Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VIP Upgrades (difficulty of using SWU)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA explat 5.6 MM, Hilton Diamond for life
Cool VIP Upgrades (difficulty of using SWU)

There used to be a time when the VIP was automatic, now regardless of when you try and use them they never seem to be available. An agent told me today that they do not release them until closer to the flight on the chance someone might buy the seat....I get that and that is what i expect on my explat upgrades but VIP's used to be special....now not so much! AA "Going for Great"????? Going for mediocre is more like it. Certainly no real VIP experience these days.

YUK, Stars!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DFWHockeyguy
There used to be a time when the VIP was automatic, now regardless of when you try and use them they never seem to be available. An agent told me today that they do not release them until closer to the flight on the chance someone might buy the seat....I get that and that is what i expect on my explat upgrades but VIP's used to be special....now not so much! AA "Going for Great"????? Going for mediocre is more like it. Certainly no real VIP experience these days.

YUK, Stars!
Perhaps that’s why AA doesn’t call them VIP anymore?

It’s still possible to find inventory and apply SWU, but it’s harder to do so since AA has decreased capacity, reduced the size or eliminated upper class cabins and changed the wait list priority to favor status (in order, CK, EP etc.) followed by last 12 months’ EQD spend.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I am 4/4 on Y-->J longhaul SWUs in 2018, 3 of which cleared at booking. The other cleared a month before the (upcoming) flight.

I have still never missed an SWU during my years as EXP.

I find no issues with SWU availability. YMMV.

Last edited by bse118; Apr 1, 2018 at 3:21 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I'm 5 for 5 on TPAC sectors in the last two months and in my history of an EXP I've only ever missed one; a Sat night HKG flight. So agree with bse.

My coworker who flies United almost never gets upgraded when we travel to Asia and I'm always up front. And he has to buy more expensive fares just to try to use his GPUs. And my friends who fly DL struggle to use their GUCs too. We have it better than they do. The reality is that today airlines hardly release confirmable space. I find that the c space usually comes available a few days before flying, with my upgrade sometimes coming day of.
bse118 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bse118
I am 4/4 on Y-->J longhaul SWUs in 2018, 3 of which cleared at booking. The other cleared a month before the (upcoming) flight.
Can you tell us what routes, please? I see nothing available US - Asia at the moment.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broland
Can you tell us what routes, please? I see nothing available US - Asia at the moment.
LHR-ORD (January)
ORD-NRT (January)
LHR-DFW (later this month)
AMS-PHL (later this month)
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA explat 5.6 MM, Hilton Diamond for life
better luck than I

You have much better luck than i do. I have tried to get my wife upgraded on 6 domestic legs in the last 4 months with only one coming on the day of and of course we were unable to sit together.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:32 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by broland
I've had my last two HKG-LAX RT's immediately UPG'able, one in August and the other around T-Day (that also had a DFW-HKG return that immediately UPG'd,) plus a JFK-LHR in April. They're out there, you just need to select the days (midweek is best) that are available and immediately go to ticketing on the phone to make sure it UPG's. Click on the Systemwide upgrade link on the flight selection page and it will tell you what's available.
UA has a similiar feature (shows R fare when you're logged in and specify W or higher,) but higher fare required and seems like less availability than AA.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: LH HON
SWU have been a great asset so far, if you can be flexible in your booking behavior. As other have said, flying out midweek to and fro Asia is a great option (HKG-LAX, DFW-HKG cleared instantly).
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the suggestion! I always check with ExpertFlyer before buying.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It is "rumored" that special SWU availability for EXPs (only) may exist--not listed on EF, is this only a rumor?
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
It is "rumored" that special SWU availability for EXPs (only) may exist--not listed on EF, is this only a rumor?
yes, a rumor. There may be extra coach award availability (there was in the past) but I"m not sure on that. But only a rumor for SWUs.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by lds89
And he has to buy more expensive fares just to try to use his GPUs. And my friends who fly DL struggle to use their GUCs too.
Strong +1.

Not only am I 4/4 on SWUs for the year and 4/6 on Miles+copay upgrades last year (all to/from Japan, including some weekend flights), but those upgrades were confirmed on super cheap Y tix. Even assuming a similar success ratio on UA/DL, purchasing that many upgradeable tickets on either of those carriers would be prohibitively expensive.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nrr
I've heard direct, anecdotal evidence in the past (early 2010s) of the EXP desk clearing SWUs when EF was not showing publicly available C, which suggests that EXP-only C inventory was available at one point. Not sure how common it was.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT

Same here - I've never missed an upgrade as an EXP in my 8 consecutive years as an EXP. I've had a couple come down to the wire, but they've always cleared. I'll admit, as the business cabins shrink, it could get more difficult. I've never had to waitlist on a 787 or A 330. When I've flown on those, I've purchased business, or been able to confirm at the time of booking (rare, but it does happen).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.