Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Multiple Groups Together

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
That's exactly the issue. When they board early, elites (who earned early boarding) have to stow their bags aft of their seat assignment. Bottom line: when the GA deviates from the boarding schedule, some people lose earned privileges.
I agree with you on the early boarding. I disagree with the statement that overhead space is an issue in group 3. Calling more than one group together is fine with me when the GA knows that the number of people in the two groups is small. Obviously if it's a DFW-ORD flight where more than half the plane is elite, they should not do this. But there are a lot of other routes that are dominated by leisure pax and the total number of elites on the plane is in the single digits. In such a case it really shouldn't be an issue to board together.

I am sure that at some point boarding will be replaced by robots who can use AI to optimize the boarding process (this will likely happen a couple of years after Delta does it).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Why is this an issue? Is it really that important to get the privilege of sitting in a metal tube 30 seconds longer than some other guy? I can see being angry if it gets to the point that groups 6-8 are called early enough that they get on in front of you, because that is when overhead space becomes an issue. The airlines have hit marketing gold with this boarding thing. A "perk" that people will spend thousands of dollars a year to "earn" that costs the airlines nothing.

If I know the flight isn't full I usually wait until the line is gone before I get on.
I used to ask myself the same question when I was non-elite CC holder and would always get group 5 and had no issue with bin space - seeing the folks in the first few groups aggressively hover around the gate I was like... yo you will definitely get a bin. However, now that I have elite status and typically get MCE seats, getting on past group 5 means you will have to put your bag several rows behind your seat, which is why the first few groups are so focused on getting on the plane quickly.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BG's and carry-on are closely aligned because they both go to the key benefit of boarding earlier in the process. Bear in mind that once upon a time, F had the privilege of boarding last when all the common folk were out of the way and the gate and boarding process was clear and quick.

AA has done a much better job recently of enforcing its carry-on policies, especially in the early BG's where self-entitled people who have fallen for the term "elite" created by marketers, think that the rules don't apply to them. While this does not entirely solve all OH issues, it certainly means that BG 1-4 are pretty well taken care of and even further down the line if things work well.

The BG 2-3 distinction is meaningless and a feel good tossed to EXP's flying in Y. If strutting past others takes the sting out of it, so be it. But, it serves no practical purpose.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Report this incident to the airline (and make sure you let them know how critical your business is to them). If you're important enough, they will throw some miles your way.

Please write back and tell us what they say.
I think most of us who care about this do NOT want them to simply throw miles our way. We want them to correct the problem. I have had the issue with bag storage above my seat when gate agents either call boarding for multiple groups together or when they don't enforce what was actually called. A lot of group 2 and group 3 people sit in MCE. It had been indicated AA is now reserving MCE bin space.... However, the announcement has also been that nobody will enforce this reserved bin space. AA has encouraged the use of overhead bin space, by having fees for checked baggage.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE
I used to ask myself the same question when I was non-elite CC holder and would always get group 5 and had no issue with bin space - seeing the folks in the first few groups aggressively hover around the gate I was like... yo you will definitely get a bin. However, now that I have elite status and typically get MCE seats, getting on past group 5 means you will have to put your bag several rows behind your seat, which is why the first few groups are so focused on getting on the plane quickly.
The key here is "past group 5". I agree with this, but some here a complaining that someone in group 3 may get on in front of someone in group 2. I can't believe that on any flight, even boarding as late as group 5 would be an issue.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:39 am

That's exactly the issue. When they board early, elites (who earned early boarding) have to stow their bags aft of their seat assignment. Bottom line: when the GA deviates from the boarding schedule, some people lose earned privileges.
You didn't "earn" it, that's marketing speak. You paid for it.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Score8
I tweeted that I didn't think this was proper procedure
Priceless!

Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
The key here is "past group 5". I agree with this, but some here a complaining that someone in group 3 may get on in front of someone in group 2. I can't believe that on any flight, even boarding as late as group 5 would be an issue.
That's true! I think the issue is that EXP benefits have tapered and the EQD requirement makes it even harder to attain so boarding with groups 3 and 4 adds to the frustration as opposed to a tangible disadvantage.
Aliquot likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:25 pm

for those worrying about "earning" and if their suitcase is overhead a row or two different than your seat: I'm guessing it's hard to walk with butt cheeks so clenched
Good grief you're in the priority boarding group, you're gonna get your bag in, relax
Aliquot likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I have a hard time believing that we have flown on the same flight ever. The first two or three bins of coach are often full by the end of group 3. Sure, if I'm in an exit row in row 15, I agree it is unlikely that there will be any issue in finding a decent spot.

However, as an EXP sitting in coach, I should never have to place my bag aft of where I am sitting, assuming I am ready to board when my group is called.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The original post was related to boarding groups 2,3, and 4 together. I am usually in group 3. I know if 2-4 board together I will have space for my bag SOMEWHERE on the plane.
However, my goal is to have it above my seat, and that is more likely to happen if 4 boards later. I have had it happen at the same time and I did not get the bin above my seat.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
What's the point of having group numbers if you aren't going to do them sequentially? I'll agree that the boarding areas are not generally conducive to efficient boarding procedure, but once the GA's bend to the wills of folks wanting to board before their group numbers, it will be a free-for-all under the guise of 'this is when I boarded last time.'

There was another 'incident' this week where a few folks in group 4 tried to board early and were rebuffed by the GA. The confusion was that their boarding passes said Priority (I genuinely believe they misunderstood) and they thought that they probably shouldn't be boarding with the second half of the plane (elite heavy route).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:28 pm

What's the point of having group numbers if you aren't going to do them sequentially? I'll agree that the boarding areas are not generally conducive to efficient boarding procedure, but once the GA's bend to the wills of folks wanting to board before their group numbers, it will be a free-for-all under the guise of 'this is when I boarded last time.'

There was another 'incident' this week where a few folks in group 4 tried to board early and were rebuffed by the GA. The confusion was that their boarding passes said Priority (I genuinely believe they misunderstood) and they thought that they probably shouldn't be boarding with the second half of the plane (elite heavy route).
I really dont think there is a purpose for having 10 boarding groups except to get people to give AA more money. This has really gotten out of hand. I just want to get where I am going. The only reason I care about status is because I get more redeemable miles. If I am not on a full flight I consider it a punishment to get on before everybody else.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:30 pm

If they were group four they would be gold and would know from flying a lot that some routes are elite heavy and you just have to wait until your group is called, or are you saying someone who paid for priority/has the CC thought group five didn't equal what was marketed to them, which if we put or leisure pax hat on, we can see how "priority" seems quite misleading. That being said I have seen few instances (back when they would announce groups by status and then start with group 1) where people could not hear what the gate agent was saying and assumed that since 3-5 groups boarded it was time for the later groups 5-7 (which would be group 7-9 today) to board and the agent just let them on, messing it up for low elites, those who paid for priority, and CC holders. I've noticed them better enforcing the groups lately, which I appreciate. I know what it's like to be in group 8, which is why I got the CC before I was elite, it's well worth the value if you travel even occasionally.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Group 2 consists only of EXPs who are not in FC.
(
That is the reason that EXP's should be in Group 1. If EXP is not in F then no interference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.