Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines wifi - have to pay for 2 different wifi providers for 1 itinerary

American Airlines wifi - have to pay for 2 different wifi providers for 1 itinerary

Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Superjeff
It has nothing to do with American. GoGo is Air to Ground, and Hawaii is overwater - GoGo won't work. If you're on a widebody or a 757 PHX-Hawaii which has wifi, they have to use Satellite based service, which is Panasonic. That simple. And the same situation on United and Delta these days; until the entire industry converts to Satellite based, that's the way it is (BTW, that is in the works, but will take a couple of years).
Has a lot to do with American. They are the ones that contracted with GoGo/Panasonic for their flights. Also worth noting that widebodies on domestic/non-over water flights flights still have Panasonic, so I've often had AAA-ORD/DFW/CLT/PHL-BBB flights where they had different carriers. Very disappointing.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
GoGo is Air to Ground, and Hawaii is overwater - GoGo won't work
Came here to say the same. Seems like the OP is unfamiliar with land vs satellite based in-flight wifi services. Most widebody aircraft that are regularly scheduled to cross oceans will be equipped with a satellite provider. For regular narrow body domestic, it'll be a land based provider.

And if we're going to be nit picky, you can look at the GoGo service coverage map before purchasing. It definitely doesn't show hawaii as covered. You're not buying wifi from AA, you're buying it from gogo.

How did this come about? Southwest has the advantage of pretty much exclusively having a uniform fleet of 737s. Easier for them to develop their own system. However most airlines have opted to contract out wifi services, rather than develop their own proprietary system. AA is not unique in this. gogo land based is cheaper, so that gets put on the narrowbodies. More expensive satellite based goes into primarily the widebodies and any other aircraft regularly scheduled for trans-oceanic.

This will be something to always keep in mind for connecting trans-oceanic flights. Unless a total transition to satellite based comes about.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
It has nothing to do with American. GoGo is Air to Ground, and Hawaii is overwater - GoGo won't work. If you're on a widebody or a 757 PHX-Hawaii which has wifi, they have to use Satellite based service, which is Panasonic. That simple. And the same situation on United and Delta these days; until the entire industry converts to Satellite based, that's the way it is (BTW, that is in the works, but will take a couple of years).
Better yet, provide the wifi for free like Jet Blue.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:11 pm

Except Delta uses GoGo over water just fine (ku & 2ku are sattelite based), so no it isn't a Air-to-Ground vs. Sattelite issue. See the image below for GoGo's current coverage. The problem is specific to American using two separate providers for the wifi service depending on the route, and they shouldn't be selling an "All Day" pass unless it works regardless of which Wifi carrier they're using. If I buy an "All Day" pass from Delta, it works regardless of what flight I'm on. Why would a reasonable customer not expect the same experience if they buy an "All Day" pass from American?

EuropeanPete and jhartvu like this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Apr 3, 2018 at 12:17 pm Reason: Coverage map
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
It's moments like this where I REALLY miss that one month US Mobile had the all you can eat monthly pass for like $25. I'd easily pay $50 for something that worked across airlines and across different types. It was perhaps the single greatest thing ever offered (and FAR too good to be true!).
C17PSGR and deeruck like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: A few here and there
My two cents. (I'm a monthly holder) but, I would be really upset if I bought a pass on American Airlines for a full day pass and on my connecting flight I was told I would have to pay again because it is a different provider. Service is provided by AA (Even if subcontracted to a vendor like Gogo). I have a feeling this is going to become a bigger issue as more planes get converted.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It shouldn't be that difficult for AA to set up an arrangement for pax to buy WIFI day passes from AA (directly) and then direct the payments to the wifi/satellite providers.
For pax that have GOGO accts (or those that get 10 GOGO/per year via AMEX) special adjustments would be made.
PS: an AC day pass is good at all clubs for a day, I don't pay DFW a separate fee and another in ORD.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:12 pm

If you have gogo login credentials you can enter them on a panasonic flight.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
so will it just be UA and DL using gogo moving forward?
United don't use Gogo except on a few 757s doing TCON runs, which was installed long before they moved to equip the entire fleet with it. Otherwise their entire fleet has the Panasonic satellite system.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
unfortunately this means nothing for T-Mobile users.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:01 pm

I've recently purchased GoGo for a TATL flight on Virgin Atlantic..so it definitely works over water. OP is right that AA ought to provide a seamless experience here. Airlines like to brag about how wifi can replace classic IFE, but they need to make the whole customer experience much better for that to work.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Wait, WHAT?!? So having a monthly GoGo pass will work on Panasonic equipped flights?? So we went without WiFi when we didn't have to!?!? <Mind blown>

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Airlines like to brag about how wifi can replace classic IFE, but they need to make the whole customer experience much better for that to work.
That has nothing to do with Air to Ground wifi. That is done by an on-board server which works everywhere. AS has that on their Hawaii flights where GoGo does not have service.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
unfortunately this means nothing for T-Mobile users.
Then switch to Verizon.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by foodie2world
I am a companion pass holder on Southwest. I have never had to pay more than once for a Southwest flight wifi on any itinerary.
Southwest just started putting Panasonic wifi on its aircraft. I believe your day is coming...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.