Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW/PBI or DFW/FLL F fares (sold out or/and higher)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

I fly these routes every two months or so to visit my mom (mostly DFW-PBI as it’s way closer and car rental easier) and aside from the 3x/day non-stop options cutting back to 2x for almost half the year I noticed when I went to book some upcoming flights April-June that F was either completely sold out on weekends or that the R/T fares have jumped from around $750 to close to $1k since I flew earlier in the year and past couple of years. I almost always buy a F class ticket as the fare difference was worth it to me for the guaranteed seat as only being Gold upgrades were rare. Even the DFW/FLL fares have jumped as well. There is no other airline option and taking a connection via CLT makes for long travel days for weekend visits. Are AA fares overall increasing? Surprised to see these hikes particularly in off season. Thanks for any insight.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You answered your own questions. AA is the only nonstop service to your destination, reduced the frequency to 2X, the competition only offers 1 or 2 stop service. AA will charge more. Supply and demand.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arollins
You answered your own questions. AA is the only nonstop service to your destination, reduced the frequency to 2X, the competition only offers 1 or 2 stop service. AA will charge more. Supply and demand.

+1

Welcome to hub market pricing. If you didn't live in DFW and had to connect, fares would be a lot cheaper.
Time is money to most people. And a nonstop will typically command a premium. If you want to protest, fly DL and connect in ATL instead of AA via CLT.
On your return, save money by buying a PBI-DFW-XXX ticket and just have trouble finding the connecting gate, although that only works if you don't have checked bags.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

But the same parameters have existed for years from DFW so thought there might be some reason why such a big jump in just the past few months.

Interesting idea about booking the return return as I always do carry on.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I did some searching and i found F fares for DFW-PBI to be about $775 round trip for the nonstop (similar for the connection through CLT). I checked 5 different long weekend (Thurs-Mon) itineraries in April-May-June.
Oddly, beginning the trip from AUS is about the same or slightly higher. I've generally found AUS-DFW-xxx less than DFW-xxx.

Perhaps if you share some specific dates we can research what might be happening.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:02 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I regularly fly CLT-PBI roundtrips, and the price has definitely gone up over the past year, so it's possible AA is trying to squeeze a bit more money out of those flying from hubs. Also, keep in mind that PBI, especially this time of year, is a popular F market.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
I found similar occurence trying to book PHL-ATH in early June. Expert Flyer shows J zeroed out and all seats occupied. Wondered why all flights going thru LHR and got my answer apparently.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pssteve
I found similar occurence trying to book PHL-ATH in early June. Expert Flyer shows J zeroed out and all seats occupied. Wondered why all flights going thru LHR and got my answer apparently.
??
I'm thinking that you replied to the wrong thread.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
No, just a similar observation where AA is showing sold out J weeks in advance as the OP found for a domestic route.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pssteve
No, just a similar observation where AA is showing sold out J weeks in advance as the OP found for a domestic route.
OP was complaining about the price of nonstop DFW-PBI fares, not J being sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.