Search

EXP Desk problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
EXP Desk problem

i apologize for not being able to find a thread about this.
I have several trips booked JFK - LAX in discount J that were at 11:30. The flight time was changed to 11:00. I called the EXP desk to change to the 12:00 flight. To my amazement over 50 % of the agents refused to put me on the 12:00 flight saying the same fare code wasn’t available and the change was less than 60 minutes. I have been EXP for about 20 years and cannot recall that kind of refusal before with a schedule change.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was the 11:00 flight number the same number as your 11:30 flight number?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mmgm
i apologize for not being able to find a thread about this.
I have several trips booked JFK - LAX in discount J that were at 11:30. The flight time was changed to 11:00. I called the EXP desk to change to the 12:00 flight. To my amazement over 50 % of the agents refused to put me on the 12:00 flight saying the same fare code wasn’t available and the change was less than 60 minutes. I have been EXP for about 20 years and cannot recall that kind of refusal before with a schedule change.
Are you sure you got an authentic EXP agent? Sometimes, when call volume is high, calls get routed to the next available agent, EXP or not. They may answer as EXP, as that should be showing on their phone. If they refuse, ask specifically if they are on the EXP desk, you may be surprised you got routed elsewhere.

This is how we got the term HUCA. Fortunately there are more great EXP agents than not. I hope the bad ones get weeded out.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Are you sure you got an authentic EXP agent? Sometimes, when call volume is high, calls get routed to the next available agent, EXP or not. They may answer as EXP, as that should be showing on their phone. If they refuse, ask specifically if they are on the EXP desk, you may be surprised you got routed elsewhere.

This is how we got the term HUCA. Fortunately there are more great EXP agents than not. I hope the bad ones get weeded out.
Is there such a beast as "an authentic EXP agent" any longer? I thought that AA had 'enhanced' things so that any Tom, Dick or Jane could answer calls routed to the EXP number? Certainly the aptitude of the agents I have encountered during the past years leaves a lot to be desired.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:14 am

I rang the 'EXP Desk' immediately after the recent schedule change as I had been rerouted from LAS-PHL-JFK to LAS-LAX-JFK resulting in a 1hr 10 min later arrival. The LAX connection was only 34 mins which had me worried but I had enough padding at JFK for my separate ticket connection to an RJ flight so that the 1hr 10 min delay did not matter.

The 'EXP Agent' would not put me on the direct LAS-JFK flight as there was no N bucket availability and assured me that 34 mins connection time in LAX was fine. I reluctantly accepted the schedule change.

Fast forward to yesterday and I am checking my reservations and notice that I am now arriving in JFK 2 hrs 30 mins later than originally scheduled. Without any notice they took me off the 9am LAX-JFK flight and put me on the 10.30am flight. The 34 min connection which was OK to AA 2 weeks ago now seems to be no longer OK.
There was no N bucket availability on any of the LAX-JKF flights but that didn't stop them unilaterally rebooking me onto those flights. It seems lack of a particular fare bucket availability is only a problem when the customer wants to change a rescheduled flight not when AA want to do it

Barring any other significant delay I am still OK for my RJ connection but when they do wholesale schedule changes they could be a bit more flexible about rebooking for the passenger's convenience rather than their own convenience.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Mar 20, 2018 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I rang the 'EXP Desk' immediately after the recent schedule change as I had been rerouted from LAS-PHL-JFK to LAS-LAX-JFK resulting in a 1hr 10 min later arrival. The LAX connection was only 34 mins which had me worried but I had enough padding at JFK for my separate ticket connection to an RJ flight so that the 1hr 10 min delay did not matter.

The 'EXP Agent' would not put me on the direct LAS-JFK flight as there was no N bucket availability and assured me that 34 mins connection time in LAX was fine. I reluctantly accepted the schedule change.

Fast forward to yesterday and I am checking my reservations and notice that I am now arriving in JFK 2 hrs 30 mins later than originally scheduled. Without any notice they took me off the 9am LAX-JFK flight and put me on the 10.30am flight. The 34 min connection which was OK to AA 2 weeks ago now seems to be no longer OK.
There was no N bucket availability on any of the LAX-JKF flights but that didn't stop them unilaterally rebooking me onto those flights. It seems lack of a particular fare bucket availability is only a problem when the customer wants to change a rescheduled flight not when AA want to do it

Barring any other significant delay I am still OK for my RJ connection but when they do wholesale schedule changes they could be a bit more flexible about rebooking for the passenger's convenience rather than their own convenience.
34 mins is not a legal connection in LAX, except for Eagle's Nest connections, where 25minutes is permitted. The first agent didn't bother looking or lied, but your booking was always going to be changed.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Was the 11:00 flight number the same number as your 11:30 flight number?
Interstingly no. So they didn’t even have that reason.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by deeruck
34 mins is not a legal connection in LAX, except for Eagle's Nest connections, where 25minutes is permitted. The first agent didn't bother looking or lied, but your booking was always going to be changed.
Or they only looked at it without re-validating the segments as that would have thrown a warning. I don't know if just viewing n itinerary from an agent perspective would actually show invalid MCTs.
deeruck likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:31 pm

If I not mistaken, at least in native Sabre, it will tell you there is an MCT violation and won't let you end the record without an override.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
This is a prime example of HUACA, Hang Up and Call Again. There is no way I'd accept a 35 min connection at LAX. Or DFW, CLT, and other airports that flight changes have dropped me into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.