmed today and I was able to go online and select a meal. This will be my first time in Business (too bad I plan on sleeping for most of it! LOL).
I was able to go in an select my seat. Went with 8J.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I'm trying to choose between AA and LATAM for JFK GRU for my daughter in-law and lap infant. Under different circumstances, I'd book AA and put in for an SWU for her, but the price difference (August down, September return) is about $600 r/t. Any thoughts on from those who fly both airlines in Y on load factor - hoping GA will keep seat next to her blocked. My son has taken LATAM and its been more crowded in the back LATAM than AA.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george 3
I'm trying to choose between AA and LATAM for JFK GRU for my daughter in-law and lap infant. Under different circumstances, I'd book AA and put in for an SWU for her, but the price difference (August down, September return) is about $600 r/t. Any thoughts on from those who fly both airlines in Y on load factor - hoping GA will keep seat next to her blocked. My son has taken LATAM and its been more crowded in the back LATAM than AA.
My AA flight was SLAMMED both ways it seems, I don't think there were any open seats on the outbound and I didn't notice much on the return since I was playing with my seat LOL
Old May 15, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't possibly imagine how a couple of peoples' experiences on one vs. the other would give you any sort of clue about which flight will be more crowded on your dates.
I mean, you can probably get AA's published load factors for Latin American routes in general (but don't think that includes nonrevs), and maybe LATAM publishes the same for its US routes, but still, that would just be an average for all routes (in the region) on all days. There would be huge variability by individual flights.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
hoping GA will keep seat next to her blocked
Can AA GAs block seats nowadays? I don't think so.

Agree with the above. Anecdotal experience such as "I had the row for myself when I flew JFK-GRU on LATAM last month" is no indication of what the loads will be the day of your flight.

I would assume both flights will be "very full" on the day you want to travel.

AA uses the newer 77Ws but $600 is a significant difference in price. Coach is coach. You can probably bid for an upgrade to J with that money on LATAM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.