Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Carry-on Allowance of Statusholder’s Companion

Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3

Having trouble finding if the Basic Economy over head baggage allowance for those with status or eligible credit card applies to non-status companions on the same reservation. If I might run into trouble from the gate bag checker I'll just bite the bullet and check all of our bags, adding 30+ minutes to our trip.

Policy is not clear. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

Last edited by firemandan9; Mar 26, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It does not apply. They enforce it by the boarding group and because of status or credit card you'll be in an earlier boarding group.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adunker
It does not apply. They enforce it by the boarding group and because of status or credit card you'll be in an earlier boarding group.
​​​​​​
Both Citi and Barclay state preffered boarding applies to up to 4 companions on the same reservation though. In practice this doesn't always print properly on my tickets although gate agents have never challenged me bringing a Group 7 customer into Group 4 before. A big B on the ticket though...

Last edited by firemandan9; Mar 26, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by firemandan9
​​​​​​
Both Citi and Barclay state preffered boarding applies to up to 4 companions on the same reservation though. In practice this doesn't always print properly on my tickets although gate agents have never challenged me bringing a Group 7 customer into Group 4 before. A big B on the ticket though...
Ensure you book on the same record locator, and double check what your tickets have beforehand. Bringing someone up with 9 on will most likely not work.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adunker
Ensure you book on the same record locator, and double check what your tickets have beforehand. Bringing someone up with 9 on will most likely not work.
Companion's ticket printed Group 4 due to my Gold Status so no issue carrying on.
No comment at that gate, although gate agents seem to have backed off on the use of the bag sizer.

Last edited by firemandan9; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Is companion boarding with status-holder an official policy or up to agents' discretion?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Is companion boarding with status-holder an official policy or up to agents' discretion?
In my experience the non status holder gets priority boarding, but I have no experience with Basic fares
In all of my years with elite status I have never had an issue with my non status companion boarding with me when my elite class is called, even if on a different PNR (due to award booking and me paying for my ticket)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.