Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP Award Ticket - Rebook later for less miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I am EXP and I'm trying to find the most cost-effective way of me booking a business class or higher DFW > FCO (Rome) direct flight around the dates Sept 15-22.

To purchase with miles I'd have to dole out a whopping 280K for each RT ticket. I looked at departure dates in the next 2 weeks for this route and saw that the miles required was far less, in the 110K range. I'm wondering if I can book the flight I want today for the 280K, then keep an eye on award tickets and cancel/rebook if I see that less miles are required for the same flight. I assume so, but just want to confirm there aren't any hidden fees or other "gotchas". How far ahead of the flight do you think I can rebook/ask for the difference in miles to be deposited into my account?

I also have SWUs available and that would be my preference, but in my research, they rarely come available for this direct route. I've already talked to the EXP line and checked ExpertFlyer. No dice. I haven't looked at upgrading with miles, assuming it's the same issue with the A/C seat buckets.

I'm open to other ideas... our final destination is Florence, so I am trying to limit layovers and take the longest direct flight possible.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pdandruffy
I am EXP and I'm trying to find the most cost-effective way of me booking a business class or higher DFW > FCO (Rome) direct flight around the dates Sept 15-22.

To purchase with miles I'd have to dole out a whopping 280K for each RT ticket. I looked at departure dates in the next 2 weeks for this route and saw that the miles required was far less, in the 110K range. I'm wondering if I can book the flight I want today for the 280K, then keep an eye on award tickets and cancel/rebook if I see that less miles are required for the same flight. I assume so, but just want to confirm there aren't any hidden fees or other "gotchas". How far ahead of the flight do you think I can rebook/ask for the difference in miles to be deposited into my account?

I also have SWUs available and that would be my preference, but in my research, they rarely come available for this direct route. I've already talked to the EXP line and checked ExpertFlyer. No dice. I haven't looked at upgrading with miles, assuming it's the same issue with the A/C seat buckets.

I'm open to other ideas... our final destination is Florence, so I am trying to limit layovers and take the longest direct flight possible.
EXP's have no fee for redepositing miles, so you are safe if awards open up for fewer miles.
Have you considered alternatives, or do you have to fly nonstop DFW-FCO?
For example, AA flies PHL-VCE (seasonal), or some other routing into Italy. (Rome Tiburtina to Florence train is under 1 1/2 hours). Venice to Florence is about 2 hours)
zip10001, pdandruffy and JDiver like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
EXP's have no fee for redepositing miles, so you are safe if awards open up for fewer miles.
Have you considered alternatives, or do you have to fly nonstop DFW-FCO?
For example, AA flies PHL-VCE (seasonal), or some other routing into Italy. (Rome Tiburtina to Florence train is under 1 1/2 hours). Venice to Florence is about 2 hours)
I don't *have* to fly DFW>FCO nonstop, but it's preferably. Taking the PHL>VCE route means I just have another stop in PHL. But I'll check into it! Thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Just checked. That flight is about the same... 270K for the non-stop flight in business.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
So right now that is the AAnytime price - I don't think that will go up or down for those dates and you can book into the last seat for that price, so you don't need to book it right away. If you wanted to book it now and later a Saaver seat was released, you could call in and get your miles back for free (as EXP) and then book at the lower rate. But for an AAnytime award, I think the price stays the same once it is loaded, but may be different depending on date (as you see for the next few weeks).

Keep in mind AA flies to FCO from ORD, PHL, CLT, and JFK also during the summer (plus to MXP from JFK and MIA), so those are all options too for SWUs or Saaver availability.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
So right now that is the AAnytime price - I don't think that will go up or down for those dates and you can book into the last seat for that price, so you don't need to book it right away. If you wanted to book it now and later a Saaver seat was released, you could call in and get your miles back for free (as EXP) and then book at the lower rate. But for an AAnytime award, I think the price stays the same once it is loaded, but may be different depending on date (as you see for the next few weeks).

Keep in mind AA flies to FCO from ORD, PHL, CLT, and JFK also during the summer (plus to MXP from JFK and MIA), so those are all options too for SWUs or Saaver availability.
Good info. I hadn't considered MXP... thanks.I'll look into all the nonstops to FCO and VCE throughout the U.S. Not ideal to add a stop, but it's biz or bust for us...and I'm not excited about paying full fare.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
September is still a ways away, given that you have some flexibility in dates I'd say it's very likely that better options will open up before then at the sAAver rate (57.5k miles per person, each way). The busy summer season to Europe really starts to die down after about mid August and completely tanks after Labor Day in September.

As mentioned above, there is no need to book the AAnytime award now, unless the flight is close to selling out in business. An AAnytime seat will be available as long as there's at least one seat for sale. I'd just keep an eye on it, if it starts to fill up close to 100% then you could pull the trigger, but until then as an EXP there's really no need.

As to the timing, there is no time limit or requirement for canceling and re-depositing miles from an award. And there are no other "gotchas." If you're making last minute changes, the only real requirement is that you book with enough time before that the award has time to ticket, usually 2-4 hrs. depending if you have partner carriers on your itinerary.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by iadisgreat

I agree. You do not HAVE to book the AAnytime award now, but if you want specific seats, it might be a good idea.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The root of your question was already answered - you are EXP so no fee to redeposit. But I thought I'd point out (or remind you) that even if a saver rate shows up, you need to watch out because my experience has been USA-Europe awards often book on BA metal which transits through Heathrow, resulting in some pretty high carrier surcharges.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
you need to watch out because my experience has been USA-Europe awards often book on BA metal which transits through Heathrow, resulting in some pretty high carrier surcharges.
I mean, you can see what flights you're gonna get and what it'll cost before you book it...it's not a grand conspiracy or scam.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I mean, you can see what flights you're gonna get and what it'll cost before you book it...it's not a grand conspiracy or scam.
Right, I wouldn't re-book on a different route. I think I'll probably go ahead and just book for (SO's) peace of mind, since there's really no downside other than not having the miles in my account. Thank you all for the help.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My only pondering on booking now is the consideration that the airline will have sold 2 more seats than otherwise ; is such a situation likely to lead to a lower chance of U class availability being released
Spiff, msv777 and T/BE20/G like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by pdandruffy
Right, I wouldn't re-book on a different route. I think I'll probably go ahead and just book for (SO's) peace of mind, since there's really no downside other than not having the miles in my account. Thank you all for the help.
Not sure what you mean - but if you mean you don't have the miles NOW to book - clearly you can't. I suspect you mean you will have far fewer miles in you account for other use - but are you planning another trip before then? If not, why care?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
The only "gotcha" I would add is that you can't do the change online, you'll have to call. Once you have the 280k tickets booked, if you try to book the saver tickets, AA.com will recognize the double-booking and tell you no. Of course, you could cancel the 280k tickets first and then book the savers, but you risk having the availability go away during the intervening few minutes.

I'd also add that getting an expertflyer subscription and setting alerts is well worth the time & money for a situation like this. You can easily set it so that you'll get an email whenever 2 saver seats open up on your desired flight(s), and you can set lots of different alerts for different routings.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I wasn't implying it was going to charge OP without his consent. My point rather was that right now the AAnytime award might be on AA metal with ~$5 fees, but when the Saver award pops up it might have ~$400 fees.

OP - sounds like you're booking for now for peace of mind. You may also want to review the AAvacations thread. Plenty of reports, myself included, of 2 business class tickets + hotel for ~$3000/person. I know that's not the same as "points plus taxes" but compared to the cost of 560,000 AAdvantage miles, I thought it worth mentioning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.