Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Business Class - Complimentary Waiting List?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Business Class - Complimentary Waiting List?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
FWIW, I don't think these operational upgrades (when cabins overbooked) are necessarily done purely based on status. I think fare paid / fare class may play into it, as well as agent discretion.
Good point. If the agents have the ability to look at YTD spend I would say that would be the judging metric, no?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Good point. If the agents have the ability to look at YTD spend I would say that would be the judging metric, no?
In my current situation, I don't hope for that because I don't spend very much. I also assume BA doesn't have the ability to do that with my AA spend, and both times they indicated the upgrade was due to my OW status (from my AA PLT status). Right now, I am hoping for a status match from AS based on my AA account, which shows 0 miles for this year. Oddly, my first flight this year on any airline is next week. My last flight was PIA to DFW on 12/25
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I'd say that in a majority of cases your EQD level plays zero part in sorting any type of op-up priority list. Each op-up scenario is uniquely different with regards to how many seats may be needed and the number of elites on the flight. Especially in most instances where the cabin rolls are managed at the gate, it really can come down to luck of the draw and how the gate AAgent decides to manage it.

Case in point, my first ever op-up was on DFW-FRA years ago, I was a lowly Gold, they only needed one seat in the back and gave me the op-up since I had originally volunteered for VDB.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

MCE ist totally ok for me - i was just interested in your experiences while I heard that there were probably OpUps. Within the SWU Thread it becomes obvious that the expiration of SWU can also be modified so i keep the fingers cross that one has an expiring SWU, which he can not use ;-)
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Wow there is a woman on facebook's Irelands travel tips that says she always gets free upgrades by giving candy bars to the GA or FA's. Not any old candy things like Godiva and such. She said it works everytime. On almost all of the major airlines. Hummmmm.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by dm6214
Wow there is a woman on facebook's Irelands travel tips that says she always gets free upgrades by giving candy bars to the GA or FA's. Not any old candy things like Godiva and such. She said it works everytime. On almost all of the major airlines. Hummmmm.
um...sorry, won't work
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
And I just bought 400 lbs of candy bars. Now what should I do. I'm on a diet.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I just bought 400 lbs of candy bars. Now what should I do. I'm on a diet.
I would think that if you handed out 16-oz candy bars to 400 different FA's, there's a very slight chance you would get upgraded once, but probably a greater chance you'll get a bottle of wine. And you'll probably get 325 smiles.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Seems as legit as this piece of work: 2 words that will always get you a first-class upgrade - Business Insider
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I am pretty sure they do not allow GAs that level of information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.